Race Day Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 23s
Overall Rank = 17/297
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Well, I won't tell you the right way to prepare for a sprint, but I can certainly tell you a 12 hour bender Friday night is decidedly NOT the right way. Beyond that it was business as usual, up early for oats/coffee/eggs, and then to the venue to get my stuff set up and get warmed up.
Event warmup:

A very short bike ride, a mile or so run with some pickups, and then a fairly long swim (since it was outdoors and fairly cool I stayed in the water to keep warm)
Swim
  • 07m 8s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seemed to be a bit slower than I was expecting. Could have been the "under the ropes" setup (no flips for me) or it could have just been that I wasn't pushing hard enough. I was passing quite a few people though, so it seemed I was on task.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder I suppose.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Haven't practiced transitions in a while (other than a few minutes on Saturday) so I still had a little rust on the gears. Nonetheless it went fairly well. Pretty long run from the pool to the bike so that accounts for some of it.

Get a little practice in.
Bike
  • 18m 17s
  • 6 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a pretty big disappointment for me. I'm usually #1 or 2 on the bike around here, so 7th off is a fair drop. I never really felt all that good on the bike sadly... although this course has too much going on to really reward somebody who is all about staying in aero and grinding a big gear. Too much climbing and 90' turns.

Just have to get back into my groove. It wasn't a horrible performance, but not up to my standards for sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I blew this one majorly. Coming up to transition is uphill, then flat for a hundred feet or so, so you kinda need to be johnny on the spot to get out of your shoes after that last climb. I was on it on my left foot, but then somebody (on their first lap of the bike) attempted to pass on my right right as we were turning into transition. I saw it just in time and kept from turning into them, but it stopped me from getting my right foot out of the shoe! I jumped off at the dismount line and hobbled back to my spot... not optimal at all.

eh, stuff happens. Again, some practice would have smoothed things over though.
Run
  • 21m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite not running much the last few months (due to my hamstring injury) I actually ran almost a minute faster than my time last year... which is at least encouraging. Nonetheless, when the guy that ended up second in my AG passed me about half way through, I knew there was no way I could respond. On the plus side, my leg felt fairly good throughout, so hopefully we are heading the right direction.

Run.More.
Post race
Warm down:

Died at the Finish line? Walked it off and got something to drink. Then hung out and waited to see if I had snuck into top3. Same placing as last year...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being Injured (and thereby not running/biking) from September to February was a pretty big shot to my performance, especially looking at where I *should* be this year.

Event comments:

I've always liked the Trideltathon event area and of course the girls from Delta Delta Delta are a nice distraction. Good race!

Last updated: 2012-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:08 | 437 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 47/297
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake Swim, 8 laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:18:17 | 06 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Overall: 7/297
Wind: Some
Course: Out behind UT campus. Pretty hilly and fairly technical.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:11 | 03 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 38/297
Course: Out through campus. Fairly hilly throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-16 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: TriDeltaThon

2012-04-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4153356

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: TriDeltaThon

Great work and great warm up, use it to springboard off of for later in the year, after the winter you had, i would say you are ahead of the game.

Congrats on the hardware

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriDeltaThon Rss Feed