General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on run workouts before swimming workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-10 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Thoughts on run workouts before swimming workouts

I have always done my early morning swim workouts and then ran in afternoon or evening.  I am doing the Fink Ironfit and am having trouble fitting in the 1 hour runs on Tue/Thu when I get home with the kids/job/house stuff/tired/etc.  The pool has been extremely busy for some reason this year at 5am and I have been getting in around 6am.  My thought was that I could get to the gym at 5am and get my run in then do my swim immediately after.

Does anyone regularly do this and if so does it affect your form with tired legs?  On a positive aspect would it be some type of recovery for my legs by swimming?

Just curious as I have never even considered it but am thinking about trying this week. - Thanks!

2012-04-10 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4140582

User image

Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Thoughts on run workouts before swimming workouts
Far be it from a newb like me to counsel you on this, but every time I have run first and swam later, I have had foot cramps during the swim, and other triathletes have told me the same.  I'm sure technique and level of effort have a lot to do with it as well.
2012-04-10 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
I've done a lot of my longer swims after my long runs and don't feel I have lost anything in the pool. I think the pool actually helps me recover from my runs. I've gotten in the pool when the legs felt very stiff from running and after swimming I feel so refreshed. I have cramped a couple times towards the end, but that was because I didn't refuel properly or bring nutrition. Go for it!
2012-04-10 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I do a lot of swim, then run, but sometimes the reverse for time or pool availability reasons:  Just did 90 min. run followed by 3000 yard nonstop swim on Sunday, f'rinstance, and that went fine.  It is important to be careful of starting your swim workout overly dehydrated...I find it's harder to spot the effects of dehydration progressing during a swim than during a run (e.g., not noticing my lips getting excessively dry, that sort of thing).
2012-04-10 12:36 PM

User image

I'm about as new as you can get at tri's and swimming, but I have been doing a lot of 6-8 mile long runs and then swims.  The plan I was using had me doing a run and swim on Wed/Fri/Sun.  I'm one of the wierd people who actually likes going for a run when the sun is bright so I'd get off work and go for my run, then head to the pool when the sun was going down (yes I took a shower).  I noticed nothing bad and as others said its a nice recovery after the run.  The swim actually becomes relaxing.
2012-04-10 12:43 PM

Master
Northern IL
tmoran80 - 2012-04-10 10:08 AM

I have always done my early morning swim workouts and then ran in afternoon or evening.  I am doing the Fink Ironfit and am having trouble fitting in the 1 hour runs on Tue/Thu when I get home with the kids/job/house stuff/tired/etc.  The pool has been extremely busy for some reason this year at 5am and I have been getting in around 6am.  My thought was that I could get to the gym at 5am and get my run in then do my swim immediately after.

Does anyone regularly do this and if so does it affect your form with tired legs?  On a positive aspect would it be some type of recovery for my legs by swimming?

Just curious as I have never even considered it but am thinking about trying this week. - Thanks!

Go for it. If you have a work day in there, that is plenty of time to recover enough from the running for a decent swim. You shouldn't be that tired from 1 hr runs. Otherwise you're doing it wrong.

2012-04-10 1:07 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
If it works for your schedule, then give it a try (especially if other oprtions are not working for your schedule).  It absolutely will impact the quality of your swim (negatively)--though to what degree is harder to say.  And only if you swam very easy would it be considered a form of recovery from your running (in which case, it won't be very useful for your swimming).  But you'll probably be better off, for the most part,  if this schedule allows you to do more work.  I would try to do at least some 'fresh' swimming on the days where you want the most quality in the water, though.
2012-04-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4141188

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

JohnnyKay - 2012-04-10 2:07 PM If it works for your schedule, then give it a try (especially if other oprtions are not working for your schedule).  It absolutely will impact the quality of your swim (negatively)--though to what degree is harder to say.  And only if you swam very easy would it be considered a form of recovery from your running (in which case, it won't be very useful for your swimming).  But you'll probably be better off, for the most part,  if this schedule allows you to do more work.  I would try to do at least some 'fresh' swimming on the days where you want the most quality in the water, though.

I agree with ^^^this^^^, though I'd say that (IME at least) running affects swimming a lot less than biking affects running.  I'd much rather see someone doing run/swim regularly than bike/run regularly.  But in the end, getting the time in probably trumps not being able to do the run in both cases.

2012-04-11 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Saturday is the only day I have access to a pool for over 45-60 minutes. It's also the best day for me to do longer run workouts, since I have more time in the AM when it's cool (and I don't have to go to work). So I almost always do a long run, or a slightly shorter run (60-90 minutes) with some speedwork, Saturday AM around 6 or 7. Pool hours are 2-5 PM, so the workout has to go there. The main issue is mental--hard to do two long and/or hard workouts in a row, esp. that close together. But I've never any any serious problems with cramping; usually don't feel unusually tired. The swim seems to help recovery from running, even if I'm swimming hard. You do need to pay extra attention to hydration and nutrition between workouts as poor hydration can lead to cramping on the swim and the workout will be sluggish if you haven't refueled adequately. One thing I WOULD avoid is a very hard run workout and then a swim time trial--I did this once and really thought I'd puke--just a bit too much anaerobic stuff for my poor slow-twitch body to handle!
2012-04-11 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice - didn't really think much about the hydration aspect of swimming after running.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on run workouts before swimming workouts Rss Feed