United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 14s
Overall Rank = 46/720
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/103
Pre-race routine:

Checked in the day before and drove the run course and bike course, and then rode part of the bike course. Since it's a point-to-point race they ask that you check your bike in and leave it there overnight, which I did. Was walking around and checking out the water since it was supposed to be pretty cold and ran into a friend from high school and college. He and his wife came back to do the tri; I think it was their 3rd year. Talked to them about it for a while and then had to get going. Stayed at my grandparents' house the night before since it was about 20 minutes closer (meaning 20 minutes of extra sleep). Woke up at 6 and had breakfast - egos with syrup, a banana, and Cytomax PreFormance. Showered and stretched and went out to the park where T2 and the finish is to set up T2 and start my warm-up. While there I ran into a guy I knew from when I was younger. Talked to him for a few minutes and he was nervous as hell since it was his first triathlon.
Event warmup:

After I set up T2 I went for a quick and easy 1/2 mile warm-up run with some pick ups. Hopped on the shuttle and went out to T2 (about 25 minutes away). Made sure everything was alright on my bike, set up my transition, and went for an easy ride. I was mainly concerned with the chain dropping, and all the hills on the bike course so I did repeats on a hill moving back and forth between chain rings. No problems (even though I was babying it). Got back to transition and about 10 minutes after I got back they closed it. Grabbed my wetsuit, hit the bathroom, and went to check out the cold water I'd heard so much about. I did about 200 yards for a warm-up and to get used to the water. On the warm-up it was a little cold at first, but once you were in it wasn't bad. Actually, for all the complaining I'd heard about how cold the water was going to be I was pretty let down. It was 60 degrees so there was no problem. Oh, I saw about a 12-inch bass on the warm-up too. He was probably about 5 feet underneath me and didn't move at all when I swam over.
Swim
  • 09m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

They shortened the swim course from 660 yards to about 440 because of the water temperature. My opinion is that that was the wrong choice. Once the race started and I got in the water I didn't even notice it. I could have stayed in for a lot longer. I'm glad I didn't have to, but the water temperature had nothing to do with that. Also, when they announced that the course was shortened, they said it was somewhere around 440-500 yards since they forgot the GPS so they didn't know how long it really was. With that in mind, swim splits are meaningless and I just put 440 in the space shown for distance.

I was in the 4th heat. Watching the first one go off it looked like there was some crowding, but they got it straightened out after the first buoy. Not the case with my heat. With the shortened course, they brought the first buoy in so it was probably only about 100 yards out. Unless you were a really fast swimmer and could get good separation in the first 25-50 yards, you were more or less resigned to the congestion. I started on the outside on the left. Got in the water and went hard, but I'm not a fast enough swimmer to get out in front. There was plenty of bumping and hitting going on and it was tough to get into any sort of a rhythm. At the first buoy I literally sat and bobbed in the water for about 5 seconds waiting to be able to get by. I got into a good rhythm for maybe 100 yards on the next straight, but hit congestion again at the second buoy, and again at the 4th. The one thing that did help was being able to breathe on either side. I think if the swim were the regular distance it wouldn't have been as crowded, but I guess I shouldn't complain since it's my weakest event.

Since the timing mat for the swim exit wasn't until right as you were entiering T1, the swim times were a little longer than just the swim itself. If I had to guess my pace, it was probably about 1:50/100yds, which is slower than t-pace.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need to work on my open water mass swim starts and sighting. I didn't really panic, but didn't get relaxed either. If I were to do it again, I'd start in the middle and go out a little bit harder for a longer distance and not worry about getting into any rhythm until after the first buoy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

For T1 you had to run around to the back and then through the transition area so everyone went the same distance (approximately). There was a mat down leading the way around, and the ground was otherwise rocky and not something you want to run on with bare feet. I got behind a couple guys that were slow, but it was probably only a few seconds in the overall scheme of things. Also, in T1 you had to put your wetsuit in a bag tht was marked with your race number so they could bring it to the finish later on. That was kind of a pain, especially when you pack as poorly as me, but everyone had to do it so no big deal.

Run around the people instead of waiting behind them on the mats.
Bike
  • 52m 47s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't really sure of what my race pace should be for this since A) I've been doing the time trial series for the last 6 weeks, which is all out, as hard as you can go. And B) I wanted to make sure I wasn't blowing up on the hills while climbing. As it turns out, I probably went a little too easy on the climbs. That's not saying I was taking my sweet time going uphill, but I could have pushed the pace a little bit more. I only got passed by one guy that was getting out of his saddle on every climb, and other than that I picked off people the rest of the ride. Too bad most of them were 25-29, though there were a few 30-34s in there. I figured I'd see the guy that passed me again and I did - he was hanging his head and looked pretty worn down on one of the longer climbs. At the top of one of the climbs there's a big white rock in the side of the hill that says "Jesus Saves." Considering that climb was awful, my only thought was that if Jesus wanted to save, He could have started the downhill a lot sooner. Going downhill, I was surprised that not many people were pedaling. I think my max speed got up to 42. Talking to my friend after the race he said the course rode a little slower and he got up to about 47 last year and only 40 this year (due to a slight headwind). Anyway..... The roads were mostly smooth and there were no problems with my chain dropping so that was good.

Attack the hills better.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I stumbled a little bit getting my feet back on top of my shoes to pedal up to the dismount, but considering it was the first time I've done that, it wasn't all bad. Got into the transition and ran past my spot by about 10 feet. No big deal. Everything else went smoothly.

Not go by my transition spot.
Run
  • 30m 24s
  • 4.31 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

The two things I heard the most about for this race were the cold water temp and the hill coming out of the run course. Unlike the water temp, the hill was the real deal. It sucked. Out of transition you run maybe 100 yards to the foot of the hill and then it's up. I started out jogging it, but was getting destroyed. Having talked with my friend and his wife the day before, she said that last year she walked and didn't lose any time. So for the top quarter of the hill, I started walking, taking long strides. Once I did that, the guy next to me did the same, but the guy in front of us kept running. I didn't lose a step on him and he probably put out twice the energy. After that I just had a hard time getting my legs under me. I was passing people on the run, but felt slow. Once I hit the turnaround I started feeling better and picked up the pace a little bit. Even then my legs felt like they were shot and I was running slow, but I couldn't go any faster. From a breathing standpoint I was fine. I felt like I was only using about 85% of my lung capacity, but my legs were fried and I felt like I was at about 105% of my LT (if that's possible). Also, once I got over a certain pace my IT band would start aching so I held back just under it. Coming in was alright, except the big hill was tough to go down. I'm kind of surprised noone wiped out coming down it since you really have to control your speed. I passed someone just before it and as I got to the bottom I heard footsteps behind me so with about 0.2 miles left I picked it up and started my final kick through the finish.

Not really sure what I could do differently. I wonder if it would save any time to just run hard up the hill and recover over the next quarter mile before starting tomove again. That would be pretty tough to do though.
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade and water while watching others come through.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably a few things for this. 1. I was at a 3-day bachelor party in Las Vegas the weekend before. Not exactly the best way to start a taper. 2. Time trial that I PR'ed at on Wednesday. 3. Driving from Denver to IL 2 days before. 4. IT Band. 5. Didn't know the course.

Given all those things, they're not excuses and a couple of them could have been prevented so that's my own doing.

Event comments:

My goal for this race was to qualify for AG Nationals, which required a top 10% finish. I was 13/103 so I didn't meet my goal. The swim could have been a little better even though I didn't have a time mapped out for it. I wanted to hit 50 minutes or better on the bike and didn't. On the run I was hoping to run about a 6'50" pace, but didn't do that either. Overall it was a good first race of the season and given that it was only my 3rd tri ever, it's still a learning experience.

Aside from the shortened swim course, I thought the event was well organized and the volunteers were all good. There were cops and cars throughout the bike and run course to make sure traffic didn't interfere, and that everyone was staying on the course. I don't know what my tri schedule will be for next year, but I'd have no problem adding this one in again.

Last updated: 2006-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:10 | 440 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 241/720
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Power Glide Full Suit
Course: Mostly a circle swim. 3 rights and a left to bring you back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:47 | 16.8 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Overall: 51/720
Performance:
I didn't wear an HRM.
Wind: Little
Course: Closed course with plenty of hills. Some were rolling, others were steeper. Not too many flat areas - you were pretty much either climbing or descending.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:24 | 04.31 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 51/720
No HRM
Course: Big hill coming out of transition with a gentle incline after that until the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 1:10 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Galena Triathlon

2006-05-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: #429826

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Galena Triathlon
Great RR!  I like how you self critiqued your performance.  I think you race smart!  Walking the hill was a better choice than running it and recovering on the way down.  THat may have madee you blow up and never to recover.  More time running will help you out!  Great race!
2006-05-22 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
I grew up in IL too - "Galena" caught my eye when looking through the race reports. Nice work! I bet that's a pretty area to ride/run. The bass would have totally freaked me out though!

Laughed at your Vegas taper. Isn't it funny how the schedule works out like that sometimes? You were probably up until 6am the weekend before...and then this weekend you were waking up at 6am.

2006-05-22 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Your run time was so fast!  Are you sure that included the "hill"?  Great rr, great job!
2006-05-22 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Nice Race!! Someday I hope to be able to come close to those times.
2006-05-24 6:07 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Sorry I am just getting to this race report now. COngnrats on your first tri of the season!!! Awseome job too! SOrry you didn't meet your goals, though. It's hard when it is the first race of the season and you are just getting into the groove. You did amazing in your AG..so close to qualifying!

2006-05-25 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago

Great effort, that's a really nice run time for having a big ugly hill you had to walk.  I did the same thing at Lake Geneva last year only there were several ugly hills I had to walk.  It's hard to make yourself do that when you know you have done the training but like you I found it didn't cost me too much.

Nice job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galena Triathlon Rss Feed