Ironman USA
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 34m 6s
Overall Rank = 1356/1937
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 64/96
Pre-race routine:

So there I was. Me with my 58 pound bike box, checked into a French Quarter room at Disney, 2000 miles from home. I was rooming with Denise, the cop and my semi-training partner from Arizona, and later her professional friend Tamara from the Ukraine. I was not looking forward to the race.

Upon unpacking my bike box, I had found that I was missing the skewers to my bike (the guys at Tribe apparently just forgot to pack them!). That necessitated a trip to Orange Cyclery Bike Shop in Orlando. I am glad that we went - my bike ran more smooth after they touched it up than before.

I was in FL two and a half days prior to the event, feeling dread yet whimsy about the event. Much of the pre-race time I spent dodging Denise's self-absorbed ramblings, and I mostly holed up with a book to ride out the pre-race anticipation.
Event warmup:

Race morning.

There seemed to be no buses shuttling athletes from the parking lot to the starting line, a mile away. After flagging a ride to the starting line, I located my Trek 1000 that I had parked in the grassy transition area next to a big oak tree. A plethora of bikes had grown up on the rack around mine during the night, and I had about 1 foot of space for my bike and transition stuff. Nevermind! I set up a long, slim station for myself.

Next came the usual: I ran through the toilet line a few times, got bodymarked, and headed down to the beach for the start.
Swim
  • 47m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The athletes congregated onto the artificial white sandy beach of Bay Lake. With all the muscly human flesh there, we were a ripe target for a swarm of pesky winged insects, that nitpicked at everyone. I was in the light-blue cap group - the waves were by age group, and I started one wave and 2 minutes after Denise. The water temp was very pleasant, and I immediately set into an easy swim pace. I was guessing I was about at Level 2 to 3.

Before rounding the first bouy, I was overcome and attacked by a wild herd of M30-34, catching me from the wave behind. I didn't let them ruin my mojo, but glided on. After that, there was a fairly regular stream of people passing me, until the last leg of the swim. It seemed this portion was jammed with at least 4 desperate age group waves, and I lost my stroke a few times, trying to protect myself from being beat up by these ravage swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

In retrospect, I realize I could have swam a little faster. I thought I had a reasonable pace, but considering how I ranked, I think I could have gone a bit closer to race pace and not been too tired.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

The swim to bike transition run was fortunately carpeted over, since this led over a wooden mulch path. I jogged up at a fair pace, prepared for the bike quickly enough, and ran my bike out.

I think I did ok here.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the bike. At the start I probably went out a bit too fast, and I had a hard time getting my heart rate down to the correct zone. I was out to pass people. Of course, since most of the men started in the waves behind me, I was passed by a bunch of space cadets with zip wheels, buzzing by me like a string of bees. I pay no attention to these guys, I can't even compete there yet.

The course was mainly single-lane tree-lined roads, that led out of Disney World into the country-side. Around mile 10 we passed through a cloud of fog - a seldom occurence in Phoenix! - that mugged up my sunglasses, but was fun nonetheless. Shortly after that, I stopped paying attention to the countryside, and focused only on keeping pace and staying fed. My nutrition consisted of Nature Valley granola bars, stacked vertically in my bento box, as well as Clif Shot jello globs (not the true name), I had picked up impulsively at Orange Cyclery. This worked out pretty well.

Around mile 20 we hit the few hills, and after that my back and crotch really wanted to quit the ride. So the rest of the bike I just focused on staying in aero as much as I could bear, and not letting my avg speed drop.

I need to practice riding in the large chain ring more - I stayed mostly in the middle one. Also, I need to practice staying in aero for longer. My back is quite sore from that still. I did however whip out a higher speed than I usually turn out on my average long ride, so I am pleased. (And I didn't feel too tired after.)
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I took a quick porto-stop at a nearby john, and ran out of transition with my bike gloves still on.

Leave the gloves behind. I ended up tossing them in the trash.
Run
  • 2h 29m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the race took a sour turn. I was on target to beat my SOMA time, and the first lap of the run went fine. But the jeep trail was unshaded, and I think the course took me a bit by surprise. It sort of depressed me really. I was maintaining < a 10 min/mi pace until mile 7, and then I tried to stay as close to that until mile 9, teh beginning of the 3rd loop. But at 10, it all feel apart, and I ended up walking all of mile 11 pretty much. After that I forced myself to shuffle it in.

1) Know thy course. I think a bit of mental preparation for that jeep trail would have helped. Don't need these unpleasant surprises.
2) I ate a gel at mile 4, but then just relied on gatorade. I think I should have had another gel at mile 8.
3) Should have took note of my overall time... I think I might have pushed a bit more if I would have stayed more in tune with the big picture.
4) There were aid stations every 1/2 mi, and then was too plentiful. If I would have had a plan before hand on which stations to visit, it might have hleped.
5) I think I should have done a few more long runs to prepare...
Post race
Warm down:

I was very disappointed by the time I crossed the finish line. My time was 4 minutes slower than SOMA, although my swim and bike splits had been faster. Usually the run is my strong event, but it was very hot out. But hey, I'm from Phx, I should have been able to hang! So after crossing the finish line, I went and sat under a tree and felt depressed. I thought, this is the last triathlon I'm doing! I'm going to write BT'ers and tell them it's over! No good! No fun!

Later I found out Denise had only finished her run in 2:20. She's normally faster than me, and I thought this was reasonably in the same range as my performance. This made me feel better. I also realized later how I had enjoyed the bike and run. I think it's nicer when you can make all the mistakes in teh beginning of the race, and emerge victorious in the end - a happy ending; rather than the way I did. But I still need to recognize the good beginning, even if it did have a crappy last 2 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course. Not being mentally prepared for the heat.

Event comments:

Not the best race, but a good experience. I certainly learned from it. I didn't have the adrenaline rush going that I had when I did my first HIM, so this race relied a bit more on will-power/decision making. I did push hard enough to feel beat up by it, but I could have done some things better.

Last updated: 2006-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:16 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 86/96
Overall: 1603/1937
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Conveniently, the course included no east-bound swimming, which was pleasant. I always find it difficult to spot bouys when swimming into the sunrise. Instead we swam north to the far side of the lake, then west, then south back to the beach - but farther down from where we entered.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:09:24 | 56 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 63/96
Overall: 1549/1937
Performance:
158 average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a very nice one loop course over quality pavement. It was fairly flat, with only a few "hills", none of which were ass-kickers.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:29:41 | 13.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/96
Overall: 1212/1937
Performance: Bad
151 average
Course: 3 loop course (4.33 mi/loop). The course led down a road to the most awful grassy jeep trail. It felt like the course was leading us off into no-man's land, and it reminded me of despised cross-country routes. The run went out and back over the jeep trail, and then hit a nice shady cement running trail, back to the start.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Florida Half Ironman

2006-05-22 10:38 PM
in reply to: #430970

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Florida Half Ironman

Well, despite some annoyances, congratulations on completing a half ironman which is no small feat.

2006-05-23 12:08 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
A half iron is nothing to sneeze at - great job powering through it even when it didn't go your way.
2006-05-23 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Don't be so hard on yourself.  There were improvements, in there, you even said so yourself.  I have lived in Florida, their heat is not like our heat.

Those cliff jello things, Cliff Blocks...they rock!

Great race!  Rest up.

2006-05-23 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Back of the pack breathing hard
Hey,

It was nice meeting you. Thanks for coming up to me at "Ironman Village". I saw Denise after the race at the bike exit. She said you weren't happy with your times. 6:30'sh is nothing to sneeze at. You just did a half ironman!!

Working on my race report now for BT. But here's my race report at my own website.
Your in it.

http://www.aircrewphotos.com/FLHIM.html
2006-05-25 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job! FL heat w/ the humidity is nothing like the dry western heat.

2006-05-27 1:36 PM

User image

Congrats Robin, thanks for the detailed race report,,,,,, I think it will help me next week.

Jim

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Half Ironman Rss Feed