BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Second Wind Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2012-04-06 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: The Second Wind Group - CLOSED

NAME: cup06champs/Brett “Chick” (Twitter: @chicktsw)

STORY: I got into triathlon after several years of running.  I talked with a friend in the fall of 2010 about wanting to do a triathlon one day.  We decided on a local sprint in April 2011 and signed up.  As the saying goes, the rest is history.  As 2011 progressed I completed a total of 4 sprint triathlons.  In the summer of 2011, my friend and I started a multi-sport ministry called The Second Wind (Twitter: @the2ndwind and Facebook: The Second Wind).  The ministry aims to connect walkers, runners, cyclists, swimmers and triathletes to use the endurance platform as a means to make disciples of all nations.    

FAMILY STATUS: Married 15 years with two daughters (3 and 8).

CURRENT TRAINING: In the process of training for my first half ironman on May 5 (White Lake Half).  Planning on a variety triathlons this season and a couple of 5K's. 

2011 RACES: 2011 was a productive year for me.  I had a variety of races beginning with a half marathon and on to sprint triathlons.  Started with 2 sprints that were pool swims and then 2 sprints that were open water swims.

2012 RACES: Currently registered for the White Lake Half Ironman on May 5.  This will be my first HIM.  Plan to enter some local sprint and Olympic races during the summer.  Leading a group via The Second Wind though a 12-week training plan for a local 5K in Raleigh, NC.

WEIGHT LOSS: This is not been an area of focus for me over the years fortunately. I am a tall triathlete at 6’-4” and weigh 197.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This is a great learning opportunity for the mentor as well. This past season I was a mentor for the first time and found great value from the members with their insight they provided.  Most importantly, I want to assist the new triathletes in assisting with their learning curve, helping to prepare them to reach the start line for their first event.

Edited by cup06champs 2012-04-25 11:05 AM

2012-04-10 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4133662

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: The Second Wind Group - OPEN

Hiya!  I'm Robin,  (extremely busy at the minute), and would love to join a group of like-minded Christians!  This is my 3rd year of racing, 2nd mentor group (joined), and was a mentor in the late winter/early spring.  I will post my bio as soon as I have a minute...

2012-04-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4141846

User image

Expert
C-bus

NAME: Robin (or on here, people usually just call me sungirl)

STORY: A very sports-minded child/adult from the get-go.  I played the traditional sports growing up: soccer, volleyball, basketball (in college, too), softball and was a lifeguard for 10 years or so (but never on a swim team).  But, as you get older, the team sports dry up.  Ran for a while, then while pregnant, started going to fitness classes at the gym.  That was good for a while.  Found a great instructor who pushed me hard and really increased my strength. 

Since I stopped teaching to stay home, I needed personal challenges, and took up triathlons.  I've been surprisingly successful with a podium place at every race buy my first one. Surprised  7 out of 8 isn't too bad! 

FAMILY STATUS: Married 11 years with two kids (5 yo daughter and 7 yo son).

CURRENT TRAINING: One month until a half marathon (May 5th) so I'm focusing on that, but simultaneously building up for a very busy racing season.

2011 RACES: Indy MiniMarathon (PR 1:47), one early season sprint, 2 OLYs, and an HIM (Rev3 Cedar Point).

2012 RACES: Cap City Half Marathon (5/5), Deer Creek sprint/oly (haven't decided yet on 6/3), Columbus OLY (6/24), Defiance sprint (7/21?), Cleveland OLY (8/5), USAT AG Nationals OLY (8/18), Rev 3 HIM (9/8). I didn't plan on it being so busy.  The Defiance race has $500 for the top finisher and looking at the results from last year, it looks possible.  AG Nats was also a surprise.  Someone has to finish last among the FAST people, might as well be me!!!!

WEIGHT LOSS: Just trying to stay stable.  But losing those last 5 pounds thanks to my kids would be nice, too.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I like to bounce ideas off of others, cheer others on, and to help give advice when it is warranted.  I would, however, like to find encouragement and also be a Christian example in the field.

Edited by sungirl919 2012-04-10 8:23 PM
2012-04-11 8:38 AM

Norman, OK

Hi there!  I want into this mentor group.

Name:  stegaman/steven

Story:  I was never much of an athlete.  I played baseball and soccer as a kid, but that ended as a freshman in high school to give me more time to focus on my music.  I didn't really do any physical activity again until college when I play intramural sports, but still not enough to get into any decent shape.  After I graduated college, I didn't work out at all and actually had money to buy real food, so my weight ballooned up to 215lbs, gaining 30 lbs in 6 months.  When I realized how heavy I had gotten, I started going to the workout room at the office 3 times a week.  Along with healthier eating, I was back down to 185 again in 4 months.  4 years later, still at that same weight, I got married, after which I started gaining weight again.  My wife and I decided to join the gym down the street to try to get in better shape.  We also signed up for our first sprint triathlon early last fall.  Between the gym and the training, my weight dropped to 160, the lowest its been since my early years of college.

Family status:  married to a wonder wife for 1.5 years, no children

Current training:  In the middle of a plan for my first olympic distance triathlon on June 3

2011 Races:  Ran a local 5k in april and a local sprint triathlon in september

2012 Races:  Ran the Seabrook Lucky Trail Half Marathon (my first half marathon) in march, Route 66 olympic distance triathlon, June 3, thinking about doing the Redman 70.3 in september and possibly IMTX in 2013

Weight loss:  Down 55lbs from my all-time high 5 years ago, 30 of which was lost last year.  Now trying to maintain my 160lbs, but make myself leaner.

Why I want to join this group:  I also like the idea of a Christian mentor group.  I hope this is a place to bounce ideas off of other triathletes, as well as find encouragement to keep up all of my early morning running.

2012-04-11 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Hi Robin and welcome to the group!  Impressive with 7 out of 8 podiums!  Your half is just around the corner.  Almost taper time for you.  Good luck in that race. 

I am currently training for my first HIM on that same date (May 5).  We will see how that goes.  It has been extremely hard to get the cycling in between work, family activities and The Second Wind.  Regardless it has been a great experience and looking forward to the challenge. 

Thanks again for joinin the group! 

2012-04-11 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Hello Steven and welcome to the group!  How is your olympic distance training coming along?  Feel free to ask any questions here as you prepare as you will find great encouragement from the members.

Thanks again for joining the group!

2012-04-11 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I'm having flashbacks to February.  With a georgeous, warm hot March, it certainly was not fun dressing in my layers for my 13 miler today.  Cold, breezy and clouds.  (But without these days, it's hard to appreciate the hot weather!)  What did you do today?
2012-04-11 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
I went out early for a 5 mile run at 4:30 am.  This is my normal routine for Wednesday's.  Temp here in NC was not too bad at that time.  Throughout the day the winds really picked up, so glad I got my run in before then.  Off to the pool first thing tomorrow morning.
2012-04-11 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Nice site btw!!! 
2012-04-11 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Thanks.  We are just a year into this ministry and it is amazing to see what God is doing.  This week we started our spring season for training for a local 5K.  We had over 30 participants at our first running meet-ups last night.  I love being able to help folks train to reach that goal of completing their first 5K.

If you are interested, we also have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/thesecondwind), Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/the2ndwind) and a YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/the2ndwind1?feature=mhee).

2012-04-11 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4144633

User image

Expert
C-bus

Now if only I was in NC.  That would be a fun thing to do... right up my alley!  But,

4:30 am ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

I may be nuts, but I'm not crazy!  (slightly green with envy that you can do that, though)

Edited by sungirl919 2012-04-11 9:12 PM

2012-04-12 4:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Crazy is right, but I start my running at 4:30 am on Wednesdays and Fridays. It is the only time I can get my workouts in between work and family activities. There is a subdivision near where I live I run through.
2012-04-12 8:16 AM

Norman, OK
I do most of my running at 5am on Monday wendesday and friday.  Also, because its the best time to fit it in my busy schedule.  The first two weeks were tough to get up that early, but not that i'm into a routine, its gotten much easier.  now, my alarm goes off and its like, "i'm awake now, better go run and get it done with."  but once i start, i really enjoy early morning running.  Its so quiet and peaceful that early, and I often find myself just jogging and staring at the stars.
2012-04-12 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I'm hoping the "early morning" trait will come to me through osmosis of being in the same mentor group as you both.  Early mornings and I have never played well together.
2012-04-12 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Hi, I am interested in joining this group too.   I'll post a bio a little later today, but I'm kind of "off the couch" and training for my first "big" race later this summer.  I can relate with juggling lots of different responsibilities and trying to train properly too.  
2012-04-12 1:38 PM

Norman, OK
welcome aboard dprocket!  the more the merrier.

2012-04-12 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Welcome to the group dprocket!  Looking forward to seeing your bio once you have some time to post it.
2012-04-12 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

NAME: David aka dprocket / Twitter: dpanjada / Blog: workoutblogger.com

STORY: I am brand new to triathlons.  I was a strong swimmer growing up, have always hated running.  About 3 years ago my wife and I (both athletes in high school) started a "biggest loser" challenge with each other.  I went from about 225# to about 190#.  Then, we both went into the world of P90x and Insanity workouts.  My "fighting weight" was 178# and then in Nov. of 2010 I tore my knee out placing football.  I had ACL reconstruction in February 2011 and basically gained weight from too much weight lifting and little cardio.  I've always admired triathletes but never thought I "could" because of my disdain for running.  When I invited one of my buddies (who is an extreme distance runner and triathlete) to work out with me (in "my world) I realized that athletically I could do it if I applied myself.  So, I'm in the "just do it" phase.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 11 years, 4 children (8,7,1 and one in the oven!).  My life is very busy and I don't have tons of time to train.  My workouts happen between 4-7am and that is one reason I was attracted to this group. I'm also very involved with my church and family.  Any "workouts" that happen in the evening involve strollers and bikes with training wheels!

CURRENT TRAINING: I decided in late March to enter an indoor sprint on a "whim".  I spent the next 1.5 weeks running on my treadmill to make sure I could run 2 miles.  On 3/31/12 I did the race and actually did very well.  I won my heat and got a few prizes.  It was a small race but it was what I needed to get me hooked.

I'm now eyeing an Olympic race in mid-June, a Sprint in August and then a half Ironman in September.  My goal is to "finish well" this year and then next year really try to improve and who knows...

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 6' and 193#.  I can afford to lose some belly fat and hope that my training will help with this.

MENTORING: I can't mentor anyone because I know nothing.  But I am a bit of an addictive personality and I soak up information. I love to help people and share info as I come across it.  I'll chime in on any topic I know about which this week includes: GPS watches, my new bike, injuries (calf strain), etc.

2012-04-13 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Thanks for the bio David.  Welcome to the awesome world of triathlon.  I hear ya on the working out early in the AM.  Maybe we will see some entries from Robin that she has gotten in some workouts at o'dark thirty.  We can always hope...lol.  I loved your comment about any workouts in the evening involve strollers or training wheels.  I would categorize them both as workouts. 

Feel free to share any advice you would like to pass along regarding your gear.  You can never get enough info on topics like that. 

Have a great day!

2012-04-13 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4147844

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I should be getting a Timex Global Trainer GPS watch in the mail sometime today.  I'll post my thoughts on it in a few days.  I did a ton of research on it and with my limited budget, thought this may be a good option.  We'll find out soon.

I'm trying to recover from a calf strain so I'm not running at all right now. I swam this morning and I've been turning without touching the wall (no flip turns, no kicking off the wall).  My thinking is that since I'm preparing for an open water swim, I won't have the luxury of generating power off the wall so I'm just going for distance without the extra push.

I know the other lap swimmers probably think I'm nuts.  This morning a guy swam next to me and was really challenging me.  It was frustrating to get passed while I did a "slow" turn (while he flipped and kicked off the wall)...I'd blow by him just before we hit the wall again and he's pass me by.  Oh well.  

2012-04-13 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
I am interested in what you have to say about the global trainer. It is on my wish list. If you don't mind, where did you order it from and what was the approximate cost?Your approach to the turns without touching the walls makes perfect sense. You are exactly right when it comes to open water. No walls out in a lake or ocean to push off of.

2012-04-13 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4148082

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I bought it on Amazon for $120.  That includes the heart rate monitor.  After doing tons of research, I learned that Timex released a "newer" GPS watch called the "Run" Trainer which is a bit smaller (not as gigantic, I should say).  It has very good reviews, but it isn't specifically "multi-sport".  Plus, it's about $60 more expensive right now.  I know the Garmin XT watches are considered top-tier, but they're not in my budget right now.  The Global Trainer has had numerous firmware updates and some other posters on here convinced me that its now the same software as the newer "Run" trainer.  As I said, I'll know more next week....
2012-04-13 9:12 AM

User image

Layton, Utah

I would like to join your group also. I will post my bio later when I get time.

2012-04-13 9:49 AM

User image

Layton, Utah

NAME: lalvey/Lynn Alvey

STORY: I have been riding my bike to work for the last four years but never really pushed myself to do any more then required. Last year my brother competed in two Olympic Triathlon and peaked my interest. We will be doing the Vikingman Olympic Triathlon together in August; it should be fun competing with my older brother. In High School I was always the athletic one but he is in much better shape than I am now. 

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 30 years this August with five daughters (17 to 28), one son (7 in May). We also have four granddaughters (2 to 6) and one grandson (2 months). My family is very import to me.

CURRENT TRAINING: In the process of training for my first sprint triathlon in July and first Olympic in August. I currently run about 20 miles a week and ride about 80. I am just beginning swimming which will be the hardest of the three sports for me.? This year is a base building year and don't really plan on doing any speed work until July.

2012 RACES: My first race will be a 5K run on May 5th and June 9th I will do  10K.I am currently register for my first sprint triathlon July 28th and my first Olympic on August 25th. I will finish of my season with a half marathon on September 29th.

WEIGHT LOSS: Began training on January 25th at 234, I am currently 213 and have a goal of 185 by the beginning of July.

2012-04-14 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I'm not sure how to ask questions on here...do we just add to the thread to make one big gigantic never-ending thread?

I have a bit of a confession: I'm scared to death of my bike.  I got a new tri-bike last Saturday and have just dabbled with it trying to figure out how to ride it.  Since I work out early in the mornings I've not felt comfortable taking it out for a big ride yet since it's still dark.  I'm hoping to put some more time in this weekend.  But, is this normal?  I'm not comfortable in the aero position (hands away from the brakes...having to change position to brake).  I'm paranoid of hitting a pothole/bump/rock etc.  I'm paranoid trying to shift at any speed right now.  I'm paranoid to transfer from aero position to brake without changing my balance on the handle bars....riding this Cervelo tri bike is a far cry from my Wal-Mart mountain bike! 

I'm sure all of this will change with time, but if anyone has any feedback, let me know.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Second Wind Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13