General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT v Fink ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-16 7:55 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: BT v Fink ??
Hi, So i am going to try and do an IM (B2B) this year having done 1x sprint 1x OLY and 1x HIM last year, I believe it is possible but I am unsure which plan to use.. My leanings at this point are towards the BT Beginner IM plan 20 wk but i have since noticed there seems to be a ton of folk using the Fink program.

I dont know much about the Fink plan though i do see that all these people are memntioning that they have races built into their plans.

At this point I am not planning on doing any races other than the IM which i slate October..

Any advice related to choosing a plan or my proposed lack of races would be very much appreciated.

Donnie (very much still a newbie)

2012-04-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4152884

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: RE: BT v Fink ??

For what it's worth here is my opinion. I am newbie as well, 3 sprints, 6 olympics, and 2 HI. I decided to pursue IM Louisville this year, HI looming May 5th in your neck of the woods. I used BT for HI and loved it, but I used the free version so there wasn't much coaching or additional information. Fink, I love! Everything is laid out for easy understanding, 3 plans to choose from...I'm doing competitive plan. Of course I'm comparing it to a free plan, but I will tell you this. Find someone  that has used the Fink plan and they will be worth a ton of knowledge as you venture to IM. Finally, you can use any program you want, in the end the effort and guts you put into it will determine your success. GL!

2012-04-16 10:00 AM

Not an answer as to comparing the plans, because I don't know what the BT plan entails.  But as a self-described "newbie"...I will tell you that it is not a bad idea to get race experience at shorter distances before your first IM.  No better time to work on transitions...what things you will remember to bring vs. forget on race day....getting over the nerves....biking with others, swimming with others....etc.
2012-04-16 10:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

For the majority, what matters most is finding a plan that can be worked into their life best so they will do as many of the workouts as described.

If you want to race, then you can put in races. If you want to just do the IM, you can do workouts instead of the races. IMO, races do help with the familiarity of being in an event, even though the strategy is different with the effort. They are also much more enjoyable ways to do harder efforts.

2012-04-16 11:22 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Both the BT plans as well as the Iron Fit plans are very solid and will prepare you well for an iron race.

For the BT plans, make sure you have been doing what they list as prerequisites.

I do recommend the Fink book "Be Iron Fit" as an excellent read for triathlon in general, regardless of distance. There is so much good info in it, down to a bike checklist for race day (and tons of other stuff). Some of the best time-management strategies to fit training in ever.

I've done plans from BT as well as Fink plans, and for the Fink plans, I did simulated races since an actual race wasn't available anywhere nearby or near the recommended dates (in a 30 week plan, there's an Oly race at 18 weeks and a HIM at 22.) I know others who have skipped the races entirely and done just fine.

The only real downside of the Fink plans is that the recommended swim workouts are terrible. Not too bad, since you just take the planned swim hour and make up your own or use good swim workouts you find online.

2012-04-16 2:01 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
good answers and thank you for taking the time everyone..

I think I'm going to stick with BT probably,

For the swim workouts im going to probably do more with a masters group

and it is always nice to be reminded.. plans this plans that.. but as the first replier said.. its about what i put into them and the effort that will ultimately decide it..

again, thanks for coming through BT'ers

2012-04-17 10:53 AM

User image

I did my first IM (B2B as well) last year on the BT plan and was more than prepared. I knocked down the swim hours a bit and increased the bike hours a bit. The swim is heavy in the BT plan and it's not to be underestimated by any means, but you could float on your back at B2B and make the swim cutoff.

That being said, I've never tried anything else so it's hard to compare.

2012-04-20 10:47 PM

Veteran

I did the BT plan and was very happy.  I went from couch to the minimum requirements to following the bt plan and did rev3 CP in 30 weeks.  They're both great plans though.    overall I was most impressed by my bike improvement.  I started out @ 18.5 on my first sprint of the year and came just shy of 20 mph in the ironman.  Came in under my goal of under 1:30 on the swim.  I did feel under prepared for the run  This may have been because I had to take 2 weeks off running because of a broken toe in week 9 and 10. I would add a 4th run if I used the plan again though.

You can't  wrong with either one

good luck

2012-04-20 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine

One more to consider would be "Your Best Triathon" by Joe Friel. I'm following his Full Iron plan (contains plans for Sprint, Oly and 1/2 IM as well) as I am doing my first full Iron in July, the Full Vineman. I'm very happy with my results thus far....I will say, however, that the plan does require quite a bit of time.

I'm following his full 24 week program. My swim, bike and run have all improved quite a bit in the past 10 weeks....I did an Oly this past weekend and got my first podium, 3rd for my age group. I had the fastest bike and run in my AG and improved from bottom 1/3 in the swim to cracking the top 1/2.

Swing by a bookstore and take look...

Bottom line is I think they will all get you to the finish line. My objective is to compete for an age group podium spot, so for me, this book/plan seemed like the right one for me.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

2012-05-05 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4153515

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
TriAya - 2012-04-16 11:22 AM

The only real downside of the Fink plans is that the recommended swim workouts are terrible. Not too bad, since you just take the planned swim hour and make up your own or use good swim workouts you find online.

I've been looking at Fink's plan and the swim workouts do look a little odd but I'm a newbie swimmer so I don't know what a good workout looks like.  What is wrong with his swim workouts.  If I choose the plan should I just scrap his swim workouts or will they work even if their not ideal?

2012-05-05 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4192037

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
EKH - 2012-05-05 6:41 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-16 11:22 AM

I've been looking at Fink's plan and the swim workouts do look a little odd but I'm a newbie swimmer so I don't know what a good workout looks like.  What is wrong with his swim workouts.  If I choose the plan should I just scrap his swim workouts or will they work even if their not ideal?

This is not an argument for or against the swim workouts. I followed the plan to a tee and swam 1:08 at IMAZ. There are probabloy better plans available, but there is something to be said for simply logging hours in the pool.

2012-05-05 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

For what it is worth I used Fink competitive for IM AZ last year..my bf used BT plan for his IMLP..we are both slow swimmers ..pretty similar bike/run ...my swim s*&^ (but so did his..).....& my time overall finish time was 3 hrs faster..  

His thoughts after were that he needed more longer brick workouts & to follow the timing of the workouts  to allow for recovery etc

My thoughts were I really need a swim coach!

I agree with others that there are many quality plans- being consistent & following the plan & tuning in to whether or not you are feeling like you are working on endurance but not neglecting intervals/speed workouts & staying healthy is the goal..Good luck!

2012-05-06 9:21 PM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio
I can vouch for jletterhos.  He just knocked out a 1/2 ironman this weekend in 5:19 in prep for his full ironman later this summer.  I'd say the program is working for him.
2012-05-08 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
I used the the BT beginner IM plan last year and I only had 1 olympic tri under my belt which was 1 month before the IM (ChesapeakeMan) i did.  I was pretty consistant I missed some long rides and long bricks which did hurt me, but I liked the plan, this year I am currently using the Fink Competitive plan for IMAZ.  So far so good its def different but I guess we will see when its time to compare results.....I will have a sprint, olympic and a HIM under my belt this time when the IM rolls around, so that should help too....ha 
2012-05-08 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

As someone else suggested- the book Ironfit is worth having whatever plan you decide to follow-(unless you are a more "technical" person ..with power meters , stroke counts, etc  and very tightly prescribed goals for each & every workout) lays things out in a very direct & readable way they is very sound ...and helps you focus on what YOU need to do to succeed on your terms...as a mere mortal who fits in Ironman training around the rest of real life!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT v Fink ?? Rss Feed