General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are you there to finish, or are you there to win? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-04-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4143346

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: RE: Are you there to finish, or are you there to win?

I don't race to win or loose. I race to conquer fear and to stand on the precipice before the race and to give it my all. I race because every moment during the race I have to battle that part of me that wants to quit. That's why I race.

I try not to pay too much attention to the place I get... but frankly, if I don't win my AG (Excepting a semi-sponsored person showing up in my AG), I feel like I failed in my training, even if I didn't in my racing.  I guess I'm not a beginner any more, though. 

2012-04-12 9:30 AM

Regular
Toronto, Ontario

I'm there to beat my PR.

I am attempting my first oly distance this summer so for my first race, I'll be there to finish.

2012-04-12 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Are you asking what I'm doing, or my thoughts on what you are?

If it's what I think about your plans, then it sounds awesome. What ever brings you happiness and a sense of fulfillment.

If you're asking if I am there "to finish or to win," I suppose the answer is neither/somewhere in between.

Finishing isn't a big deal to me. It's not a challenge. But I am also probably not going to win (unless it's a small race :p). I'm there to go as hard as I can given whatever training I have under my belt (<--which varies wildly). Where ever that puts me in the standings, that's where it puts me.

2012-04-12 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa

If I were just there "to win," well that's so unlikely there wouldn't be much point in signing up.

I'm out there to compete. I'm racing against the other entrants in my age group, category, whatever. I want to see how I stand against them. I want to keep getting better.

If I do come in last, well I did finish and I "lapped everyone on the couch." Smile

Because I do keep entering things and do keep trying to get better, maybe someday I will win.

2012-04-12 11:09 AM

User image

Pro

Craig Alexander interview, post IM Melbourne

"Had I come in second and Brownie'd got on top of me, and I'd  fought to the death, that's still a success in my eyes."

This interview sums up what it's about, do your best, never give up, and that's the definition of a win.

2012-04-12 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4143374

User image

Extreme Veteran

JZig - 2012-04-11 9:55 AM I'm fast enough to compete for the podium in my AG at small to medium sized events.  So in general I'd say I'm there to win.  Even in larger events where I don't have a prayer I'm always trying to go as fast as I can and place as high as possible.

^^^this

2012-04-12 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4144899

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Experior - 2012-04-11 9:51 PM I'm there to win.  I'm not going to water that statement down in any way.  I want to win.  I've accomplished that goal exactly once in my life, and I'm not self-deceived about the likelihood of it's ever happening again, but if you are ahead of me in a race, I want to beat you to the finish line.  Afterwards, I'll turn around and genuinely, with honest enthusiasm, congratulate you and everybody else for their fantastic accomplishment.  Until then, I want to finish before you do, preferably by a lot.

Pretty much this.  Will it ever happen?  Most likely not but I am definitely playing to win, no matter if it's triathlon, running, checkers, chicken dancing etc.

2012-04-12 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
I am there just to beat my times and finish strongly, especially in a HIM or greater.  Unlike many sports I played growing up (team sports) this is different.  Like a poster said above that there is probably only a small fraction that have a chance to podium overall and age group , so if your times are not close why stress about it.......for example I am 40 with wife kids my own business who trains a lot but I cannot compete with the 40-44 y/o who is single and no kids who can comparitvely speaking,  live and breath tris and train a lot more than me.
2012-04-12 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I'm there to crush dreams.
2012-04-12 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Houston

I'm not going to win.  I want too, but it isn't happening.  I'm not going to be MOP... not for a while.

For the first year I decided to focus on longer... more than faster.  It was a way to keep the accomplishments visible.

I did a bunch of sprints, then a few Oly's and now a HIM. 

I'm not going to hit a full anytime soon.... but a HIM is long enough that I can shave time off in chunks large enough to feel like it is an accomplishment. 

My goal is to do another one in November and shave an hour off.  I have about 5 Oly/sprints between now and then I will continute to try to improve on as well.

2012-04-12 3:57 PM

User image

El Paso, TX

Great topic!

With my family as my first priority I race and train to stay in shape and have fun.  There seems to be some very competitive racers in my age group so I dont think winning will be an option for a while.

2012-04-12 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

My first goal is always to finish, of course. If you don't finish, then it's hard to talk about meeting any other kind of race goals! And a race I didn't finish would be one in which something had gone disastrously wrong!  When I started training again, after running at a high level years ago and winning quite a bit, I just assumed from now on I'd be racing to finish, or maybe place in my AG depending on who showed up. I just aimed to do my best effort each time. To my suprise, as time went on, on occasion, that resulted in me placing or even winning, AG or overall. The first time I placed in my AG, I didn't believe it--I thought they were calling me because I'd won some kind of drawing! And the first time I won overall, I just kept saying, "How's that possible?" LOL

I can't really say I'm racing to win--I'm just trying to do my best, and if anyone's in front of me when I'm doing my best on the run, I'm going to try to pass them. If there are still people in front of me when I reach the finish line, so be it. Unless you're so fit you just crush all your competition (in that case, you're mainly racing yourself/the clock), whether you win/place overall or age group largely depends on who shows up on a given day and what condition they're in. I can guess that in some highly competitive races in the US, I'd be hard pressed to crack the top 10 in my AG; at 42, I've won women's overall in two smaller regional races here. The races I'm proudest of are not necessarily races that I won; generally they were really hard efforts against very strong competition.

2012-04-12 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'm there to test the effectiveness of my training, prove something to myself, and have a good time.  I am a long way off the podium in my AG, but I keep close attention to my split times and I know when I have, or have not, improved over my last race.
2012-04-12 10:28 PM

Houston

Finish.  I completed the Ironman 70.3 Galveston on April 1, 2012 and not only was it the best time I've had in a long while, I'm so proud of myself.  I was close to last, but I was so happy when I met my goal of finishing the swim in under an hour and going for 8 hours total, that I would do it again in a heart beat. 

I'm not very competitive with others. I do like to challenge myself.

2012-04-13 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
I'm there to have a good race.  I expect to finish (or that wouldn't be a good race).  If I've done the race before, I want to go faster than my best time in that race before.  I want to race smart and follow the strategy I planned.  I want everyone to have a good race and I want to be motivated to do my best that day by racing others.  And I want to enjoy the day, regardless of the outcome.
2012-04-13 1:00 PM

I am there so that I cannot sleep the night before because I am too restless/excited.  I am there to waste time at work thinking about tomorrow's training or my next race.  I am there to feel giddy and sing aloud to the radio as I drive to the race at 5 AM.  I am there to feel my mouth go dry and heart beat faster before the start.  I am there to try my hardest and validate all the time and training I put into getting ready for the race.  I am there to compete with myself and others and see how I do against whoever shows up.  I am there to laugh at myself afterward because I swam off course, screwed up a transition, or made some other error that I can later use to convince myself that I could have gone faster.  I am there to analyze my race performance to needless detail.  I am there to say I did it when so many people can't.

If that is "being there to win," then I am undefeated.

2012-04-13 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

In order to finish first, one must first finish.

If my effort nets me an AG spot, fantastic.  If not, and I feel like I performed to the level I have trained, that's okay too.  Most often, for me, it depends on who else shows up.  I can get comfortable with the same AGers I race with locally, then a hot shoe shows up and burns us all.

In the end, I'm there to finish.  Haven't had a DNF in 7 years of racing (yet...knocks on wood).

2012-04-14 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France

Finishing isn't really an issue for me because I race short distances only that I know I can finish (super sprint, sprint, 12k trail races, cross country racing). That doesn't mean, however, that I'm not plagued by negative thoughts when the going gets rough in a race Undecided. So I'm thrilled when I cross the finish line - whatever my position.

My goals are to race to the best of my ability, come out of a race not hurting for days on end and to  beat as many people as possible.  However, I must admit that I secretly nourish the idea of a podium one day. A lot of our triathlons have a club division and non club division. Since most people race/train with a club, depending on the non club competition, I may one day have a chance.Laughing

2012-04-14 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
To finish and keep improving.  I am not in a race to win it, but I am in for the personal accomplishment and the limit pushing.  I am addicted to the challenge and the mental toughness of it for me.   When I stop upping the stakes for myself, I might as well hang up my running shoes Laughing
2012-04-14 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4150486

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-14 12:48 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
To win.  Sometimes I compete against my past performances.  Sometimes against the guys in my AG.

2012-04-14 7:45 PM

Regular

I am competitive and I want to win - and it drives me. Having said that, I am competing as much with myself. this last event I won my AG by 10 seconds, with one reason the guy who would have likely won no showed. I beat the time I set for myself by almost 2 minutes which was my real goal. 

Two years ago I was over 300 pounds. Now I am just over 200 (actually was weighed in at my last group as I race as a master clyde), with a body fat measured at 14%. I want to be the absolute best when I show up at the start line and compete to win. But I know people out there are faster than me so its somewhat luck of the draw. So if I win, and I improve and give my best great - if I compete my best and do not podium - still a victory. Given where I was and where I am now, part of the victory is the effects of the "tri lifestyle" has given to me.

Ran a 5k in Oct, and was running with this guy - he beats me by ten seconds and finishes 3rd in his AG and I finish like 8th in mine; ran another 5k in March where I won my AG because it was not that fast or deep - I was not pleased with my time but I won. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are you there to finish, or are you there to win? Rss Feed  

of 3