General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona or Maui? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-09 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: Kona or Maui?

My wife and I, along with my 9 year old son are potentially moving to either Kona or Maui later this summer, early fall.

We both have job prospects in Kona and Maui and obviously this will determine ultimately where we'll move.   However, there are a few things that are important for us in our decision process if/hopefully we get the choice of the 2 places.....although Kona is looking more like where we'll get hired.

Anyhow, we currently live in Colorado but are transplanted from Florida 3 years ago.   I love Colorado, but my wife hates the winters.   We have pursued Hawaii because of the climate and the ocean.   We both love the ocean and beach (since we both grew up in Florida) and want to live relatively close by.  We understand and don't expect to live right on the beach, but we want to live where we can have access with <30 or 20 minutes.   We also want a slower lifestyle than we have here in Colorado.   We homeschool our son, so schooling isn't an issue.

I guess what i'd like to know is of the 2, if you had a preference....where would you live?   More laid back/slower lifestyle.   Good beaches that aren't crowded with tourists.   Swimming, snorkeling, fishing, sun bathing (for the wife of course).   And good active healthy community with tri's, runs, biking events, etc.

We won't be buying a house, looking to rent a small 2 bedroom house.....nothing fancy.   So any help with real estate would be cool too.

Just putting out there and looking for some honest help and advice.   I have done research and understand the increase in living expenses all around, so i'm good there.   Just maybe some experience from those living in either Kona or Maui about what they like/don't like and what they could recommend for living?

Also, we are coming to Kona in 2 weeks for a visit/business and Maui in May (Lahaina).   Maybe some tips about either place would be cool too.

Looking forward to the responses. 

2012-04-09 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4138406

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: RE: Kona or Maui?
Also, if anyone is an RN or has a spouse that is an RN....any connections between the two islands would be great too.
2012-04-09 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Well, having lived on Maui 20 years and visited the Big Island several times, I have this to offer:  I'd probably choose Maui.

• The economy on the Big Island is still pretty depressed while Maui is experiencing a little bit of a rebound. 
  • Commuting is less on Maui, since everything is a little closer together.
  • Less air pollution (kona is frequently socked in with vog, so if you have asthma or allergies, watch out)
  • Lots of swimming-friendly beaches (I can't say the same thing for Kona) which spreads everyone out so they are frequently uncrowded.
  • I can't speak too much for the training and racing available on the Big Island, but Maui truly has everything: great aquatic centers (which are FREE), great swimming beaches, a very active running community (check out Valley Isle Road Runners website virr.com), and one road triathlon (june) and Xterra worlds (October).  Miles and miles of relatively safe roads for cycling.

Rent for two-bedroom cottages range between $900-$1500/month on average, depending on location and condition.

Other than being very far away from my family, there isn't much I don't like about Maui.

I'm not a parent, but I hear the schools aren't great - OOPS - read about homeschooling...so not an issue for you.

We live in Makawao, about 20 min from "downtown" (Kahului), the airport, and the closest beach.  Everything else is under a hour to most places.

If you want to know more, just PM me! 

2012-04-09 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I live on Kauai, but I would pick Maui over the Kona, like the person before me said for the same reasons. Also Maui is more lush where the Big island is so new you look at a lot of old Lava fields...

I am also an RN and work at a hospital. There is a union here. Kauai is a great place to live!

2012-04-09 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I live on Kauai, but I would pick Maui over the Kona, like the person before me said for the same reasons. Also Maui is more lush where the Big island is so new you look at a lot of old Lava fields...

I am also an RN and work at a hospital. There is a union here. Kauai is a great place to live!

2012-04-09 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia

No island specific advice, just some notes

Have you spent any significant amount of time here? Moving and living in Hawaii is a lot different than visiting. Everyone is always really jealous, but it's not like we're sitting on the beach drinking mai tais every day. 

The time difference is really noticeable too, at least if you have family/friends on the east coast. 6 hours means that you have to call people before 2pm and it's a pain if you have to call some customer service places. 

Online shopping does not always offer free shipping to Hawaii even on free shipping promotions.

There's no off season and Christmas cookie season coincides with bikini weather.

Don't think that nicer weather means more daylight hours - since we're near the equator we're closer to 12 hours of sunlight all the time, sunset is at 7:15 in June.

Last I checked for a plane ticket to LA was $800. So it's not cheap to leave either. However, if you have any desire to go to Australia or New Zealand, you're basically halfway there compared to everywhere else in the US!

All that said, we've been here almost 6 months. Both my husband and I are still glad (I think) that we moved here, but we'll be ready to go when his tour is up.

2012-04-10 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Thanks for the responses thus far.

We are headed to Kona in two weeks for a trip and Maui in May. We have a small family that does live on the east coast, but honestly it will be nice to get further away (you really dont want the details).

We have done all the research and we know about life in Hawaii and the challenges.. ie shipping costs and costs of getting back to the mainland, etc. Honestly, if it wasn't for the poor healthcare, we were looking at the US Virgin Islands and Gaum. We cant risk taking a young child somewhere medical care is iffy.

A tropical climate is what we are looking for right now. We would never look to go back to Florida and Hawaii is where we want to give it a shot.

To the first responder about Maui, are there local beaches that aren't consumed with a million tourists? That was my biggest concern with moving there. Know much about Lahaina? That's where we'll be for two weeks in May. Not that it's where we are looking at, just looked like a decent place to stay while there visiting.
2012-04-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4140308

Veteran
Honolulu
I am born and raised in Hawaii (Oahu) but moved to Kona in my freshman year, stayed for 20 years. If I had kids I would not live there. There isnt much for a kid to do unless you surf. No public trans on either island. I moved to Maui in 2003 to escape the bad air, traffic, drug addicts, lack of social life, great distances to drive, no amenities. Maui is a million times better to live, but pricey for housing, gas, food. More job opportunities, although really only 1 hospital. Many jobs in medical but pay will be less than mainland. Feel free to PM me about Hawaii any time as I have been to every island. I'm now back on Oahu btw.

Edited by HonoluluAngel 2012-04-10 12:24 PM
2012-04-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4140308

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

xmann1102 - 2012-04-10 3:52 AM Thanks for the responses thus far.

To the first responder about Maui, are there local beaches that aren't consumed with a million tourists? That was my biggest concern with moving there. Know much about Lahaina? That's where we'll be for two weeks in May. Not that it's where we are looking at, just looked like a decent place to stay while there visiting.

There are so many swim-family friendly beaches that I think everyone is spread out fairly well.  Of course weekends and holidays will be a little more crowded, but never to the levels you see on the mainland.  We live in Makawao but usually go over the west side (Lahaina) and walk Kaanapali beach with our dog on the weekends.  It's a nice walk, we can get a good swim, virtually no other locals are there (because it's touted as a tourist beach) and rarely do we see another dog.  Hop over Black Rock to the beach north of Kaanapali, Kahekili Beach, and you get another nice stretch for walking, swimming, snorkeling.  Plus its a great place to start a brick workout!

Further up the west side: body surfing is great at a beach called Slaughterhouse - lots of steps down to the beach, though, so hard to haul a lot of stuff; and surf is premier at Honolua Bay (with great snorkeling in the summer, but again difficult to access).

Central/North shore, Kanaha Beach Park - mostly kite and windsurfing; Baldwin Beach - beautiful long stretch of beach, few people, great keiki (child) beach at the end protected by a reef; Hookipa Beach park mostly surfing and windsurfing.

South Shore (Kihei/Wailea) - all the way out at Makena - huge, popular beach but rarely crowded (watch the shore break!!) and beautiful swimming; beach fronting the Makena Resort (old Maui Prince Hotel) - picnics, swimming, family beach; Polo Beach and Wailea beach the same; Keawakapu beach in Kihei - good family beach; Kam I, II, III beaches - great for picnicking/family.  Sugar Beach in north Kihei - great for long walks - swimming is rough due to reefs.

That kind of covers the "hot" spots. Smile

2012-04-12 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Thanks for all the replies! We leave for Kona in 10 days. But from the looks of it, our trip to Maui may be more worth wild. Appreciate the candid responses.

I have a question if someone might be able to answer if they know any RN's or might be an RN themselves. I have read numerous places that jobs are scarce and hard to come by. However, I just took a look at Maui Memorials employment listing and I qualify for 6 or 7 jobs they list available. What's the story with getting a job there? My only concern is the fine print that says you have to be a resident of Hawaii or plan to reside in Hawaii to be considered eligible for hiring. Now I can understand why, but how would one get hired if the plan was to move after obtaining employment? Anyone know how this works?
2012-04-12 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4145297

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I am a critical care RN and work on Kauai. When I first moved here I got hired before I was actually living on island. I would apply. Do you you have your Hawaii RN license yet?  How much experience do you have?

There is a union here and seniority plays a big part when someone is considered for specific jobs sometimes..

2012-04-12 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

xmann - PM me with your email address and I'll connect you with my friend, Robin Ferrier, who is an ICU nurse at Maui Memorial.  Maybe she can give you the inside scoop.

2012-04-12 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Very cool! Right now it's looking like July or August when we will move or a tad sooner if a job for me pans out. I have 5+ years of experience. I've primarily done telemetry and med/surg, but I did do 2 years of step down too. I have the Hawaii paperwork for my license, but just waiting till we visit and know we would definitely move. I'll do that after our visits.

I'll send pm's to you both later tonight. Any contacts would be awesome. I just didn't know if they would hire unless you actually live there. Thanks!
2012-04-12 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4147330

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

You can also see if there is any travel contracts? Sometimes there are... We have had a bunch in our ER due to the fact no-one could stand working for the manager and nurses wouldn't last long. Now we have a new ER manager and amazingly they are keeping nurses... Call Human Resources to find out the scoop as well...

2012-04-12 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Must be reading my mind....I'm working with a travel company now as it is. If you get the chance, ask who most at your hospital use. I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see what kinda vibe they give me.
2012-04-12 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Oh Di, I can't figure out how to pm using my iPad. If you don't mind, my email is [email protected]. Shoot me an email or pass it along to whoever might be of help.

2012-04-19 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Leaving for Kona this Sunday.   I'm working with a travel nursing agency about getting me somewhere....either Kona or Maui for a 13 week assignment.
2012-04-25 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Hi gang! So we have been here for a few days and our initial assessment is we really liked Hilo alot better than Kona....... But like the weather more in Kona. Beaches in Kona have been awesome.

However, I have another question I'm hoping someone with personal experience can answer.

#1. We didn't see alot of swimming friendly beaches in Hilo. Are there many and easily assessable?

#2. My travel nurse recruiter has a possible job for me in Hilo or Lanai. Anyone have any personal experience or know much about Lanai? I see its small and close to Maui..... Which is really fine by us. But again, how about family friendly assessable beaches?

My assignment would be for 13 weeks and trying to decide if either Hilo or Lanai would work for 13 weeks. I think we could definitely do Hilo as I thought it had a more small town feel, which is exactly what we want. The rain I could learn to live with. But mostly I want any info on Lanai if anyone knows anything.
2012-04-25 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4173263

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Lanai is very quiet and beautiful, nice beaches for swimming and snorkeling. I would think food is super expensive there and probably would only be good for a 13 week assignment, but I would choose Lanai over Hilo if it were my choice.
2012-04-25 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Ya i was curious about the food costs there too. My wife works for a SNF who has a facility here in Kona and they want to hire her asap. Problem is she only works parttime to home school our son and Kona doesn't seem to have any openings. Was thinking of calling the HR tomorrow to see what they say.

Hilo seemed cool, but don't know if I can take the daily rain and still don't know what beaches they have over there.

Lanai seems cool though assuming food isn't too bad.
2012-04-26 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Lanai is super remote and expensive, but has a neat small-town feel.  There is essentially one nice beach there - Hulopoe Bay - near the boat harbor.

Most residents take the Expeditions Ferry over to Maui to do their "stock up" shopping at Costco, etc.  Plan to buy a LARGE cooler to fill with food and haul over there with you.  There are no major grocery stores, and no fast food.  I think there are one or two small restaurants in addition to the two hotels.  It is privately owned island and the resorts are managed by Four Seasons.  Everyone is essentially there to serve the resorts.

A friend of ours was an EMT assigned over there -essentially a pre-retirement assignment - nothing ever happens over there. Smile

2012-04-26 2:41 PM

User image

New user

Hilo, Hawai'i
Aloha, I moved to Hilo from Seattle 8 yrs ago. I brought my wife and 2 small children. Since we've been here we added another child (4, 8 and 10yrs) and I have transitioned from being a Federal employee to a small business owner. My wife had the most apprehension over moving here, as she grew up in Chicago and didn't know if she could handle the heat. The temp here rarely reaches the high 80's, usually high70's-low 80's. It does rain a lot in Hilo particularly in the winter, but most summer and spring rain comes at night. For me the sudden, often heavy, but usually short and warm rain storms, are preferred to Seattle's cold and constant drizzle. Kona weather is much dryer than Hilo, but they have the vog, (that haze that hangs over Kona), but the Costco and white sand is on the Kona side so we usually head over once a month or so. Hilo does have a handful of great swimming b. eaches (not the white sand postcard type), where my kids would spend all day, everyday if they could. I do most of my training at a spot called 4 mile, (which is also my kid's favorite spot), or at one of 2 free County pools. Hilo does have a great small town feel. My wife and I sometimes think were missing something by living in such a small town, (concerts, fine dining,...), then we take time to stop and look around at what we do have, and for where we are in our lives Hilo is perfect, we really love it here.Feel free to pm me if you need more info. Laki hau'oli (good luck)!

Edited by kahiona42 2012-04-26 2:47 PM
2012-04-26 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Ok, did research on Lanai last night and read essentially what Di write. We are adventurous, but thats too much for us.

Another question about Maui, the hospital is on what looks to me the eastern coast, correct? That being the case, are there plenty of swimming, snorkeling, body boarding, etc spots on that coast? Seems most of the great swim spots on the island are the western side. My recruiter is trying to get me into Maui but we really really really want relatively close beaches. How is Maui over that side?
2012-04-26 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Ok, did research on Lanai last night and read essentially what Di write. We are adventurous, but thats too much for us.

Another question about Maui, the hospital is on what looks to me the eastern coast, correct? That being the case, are there plenty of swimming, snorkeling, body boarding, etc spots on that coast? Seems most of the great swim spots on the island are the western side. My recruiter is trying to get me into Maui but we really really really want relatively close beaches. How is Maui over that side?
2012-04-26 5:07 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Maui Memorial Medical Center is where, what I would call, "Central North."  It's sort of on the north shore of the island, centrally located in Wailuku (the County seat - LOL - do people use that term anymore?).  If you live in Central Maui (Kahului/Wailuku/Waikapu) you are really no more than 45 minutes from virtually any beach on the island (with the exception of Hana, which is more of a 1-2 hour drive).

If you are considering Hana Medical Center (very small, rural medical center but badly needed in the area), you will be 1-2 hours from "town" (Kahului) and is on the eastern coast of the island.  There is a small general store and a gas station in Hana, a couple of small restaurants and a hotel, but that's about it.  Hamoa Beach is beautiful and in the area, but can be rough due to the east-facing shoreline.  There are smaller beaches along the scenic Hana Highway.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona or Maui? Rss Feed  

of 2