Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 4s
Overall Rank = 6/206
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00 am and ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Washed it down with about 16 ounces of water. Looked outside and it was raining pretty good so I grabbed a rain jacket, a couple of plastic bags, and some extra towels. You can never have too many towels!!!
Event warmup:

Rode the bike for about 10 minutes to get the legs loosened and get my bike in the right gear. Took a short 5-10 minute run with a couple of 30" bursts. Did not even think about getting in the pool b/c it was cold as ice!!!
Swim
  • 08m 32s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Uhh, I am not the best swimmer but I am a MOPer for sure. I go off 49, so one would think that the people in front of me are "descent" swimmers, right!! The guy behind me caught me with 75 to go but my guess is he was using a lot of energy to do so b/c I easily beat him out of transition and never saw him again. However, there were people in front of me in the swim doing crazy stuff!! One guy breast stroke the whole thing which is fine but put in the correct time!! One person was walking.....again I have no problem with this but should you not be near the back?? There was a 10 year old kid that went off second in the swim and had also put in a bad swim time but he filled out the application himself so I give him a break. The others though, come on!!! Swim time includes T1.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more and become a more efficient swimmer!! Catch Wakeman!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good T1 except I still have not learned to have my shoes already on my bike. I want to at least try this!! Also, I need toughen up my feet. I look silly running on pavement barefoot!! Swim time includes T1.

Toughen up my feet!!
Bike
  • 39m 44s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to do some damage on the bike. Caught quite a few people and never felt too awful. I could have pushed my cadence a little higher.

Practice a little more on the hills!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did not lose much time here. I think I forgot to unbuckle my helmet before getting to my rack but other than that it was fine. Bike time includes T2.
Run
  • 26m 46s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I really liked this run. It had a lot of shade and the trails were not that technical. The toughest part was the hill coming up to the finish. I caught about four people on the run and went forever without seeing anyone to chase then as I was approaching the last hill I saw two people near the top. I knew I could not catch up to them at this point!!!

Train more b/c according to my heart rate I was giving pretty good effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to Wakeman and congratulated him!! Ate and got a massage. Good race Wakeman!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training. I think I raced this race about as fast as I could at this point in the year.

Event comments:

Definitely a good beginners race. I am not saying to buy a plane ticket by no means but if you live in the area and are looking for a race with a lot of beginners then here it is!! I will say that the awards were really pathetic. They gave out ribbons and they attached a piece of paper behind the ribbon stating your placement. It was bad!! If they paid more than $0.50 cents for any one award, then in my opinion they got ripped off!!

Last updated: 2006-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:32 | 437 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 46/206
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim up and back.....watch out not to hit anyone!!!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:44 | 12.8 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 3/206
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Bike course was a little of a surprise. It was more up and down than I thought it was going to be. I did not feel like I was doing as good as I was on the course but I guess I was!! I was glad to catch some people throughout. Some of the roads were rough but not bad!! Bike time includes T2.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:46 | 03.6 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 22/206
Course: I would say 80% of the run was on horse trails with the remainder being on pavement. Some of the horse trails had loose gravel and kinda of muddy from the early rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-23 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: Excellence Triathlon

2006-05-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: #431044

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Excellence Triathlon
Great Race Report!
Looks like you had a pretty good race out there!
Keep up all of the hard work and I'm sure it'll only get better! Great Job!!!!
2006-05-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: #431177

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Excellence Triathlon
Well done !

If this was the fastest you could have gone, then it was a perfect race and what more could you ask for ?

Perfection.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Excellence Triathlon Rss Feed