Red Rock Co.
70'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 48s
Overall Rank = 45/334
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/22
Pre-race routine:

I had a hard time getting excited for this race...I've been training for a HIM and this race was part of my plan. As cliche as I think labeling your races is, (i.e "training race", "A race", etc.) I really viewed this event as just another training day. And a short training day at that...This affected everything for me. The day before, when I am usually completely type A with my entire schedule/diet, I really didn't put much thought into it. Besides my traditional "steak and sweet potato" dinner, I pretty much just snacked on whatever I felt like...including a large roast beef sandwich complete with melted cheese, fried onions and sauteed mushrooms and and some leftover Easter candy.

My day started as it normally does on race day. (Except for the fact that my wave didn't start until 9:00am and I was actually able to sleep in a bit.) Plain bagel, banana and sipping on a diluted electrolyte drink. The one thing that I did differently, that I'll never do again, is I had two large cups of coffee as soon as I woke up...first time I ever considered peeing on the bike or taking a break on the run course.
Event warmup:

Warm-up was minimum to non-existent. I may have touched my toes a couple of times to stretch out the hammies, or swung my arms because it seemed like the thing to do, but I was not concerned about being warmed-up. I took in a GU about 15 mins. before the start and swam out to the starting point. Still no pre-race jitters. Really no sense of urgency at all...In fact, even the swim out there didn't feel strong. Where I usually have the perfect balance of nerves and adrenaline to feed my body, this day felt more like the anticipation of tough swim interval.
Swim
  • 15m 6s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The adrenaline that I normally have was missed as soon as the wave started...I started out towards the front of the pack, for the first time ever, and I think that hurt me in the long run...Those boys were not out there to play!! I was actually drafting quiet nicely until some faster swimmers caught up and completely threw off my rhythm...First, I was swam over; not a big deal...I was used to it and remained calm. Then, I was stuck between two swimmers like a sardine being packed in a can. Okay, not the greatest feeling, but part of the deal when you're in the middle of the pack. Next up was a full on, "grab my head and push me under" and use me to catapult yourself forward...It was at this point that I decided that I would draft off of this group instead of try to stay in front of them. My rhythm was off, my breathing got weird and I just figured I was better off benefiting from them instead of wrestling with them. Well, I must have picked the wrong dude to draft off of because after about 50 meters of following my new friends I got what I'd only read about in the past...A furious heel right into my face. It wasn't necessarily painful, but I started seeing stars and I started to feel dizzy. For a VERY brief split second I considered either rolling over on my back or calling for a kayak. As far I could tell, I was clocked too hard and was on my way out...Instead, I just stopped swimming, said "what the f*ck?", and let this pack separate itself from me a little bit while the stars and dizziness went away. After I started up again, I found my rhythm again and the swim went well...thank God it was my eye and not my nose. It certainly would have been a different story if that dude would have broken my nose...Not saying that I can't swim with blooding gushing from my nose, but I don't want to find out. My goal was under 15 minutes and I did it in 15:06...not bad considering.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely should have warmed-up for the 6 minutes they let us in the water and I'm not sure that starting up front is something I'm quiet ready for yet. I think I would have been better off staying behind the big pack and used them for sighting and drafting rather than show them that I can hang at the front...because obviously I can't. I believe my time would have been better had I played a little more conservatively...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

For the first time ever I experienced the best aid station of any race...WETSUIT STRIPPERS!! I'd only heard of this before, maybe have seen a few clips on the Ironman videos, but man I am hooked...I stripped my arms right out of the water and as soon as I got to the station I was told to lay down on my back and two dudes yanked my suit off immediately, helped me up, and sent me on my way...I was like, "did that really just happen?". Even better since just a few days earlier I caused a monster cramp in my calf trying to get out of my suit. I also saw Kim and a surprise guest, Mark, cheering me on in transition...It was an unexpected boost and I was happy to see them.

Nothing really...I'm going to start working on keeping my shoes clipped in and getting into them on the bike, but this is not a huge priority. Overall, I wasn't super fast, but I was very organized and things went well...
Bike
  • 36m 37s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice ride..short and sweet. Very competitive bikers out there for this event. I've become accustomed to passing often and getting passed rarely at some of the smaller venues that I race in. This was different. I passed a few guys, but got passed by a few more...It was nice, though. A few of the guys who passed me reminded me that this was a race and I needed to act like it. As soon as that kicked in, a few of the guys who passed me got the favor returned. My goal was under 40:00 and I knocked it out in 36:37...

Push harder from start to finish...This was a sprint and I started riding like it was an OLY only kicking into 2nd gear on the way back. Also, I didn't take in any water...mouth was really dry, but I just ignored it. Overall, I don't think that affected me, though...Oh yeah, I want a nicer bike...enough of this entry level, aluminum BS. If I wanna hang with the big boys, I wanna play with the the same toys :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s

Nothing...still have not focused on becoming better in transition. Under 2:00 is fine by me.
Run
  • 23m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure what to expect from this run...I have had very limited running since hurting my ankle and have only been doing easy runs on the treadmill for the last month. This was only the 2nd time I had run on concrete since the injury and my first "brick". I was a little frustrated by how tired my legs were until I reminded myself that I just got done biking my ass off...Ankle was a little tender during the run, but nothing that slowed me down at all. It wasn't a great run, but it wasn't a terrible run either. My goal was 24:00 and I did 23:37...

I think that if my run training had not been affected I would have done much better...I've already told myself that I will not beat myself up over not posting great run times in the races I have coming up, including Boise 70.3
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at the expo, congratulated the few friends that I saw, thanked Mark for showing up and went home...But not before checking out my next bike at the Valdora tent!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of adrenaline/nerves. In fact lack of any sort of urgency regarding this race...

Event comments:

I've decided that I probably will not do any sprints for a while. It was hard for me to get into "race mode" for a race that lasts less than a couple of hours. My goal was 1:20 and I completed it in 1:18. But I still didn't get that post-race high that I love so much. Even though I PR'ed, had a great race and finished well, I expected to...There was no break through and I expected to do well as my training has been really good. I'm not upset by my performance, but not super excited either. Can't wait for BOISE!!!

Last updated: 2012-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:06 | 820 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 70/334
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector PRO X3
Course: Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:37 | 12.6 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Overall: 46/334
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:32 | 03.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 61/334
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-16 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Marquee Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-04-16 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4154291

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon - Sprint Course
Hey Jasen. Great race report. I was helping out at the first bike station. I saw you whiz past and by the time I shouted you were making the turn. Did you like this bike course better than the TI one?
2012-04-16 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Ha! I knew I heard someone yell my name...I couldn't think for the life of me who it could be so I wrote it off as I misheard something. That's awesome you were out there! The weather was perfect...Have you been able to pedal that new toy around??
2012-04-17 1:52 AM

Nice job!

And new bike in the future, eh?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed