General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in the heat questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-12 12:55 AM

User image

Subject: Running in the heat questions
I have a few questions about running in high temps. I noticed my pace drops about 10 seconds per degree F with the same HR. Why is this? How can I minimize it? I love science and knowing why my body does what it does. Off course higher outdoor temp equals higher core temp. But why does higher core temp have to equal lower pace so dramatically? Also, at what point do you say this is torture and unproductive and take it to the treadmill. I live in south Louisiana so the treadmill in the AC is very tempting. I realize I will not get better in the heat unless I run in the heat but at what point does the pace get so slow that it is a waste of time? Which would produce better fitness gains? Option 1 - run in the heat at a 10:00 to 10:30 pace? Or option 2 - run on the treadmill at a 7:30 to 8:00 pace? My logic is telling me that I get a better workout when I run faster, but is that the case? Now.... Before all you hard core outdoor only running types start harping on me for not spending time in the heat to acclimate, let me say that I work outside in the heat all day so I am definitly accustomed to my environment. Also, if you have never been to south Louisiana in the summer then there is no way to fully understand how bloody hot it gets down here. 90 with 50% humidity is one thing and 90 with 100% humidity is a whole different thing. BTW it gets much hotter than 90

2012-04-12 1:17 AM
in reply to: #4144976

User image

Subject: RE: Running in the heat questions
Correction - after looking at my logs it's more like 5 seconds per degree. Still a bit much, in my opinion.
2012-04-12 4:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I would run in the mornings or evenings. Running in the middle of the day is just stupid when its 105 with 90% humidity. I did that a couple years back and about died from only a couple miles. Lesson learned. Most of your races will start early as well. I would just take it easy when it comes to running in that extreme heat. Stay hydrated during the run if you can. Maybe I am just a wimp but, I refuse to get heat stroke. Oh btw I work in the meltshop of a steel mill and can take some heat. 3000degrees is the temp we tap a heat of steel out. So you can imagine the temps I deal with when summer comes around.
2012-04-12 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran

I sympathize!

I live and train in South Florida and the H&H is brutal from about late May when the rainy season kicks in until early November.  Those of us who run down here do so early.  Really early.  Not that the H&H is absent early, but that it is not as high as it will be later and if you add the direct sun to the mix ... not good.  People are often out at 3:30 to 4 AM to get their 20 mile training runs in before the sun comes up.

Anyway, I typically go into what I call my "Summer Slowdown" somewhere around June.  I lose about 20 to 30 seconds per mile on my paces.  The reason that most give for this is the your body has to direct more and more of the oxygen and nutrients to keeping the skin as cool as possible - thus less oxygen is available for the legs to use in running.  It can be mentally tough to run those slower paces.  I have to keep telling myself "This is not my "true" pace.  It'll come back in the Fall".

But the good news is, if you persist in training when the weather is tough, when Fall comes you will not believe how well you will run.  I've had most of my Best Races in the Fall, up north, after training all summer in the H&H.

Bill

Edited by breger1 2012-04-12 8:15 AM
2012-04-12 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Warning: I'm definitely not a running guru. With that said, I grew up south of New Orleans and dealt with the heat and humidity until I moved away for grad school. I started running here in Alabama so it's still hot but not the same kinda hot as Louisiana. I thought I would be well adjusted to extreme heat since I've spent my entire life in it, but I still struggle as the temperature rises. I have a feeling that running in the heat only improves by running in the heat unless you're a lucky soul like my husband who barely sees a drop in pace as the heat rises. We actually had a discussion yesterday about the idea of losing or gaining overall running fitness by running in hot temps and came to the conclusion that struggling through summer runs at slower paces will make me a stronger runner overall both in the heat and in cooler temps but we don't have any cool scientific studies to back this up.
2012-04-12 8:20 AM

User image

What is better for guys to wear on hot, humid runs?  No shirt, compression / tri type sleeveless (for max evap), or a loose tech tee?  Hot season is coming to Virginia, soon, and only difference from Florida is the angle of the sun.

2012-04-12 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4145260

User image

New user

For hot days, I would go with a loose tech tee.  You forget the sun will also make you feel hotter.  Also, once you sweat or put water on yourself, the wind will help cool you off.  If it is really humid out, I think no shirt feels best, because you won't be sweating normal and as much air on you skin will feel better.  If its hot and humid out, a tank top works well for me.  You get some cover from the sun and some exposed skin.  Of course hot and humid are just horrible runs. You might as well call them junk miles unless you are heat training. I would avoid both hot/humid days.  I got heat exhaustion from just 1-2 miler once.  I didn't drink enough water that day.  It took me 6 hours in AC with ice on my heat to not feel hot.  A friend of mine's kid almost died from heat stroke running HS track, it was only a 1 miler.

Here is a tip that tells you if you need to stop running during these days.  While you are running, stop for 10 seconds, if your face and ears feel hot, call it a day.  You won't feel the heat when you run because of the cooling effect, but this will tell you when you should stop.

2012-04-12 10:48 AM

User image

Regular

Dropping from 7:30-8:00 pace to 10:00-10:30 pace seems to be a little too much, but I am not an expert by any means

I think what you should do all depends on which races you are planning to do. For example I am doing the IMTX this May 19th. Even though the race starts at 7:00am, it is obvious that almost everybody will be running during the hottest time of the day. 

2012-04-12 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Super hard problem I share with you.  I went to a tricamp this winter and told the coach " I live where it was over 100 degrees everyday for 5 straight months any suggestions for running in those temps?"  His response was "Well thats just not safe"  Awesome.  I lived in Fl for 8 years and now in south texas for the last year.  I try not to run outside if its over 95.  I'd be more concerned about safety than pace.  You WILL be slower.  Also you need to take into account caridac drift...your HR will increase due to the heat regardless as to what you are doing to the point that after an hour you pretty much have to throw HR out the window.  As other have said train in the morning or  take it inside, acclimate gradually and be safe.
2012-04-12 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Ahh Spring on BT when the threads about gloves, snow and trainers, turn to talk of heat stroke and lbs lost from sweat.

Run early or run late, but not running in the heat pretty much means not running in Houston.  You just have to do it, and I do suggest som runs around the time of day when you will be on the run course on the race.

I can't stand a shirt normally when it is hot but it is usually compression if it lasts at all.  I just got a desoto skin cooler shirt over the winter that is suppose to help keep you cool when it is wet.   It kind of looks like something one would wear to an S&M party... but anyone running in Houston in the summer is kind of belongs at those parties anyway.

I'm going to give it a try soon and see if that is better than no shirt.

2012-04-12 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Ahh Spring on BT when the threads about gloves, snow and trainers, turn to talk of heat stroke and lbs lost from sweat.

Run early or run late, but not running in the heat pretty much means not running in Houston.  You just have to do it, and I do suggest som runs around the time of day when you will be on the run course on the race.

I can't stand a shirt normally when it is hot but it is usually compression if it lasts at all.  I just got a desoto skin cooler shirt over the winter that is suppose to help keep you cool when it is wet.   It kind of looks like something one would wear to an S&M party... but anyone running in Houston in the summer is kind of belongs at those parties anyway.

I'm going to give it a try soon and see if that is better than no shirt.

2012-04-12 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The afternoon heat here in FL is my biggest incentive to get up and run in the relative cool of the  morning. 

I normally train by HR, but as Sue said, cardiac drift throws that out of kilter in the heat, so I just go by RPE.  More than once I've just packed it in and walked home when I got too hot.

I also worry about sun exposure, so I wear a shirt and hat 99% of the time.  If I've going more than a couple of miles I usually throw some sunscreen on my face, neck & arms. Sometimes I'll even wear a light-weight long-sleeve dry-fit shirt to keep the sun off my arms.

Mark

2012-04-12 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Fellow Louisianian here (outskirts of Baton Rouge) and I actually prefer running at night.  While the temps seem better in the morning I think the humidity is lower late night (plus running when there is a full moon is way too cool).  I try to train outside instead of a TM as most of the LA races going forward will be in the heat.  NOLA should be a mild 85 (2010 was a sufferfest for the run) but by the time you get to Cajunman (September?) it will be miserable.   I just accept the decrease in speed but console myself by adding a bada$$ factor of running in heat/humidity.  Lots of fluids help but when its very humid it seems that no wicking shirt helps as there is no place for the moisture to go.  Can't go shirtless as I believe its consider cruel and unusual punishment to others.
2012-04-12 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida

I'm going to go against my fellow Floridians and say I run in the late afternoon, after 5:30 or so in the summer. I don't like to run in the morning when it is brutally humid, the sweat just does not evaporate.

In the afternoon, there is almost always a sea breeze and while hotter, the humidity is much more bearable. I run a route that brings me back to my car after about three miles and I stock up on ice in a baggie and cold water. Put the ice in your hat and rub the bag on you and it feels much cooler. As the ice melts in the bag I pour it over my head. After three more miles, back to the car for more ice and gatorade. I am usually completely soaking wet after four miles on my summer runs.

Body Glide is your friend.

The HeatGear or DeSoto Skin cooler stuff works better in lower humidity also.

2012-04-12 3:37 PM

User image

Another Floridian here. It's crazy how much slower I go in the heat. This past summer training for a fall marathon I would do my tempo runs on the treadmill because I just couldn't hold the pace outside in the heat. Otherwise I just went slow outside. I drink a cold drink before starting and carry water. And then something cold after :-) And I agree body glide is key.
2012-04-12 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

5 seconds per mile per degree is pretty extreme.  6-10 seconds per 10 degrees (F) is more common.

To answer your question:  When your core temp starts to rise, the body pumps blood to the skin to carry the excess heat from the core (vital organs) to the skin, where it is dissipated with the help of sweat. Part of your aerobic capacity is thereby used up in the act of cooling, and so is not available to contribute to the act of running.  So, you slow down.

To some extent, you can acclimate, so the first hot days of the year are typically the worst (IME).  But to a large extent, this effect is unavoidable.

2012-04-12 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4147083

User image

Experior - 2012-04-12 4:07 PM

5 seconds per mile per degree is pretty extreme.  6-10 seconds per 10 degrees (F) is more common.

To answer your question:  When your core temp starts to rise, the body pumps blood to the skin to carry the excess heat from the core (vital organs) to the skin, where it is dissipated with the help of sweat. Part of your aerobic capacity is thereby used up in the act of cooling, and so is not available to contribute to the act of running.  So, you slow down.

To some extent, you can acclimate, so the first hot days of the year are typically the worst (IME).  But to a large extent, this effect is unavoidable.

Very interesting. This is the kind of info I was looking for. However, based on 6 seconds per 10 degrees would mean only an 18 second drop in pace from 70 degrees to 100 degrees. I can only wish and dream my body had that kind of capability.
2012-04-12 6:16 PM

Expert
I live in south Louisiana also. My pace(s) don't change that much from January to July, but I love the heat and sweat factor. Drink more, pay attention to electrolytes more, and be more cautious, but enjoy that you CAN do what you love..
2012-04-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4147248

User image

I don't think you can peg a specific amount of seconds per mile for each degree of temperature.  It's not linear.

2012-04-12 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

I started working out in the dry Dallas heat last year when it was over 110F.

I plan on running in the heat again this year,as I felt that it helped me a lot to go faster in the cooler times.

Though I did carry a camelbak onlong runs.

Overall I felt that running in the heat with extra wheight helped me a lot to improve endurance and mentally to push through.

2012-04-12 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

hromero - 2012-04-12 12:55 AM I have a few questions about running in high temps. I noticed my pace drops about 10 seconds per degree F with the same HR. Why is this? How can I minimize it? I love science and knowing why my body does what it does. Off course higher outdoor temp equals higher core temp. But why does higher core temp have to equal lower pace so dramatically? Also, at what point do you say this is torture and unproductive and take it to the treadmill. I live in south Louisiana so the treadmill in the AC is very tempting. I realize I will not get better in the heat unless I run in the heat but at what point does the pace get so slow that it is a waste of time? Which would produce better fitness gains? Option 1 - run in the heat at a 10:00 to 10:30 pace? Or option 2 - run on the treadmill at a 7:30 to 8:00 pace? My logic is telling me that I get a better workout when I run faster, but is that the case? Now.... Before all you hard core outdoor only running types start harping on me for not spending time in the heat to acclimate, let me say that I work outside in the heat all day so I am definitly accustomed to my environment. Also, if you have never been to south Louisiana in the summer then there is no way to fully understand how bloody hot it gets down here. 90 with 50% humidity is one thing and 90 with 100% humidity is a whole different thing. BTW it gets much hotter than 90

Correction, your core temp does not rise, and if it does it is by a very minimal amount. 

2012-04-12 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4147311

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
tri808 - 2012-04-12 7:37 PM

I don't think you can peg a specific amount of seconds per mile for each degree of temperature.  It's not linear.

This is correct.  I was just making the point that the OP's report seems extreme.  Jack Daniels has published some numbers based on his observations (and they pretty much comport with my own observations of, granted, just myself).  The relationship is not linear, though it isn't massively non-linear either.  They're in his book, and probably available online as well.

2012-04-12 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4147543

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
bcagle25 - 2012-04-12 10:38 PM

hromero - 2012-04-12 12:55 AM I have a few questions about running in high temps. I noticed my pace drops about 10 seconds per degree F with the same HR. Why is this? How can I minimize it? I love science and knowing why my body does what it does. Off course higher outdoor temp equals higher core temp. But why does higher core temp have to equal lower pace so dramatically? Also, at what point do you say this is torture and unproductive and take it to the treadmill. I live in south Louisiana so the treadmill in the AC is very tempting. I realize I will not get better in the heat unless I run in the heat but at what point does the pace get so slow that it is a waste of time? Which would produce better fitness gains? Option 1 - run in the heat at a 10:00 to 10:30 pace? Or option 2 - run on the treadmill at a 7:30 to 8:00 pace? My logic is telling me that I get a better workout when I run faster, but is that the case? Now.... Before all you hard core outdoor only running types start harping on me for not spending time in the heat to acclimate, let me say that I work outside in the heat all day so I am definitly accustomed to my environment. Also, if you have never been to south Louisiana in the summer then there is no way to fully understand how bloody hot it gets down here. 90 with 50% humidity is one thing and 90 with 100% humidity is a whole different thing. BTW it gets much hotter than 90

Correction, your core temp does not rise, and if it does it is by a very minimal amount. 

Core temp is variable, though you're right that it doesn't change a whole lot, at least not if you are going to stay alive.  The point is that the body has mechanisms to maintain it within acceptable limits when conditions threaten to raise it unacceptably, an important such mechanism being pumping blood to the skin.

There's a lot of debate about some aspects of these mechanisms, including an interesting current debate about the extent to which humans are capable of 'selective brain cooling'.  But the basic point is not in dispute:  when it's hot, your heart has to work harder to keep the body cool, and that's work that is 'stolen' away from running faster.

2012-04-12 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4147581

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Experior - 2012-04-12 10:07 PM
bcagle25 - 2012-04-12 10:38 PM

Core temp is variable, though you're right that it doesn't change a whole lot, at least not if you are going to stay alive.  The point is that the body has mechanisms to maintain it within acceptable limits when conditions threaten to raise it unacceptably, an important such mechanism being pumping blood to the skin.

There's a lot of debate about some aspects of these mechanisms, including an interesting current debate about the extent to which humans are capable of 'selective brain cooling'.  But the basic point is not in dispute:  when it's hot, your heart has to work harder to keep the body cool, and that's work that is 'stolen' away from running faster.

Most people think when their bodies can not get ride of the heat fast enough, their core body tempo is rising. It's more of a effect on your cardiac output then it is with your core temp rising. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in the heat questions Rss Feed