General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Crash/Road Rash: How long till your back at it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-16 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: Bike Crash/Road Rash: How long till your back at it?
I was out riding this past weekend in the rain, when the rest of my usual compatriots had enough sense to stay home and ride the trainer.

And as is obvious form my subject line, I had a wreck. I was hammering to catch up with my one friend foolish enough to ride in the wet weather, and went down in an "S-Curve" that I didn't slow down for. I have a good 14" long road rash on my left hip and thigh, and smaller patches all along the left leg, butt, back, both elbows, palms, etc., with some good bruising underneath. I know its not too bad, cause I'm more concerned about how badly I trashed my gear. Thankfully I was on my roadie, and not my tri bike, as I certainly would have had a heart attack on the spot if I'd scratched my good bike!!!! Also I'm amazed at how poorly spandex holds up to a little contact with the road! Jersey, shorts, and arm warmers are shredded. (I'm thinking about inventing a bikers airbag).

Anyway, I'm doing the bacitracin and non-stick bandage treatment regime, and I'm wondering how long this should lay me up for? Needless to say, contact with clothing, etc. is painful, and tight clothing is the worst so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to bandage the wounds to get you back out there quicker? I know that pro cyclists ride with this stuff all the time, so what do they cover their wounds with to allow for a less painful ride?

Thanks, and ride safe.

2012-04-16 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4154259

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Bike Crash/Road Rash: How long till your back at it?

Been there, done that unfortunately. I had so much road rash that I was able to experiment with using different ointments/methods on different areas. Bacitracin works well. 

Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. You are going to go through various phases of healing, tightening, peeling, scabs etc. It's really gross. Tube style bandages (like the old school ones you put on ankle sprains) were my best friend. They allow the rash to breathe, you can apply your ointments and then slide the tube bandage over your road rash to cover it up so you don't gross out the general public.

My doctor gave me this silver sulphate (sp?) cream to put on the worst areas. I had a really deep wound from where my handle bar went into my hip area and somehow pierced the skin. It also worked well on the deep areas of road rash. 

Your main concern should be keeping the wounds clean and not getting any type of infection. I had so much road rash that I took an antibiotic to be on the safe side. Hope you heal quickly!

2012-04-16 10:36 PM

User image

Tagaderm!!  Order it off of amazon put an ace bandage around it and go riding tomorrow.
2012-04-19 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your responses.

I have the sleeve bandage wraps that I've scene on the pros at the tour, and I will lube up and bandage up today, and go for my first ride post rash. I am now 4 days post wreck, and the brusing is much better, and most of the road rash has scabbed over, but is still pussing nicely.

Gotta get that time in the saddle!!!

Ride safe.
2012-04-26 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
I raced a 5K two days later, and ran almost every day the next week (could've biked, also, but schedule didn't allow).  Swim was about 15-18 days, and I waited until every healed over and scars developed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Crash/Road Rash: How long till your back at it? Rss Feed