General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Poll of sorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-22 11:15 AM

Subject: Power Meter Poll of sorts
Tell which one you own (make and model), what you like about it and what you dislike about it.

If you were going to make the purchase again, would you do it? Would you buy something different?

2006-05-22 11:59 AM
in reply to: #430239

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Power Meter Poll of sorts

I have a powertap. It's new for this season, but I've found it immensely useful already. Primarily as it's a better measure of 'work being done' than HR is.

I have a PT Pro for a training wheel in the Mavic Open Pro rim. For racing, it's a PT SL built into a Zipp 404. I use the same CPU/Computer for both. Just swap the rear wheel and I'm ready to race.

Haven't had any problems with it so far.

I chose to go with two wheels for racing and training, but it's certainly possible ( and more economical ) to go with one wheel for racing and training, and use a disc cover for racing so that you get an aero benefit.

My only gripe is the lack of support for anything other than Windows for the software, but I'm used to that, so I make do.

If money was no object, I'd go with an SRM.  That integrates into the bottom bracket.  The benefit here is that you can then run any number of rear wheel options, including a true disc wheel, without changing a thing.  With the PowerTap, because it's built into the rear hub, you have to have a PT hub for every wheel you want to use with power data, and currently the only way to get a disc is to use wheel covers on a spoked wheel.  I got the two hubs and a set of 404s for about what an SRM would cost, though, so unless you've got unlimited budget, or plan to run with more than 2 different wheel options, the PT is a better deal, IMHO.

Edited by coredump 2006-05-22 12:07 PM
2006-05-22 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I was at a Joe Friel workshop last month.  At one point he asked how many in the audience had power meters on their bikes.  When only a couple of people raised their hands, he basically accused the rest of us of being in the dark ages technology-wise, and that in five years they would be as common as HRM's are now, particularly as the prices start to drop.  He is convinced that power meters are THE way to train on the bike.

I love gadgets and technology; the only reason I don't have one is the cost.  Other things have a higher prioity on my list right now (like a new tri-bike).

Mark 

2006-05-22 12:45 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Ergomo and Power Tap. Ergomo is better as I can use my race wheels - more later this week in the race report from Memphis. I ran both at the same time at Memphis in May and they were suprisingly close.
2006-05-22 1:05 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

PowerTap SL.  Built into a Velocity DeepV wheel and use a wheel cover on it for racing.

Just got it a little over a month ago and still learning how to get the most out of it using the CyclingPeaks software.  But the ability to see real-time how how are expending your energy is very useful--provides a much greater appreciation for the lag in HR.

The lower cost alternatives (Polar, the still unseen iBike) seemed to have questionable reliability.  SRM just seemed too pricey.  Ergomo seemed like a legitimate option, but was harder to get info on as they had just redesigned their units recently--reviews seem positive.  I'm pleased with the purchase and have no regrets about the choice.  The wheel cover effectively turns it into a disc.  And while it's relatively heavy, I feel it is worth it to have the power option (and aerodynamics are more important anyway).

2006-05-22 1:14 PM
in reply to: #430349

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

I'd be happy to purchase one if Joe Friel's CompuTrainers didn't cost so freaking much.  When my heart rate monitor costs $100 and the power meters (at least the accurate ones) are $1,000+, I don't see that as comparable technology.  The power meters have cost around this much for 8+ years, so the technology isn't as readily adopted (and driving the price down) like PCs, MP3s, digital cameras, etc. 

I may be in the dark ages, but I have to recognize my $$ limits when it comes to training tools. 

Perhaps Mr. Friel can drop the price to a more reasonable level and he'd see more adopters.

Edited by lobstergirl 2006-05-22 1:16 PM

2006-05-22 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Power Tap SL. Bought it in January and after a couple issues got it working correctly in early Feb. I got it on a Bontrager Race Lite and my intent was to only use it for training. I regret that decision as I now want it when I race. I used it in my first 3 races this year to get a feel for what wattage I was racing at. I am considering getting the disc wheel covers if they will work on my wheel. I bought an extra harness and installed it on my road bike so I could get power data on either bike by just changing out the rear wheel. I bought mine from an LBS guy that seemed like he knew alot about it. He doesn't so I am learning how to use it as I go. I frequently sneak peeks onto other PT user logs on BT for tricks and workouts.

The software that came with the unit is okay. I am now using the Power Tap Link that came with the unit and the Power Agent that cycle ops has on there web site. Power Agent has better graphs but the Power Link is easier to use and get interval data. I hate to pay to use Joe Friels stuff but I probably should.

2006-05-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #430485

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Manatee Express - 2006-05-22 1:16 PM Power Tap SL. Bought it in January and after a couple issues got it working correctly in early Feb. I got it on a Bontrager Race Lite and my intent was to only use it for training. I regret that decision as I now want it when I race. I used it in my first 3 races this year to get a feel for what wattage I was racing at. I am considering getting the disc wheel covers if they will work on my wheel. I bought an extra harness and installed it on my road bike so I could get power data on either bike by just changing out the rear wheel. I bought mine from an LBS guy that seemed like he knew alot about it. He doesn't so I am learning how to use it as I go. I frequently sneak peeks onto other PT user logs on BT for tricks and workouts. The software that came with the unit is okay. I am now using the Power Tap Link that came with the unit and the Power Agent that cycle ops has on there web site. Power Agent has better graphs but the Power Link is easier to use and get interval data. I hate to pay to use Joe Friels stuff but I probably should.

Check out http://www.wheelbuilder.com/ for getting a disc cover trimmed for your wheel.  Reasonable cost at @$75 I think.

Also, the Cycling Peaks software is excellent and the book "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" (Allen/Coggan) can be picked up at Amazon for @$15 and has good info in it.  At least the latter is definately worth the $.

2006-05-22 2:22 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I've got the PowerTap SL. I found a great bargain on eBay and even bigger bargain from Rich at wheelbuilder.com. The wheel I bought was a 32 hole hub. I have 650 wheels and the combination really limited by rim selection. On top of that, it was a Campy free hub that I was going to have to change out (which would have cost me an extra $50 or so). Rich took my 32 hole Campy, swapped it for a 28 hole Shimano, and built it up with a Mavic CXP33 rim. I also had him cut me a cover to fit for my races.

I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I'd go with the SRM if I had the cash. But for now, I'd do it all over again. In a year, there will probably cheaper and/or better options. But I think the PT is the way to go for now.

My coach, Jamie Cleveland, was glad to hear I had a PowerTap. It makes his workouts for me much more specific. For example, tonight's workout is a 2.5 hour ride. Without a PT, it would have read "15 min strong with 5 min easy, 2x10 min fast with 4 min easy, 3x5 min max with 3 min easy". Instead, it says "15 min at 215 watts, 2x10 at 225 watts, 3x5 at 235 watts." Much more specific.

PowerTap or no, the disc cover is the absolute best value for a rear wheel. You get the lenticular shape, which is supposedly a thin hair better than a flat disk, for a mere fraction of the price.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Poll of sorts Rss Feed