United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 27s
Overall Rank = /83
Age Group = 60-69
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Up around 5:30 am. Played with grandson, Keegan for awhile. Ate 1/2 bowl golean cereal, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup milk, 2 cups of coffee. Daughter Susan and I arrived and set up around 7:00 am. Had my new pack with everything compartmentalized. Every triathlon thing I owned was in it but where it was in there took some time to rediscover

There were no splits and did not use my own stopwatch.
Event warmup:

Walked around a little. Got in the pool and swam a few laps. did not warmup at previous race and had difficult start. Hoped to overcome that this time. Used a gel about 1/2 hour before race. Continued to feel as
if blood sugar was low so had another gel.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt ok at the start but immediately had difficulty breathing. Couldn't catch my breath no matter what. Never got a rythm. Ended up on my back after 200m and stopped at wall every lap. Another swimmer in my lane was also having problems. Could I blame him for my inability? No, I was just off. Definately poorer showing than last time. Discouraged.
What would you do differently?:

Don't really know. Could have warmed up more. In practice usually warmup for 500yds or so. Need to begin practice with quick start and then try to slow and gain rythm.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Gasping for air coming out of pool. Equipment layout was good. Had a drimk but forgot gel. Bike position on the rack allowed quick move out of transition area.

Practiced night before. made a few changes to equipment location which worked well in he race
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

ride was enjoyable. Said hello to everyone and most had an encouraging word as I went by. I was last out of the pool, so was able to pass quite a few on the bike. Caught Susan with a mile or two to go. She was having a good time. I didn't feel tired or out of breath, just low level of chest pain.

Practice hills more but I felt the bike was the highlight of the race and picked up my spirits considerably.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

A little confused here. Equipment layout worked fine. Some difficulty in getting running shoes on. Also unnecessarily took off sunglasses and had to search before putting back on. I was tired! Photos show this.

More practice but think most of confusion was caused by fatique and not layout.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Have done this portion of the course before and usually able to run most of it. Not today. Felt I was moving at a good pace roughly 12 minute miles.

Nothing. Did fine. Still feeling effects of poor swim both physically and mentally
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around and chatted with others. Mostly laughed at Keegan's antics. He is a one year old charmer. Walks up to all the girls who were sitting around the finish and gives them his best smile. I am fortunae to have him. Susan and I put on "Team Eweberry" shirts given to us by Linda. Had a photo taken.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim was the issue!

Event comments:

Have looked forward to this race for more than a year. This is the pool I use daily. Was disappointed with swim performance. Have been feeling effects of allergies the past week or so. Who knows. I'm grateful to be out there, grateful to Susan and family for joining in and grateful for all those who worked on the race.

Confusion on race time. There is no record! Waited several days and spoke to many people for it to be straightened out but it is hopeless.
Total time is somewhere between 1:44 and 1:58. Oh well. I did finish and wasn't last.

Last updated: 2006-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/83
Performance: Bad
Suit: trishorts
Course: 25 meter pool. back and forth in same lane Three people
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Didn't have monitor but did have chest pain. A constant pressure through most of the ride.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back mostly along country roads with little traffic. First half was flat or downhill. Last half had several hills which were more difficult than they appeared in the car. Saw a few people walking their bike.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Continue to feel tightness in chest throughout
Course: Easy flat course. Kind of a figure 8 with lots of turns and opportunities to go in the wrong direction. Volunteers at key points. Only 1 water station. HS girls there were cheery and uplifting. Start and end were along wook chip track. Filled shoes with debris.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes