General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Bursitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-16 2:43 PM

Subject: Hip Bursitis

Has anyone successfully run with hip bursitis.  Any recommendations? Doctor said I needed to quit running. Likely that won't happen because it hurts whether or not I run.  Took 3 weeks off from any exercise and it still was very painful.  I just assume keep running if it is going to hurt no matter what.

Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated.

2012-04-16 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4154042

Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Hip Bursitis

What exactly is Bursitis ?

midessa7

2012-04-16 5:31 PM

2012-04-18 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV

I have had hip bursitis for about 7 years now.  I have never had to give up sports because of it.  When it gets so bad that moving is painful, I take prescription NSAIDS.  I have mostly taken diclofenac (Voltaren) over the years.  It flared up horribly when I was training for the Pittsburgh marathon so I took 2 weeks off training completely, coinciding with when I started the NSAIDs.  When I returned to training, I managed just fine.  I always have some degree of bursitis. Probably due to tight ITBs.  You may get some bursitis relief by using a foam roller.  I haven't really tried it but others have.  I cannot roll over the hip bursae when they are inflammed but I can roll the region immediately below. No doctor has ever told me to stop training because of the bursitis.  Have you had cortisone injections in the bursae?  These help immensely and because the injection isn't in the joint, you can have them more frequently.  My only advice with these is that you take off as much time as recommended.  I aggravated mine by running too soon after the injections.

Hope you feel better soon.

2012-04-19 11:22 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Sure it's bursitis?  I am having piriformis problems that were initially considered to be possible bursitis....
2012-04-20 7:18 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
My partner is prone to it.  She was told to stop running as well.  She finally went and got ART and now she runs pain free.  I am a bit surprised ART worked for it but she actually only needed one treatment.  The practitioner was thinking it might take up to 6.  Worth investigating I guess.

2012-04-20 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

My hip pain has been narrowed down to a diagnosis of hip bursitis.

My ortho is trying a tapering dose of steroids.  I have been going to see an ART guy and he does think I have a LOT of stasis in my hip and he really wants me to stretch as much as possible.  I'm hoping that the combo approach plus losing some weight will help me out.  I've never had pain in my hip like this before and it's making me miserable!

2012-04-20 4:50 PM

User image

Pro

yes- I've successfully beat it.  I did a bunch of things, so I'm not sure exactly what worked.

Ibuprophen didn't do anything for me.  tried the heavy doses for a week or two as suggested by my doc. 

1.  chiropractic/PT- helped get my hips aligned.  Learned how to yank on my own legs (with weights) to keep my hips from getting off kilter.

2.  Stopped stretching my hips.  It felt great to do hip stretches, but it also just loosened up the joint and caused more pounding when I ran.

3.  strengthen and tighten.  instead of stretching the hips, I do side leg raises.  Keep the hips tight and strong.  More stability and strength is like armor against joint injuries.

4.  Went to docs.  they told me I had Femoral Acetabural Impingement, and then the MRI said I had a tear in my acetabural labrum.  2 docs told me I shouldn't run again without surgery.  I bought a bike.  Started riding... then slowly brought the running back after a couple month's rest.

5.  changed my stride.  got my legs under me instead of out in front.  I didn't do the Chi thing or go minimalist, I just created a playlist of 180bpm songs and ran to it.  If you run at 180bpm, it's pretty hard to overstride.  I believe that this- more than anything, reduced the impact load and angle on the hip that was causing the problem.

6.  my body probably just got used to the pounding after a year or two.  98.7% of all running injuries heal themselves if you just stop running or cut way back and start over slowly.  My theory is that most doctor visits for running injuries are a waste.  Chiro/PT/trainer is probably the better direction to spend your time and money.

for now- I'd suggest just swimming and cycling for a while.  use the hip in a non-pounding way as much as you can.  keep the blood flowing in there and build hip strength.  ACTIVE recovery.

2012-04-22 10:00 AM

Subject: RE: Hip Bursitis My story

Started training for my first tri back in November, now I am ready to give it up do to hip pain!!!  He is my story, always been into fitness, mostly weight lifting, crossfit, martial arts, running a couple times a week.  2 years ago right hip started hurting while in Afghanistan, came home, went to the Ortho, he said I have hip bursitis and that I needed to strengthen my hips, lots of leg raised, and I did, pain went away. 

Fast forward to January 2012, pain in both hips but mostly still in the right hip, only thing new to my normal exercise obsessed world was swimming.  I was already to going to PT for some neck issues from martial arts, PT said to strengthen glutes and core.  I have hammered both 3-4 times a week, exercises for glute me, Psoas, TFL, tons of planks, one legged squats, step ups, monster side steps with bands, cable 4 way hip exercises and stretching.  Core is the strongest it has ever been........... still have pain.

The real hard part is that I have been saving for a nice road bike since November and I am almost there with enough money, but I am so frustrated, I am ready to give this up and blow my savings on something else.  If I do, I will probably never have the opportunity to by a nice bike again.

2012-04-25 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4165284

Subject: RE: Hip Bursitis My story
ndame88 - 2012-04-22 10:00 AM

Started training for my first tri back in November, now I am ready to give it up do to hip pain!!!  He is my story, always been into fitness, mostly weight lifting, crossfit, martial arts, running a couple times a week.  2 years ago right hip started hurting while in Afghanistan, came home, went to the Ortho, he said I have hip bursitis and that I needed to strengthen my hips, lots of leg raised, and I did, pain went away. 

Fast forward to January 2012, pain in both hips but mostly still in the right hip, only thing new to my normal exercise obsessed world was swimming.  I was already to going to PT for some neck issues from martial arts, PT said to strengthen glutes and core.  I have hammered both 3-4 times a week, exercises for glute me, Psoas, TFL, tons of planks, one legged squats, step ups, monster side steps with bands, cable 4 way hip exercises and stretching.  Core is the strongest it has ever been........... still have pain.

The real hard part is that I have been saving for a nice road bike since November and I am almost there with enough money, but I am so frustrated, I am ready to give this up and blow my savings on something else.  If I do, I will probably never have the opportunity to by a nice bike again.

Is the pain on the outside of the hip, top of the femur (greater trocanter)? I had issues there with my ITB snapping and subsequesnt bursitis. I also had Fem. Acentabular Impingement/labral tear - which you could also have (depending on the pain). I had issues for year before it was properly diagnosed. Had surgery to fix the FAI/Labral tear and had my ITB released at the hip. Recovery is going ok but still have really tight psoas and ITB.

May want to look into the FAI/Labral tear idea?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Bursitis Rss Feed