Michigan Triathlon Team
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 05m 26s
Overall Rank = 4/80
Age Group = Collegiate Male
Age Group Rank = 2/35
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race really late, but for 40 bucks I figured why not?

Got up at 5:30, race was only 9 miles from my house. Unfortunatly, I was greated on the way to the race by a nice lightning storm and plenty of thunder. And.... it was POURING. Honestly, I wasn't sure that the race was going to happen, but I made myself go to the course. I got there relatively early, around 6:30 and sat around with everyone else, while we all hoped that the rain would go away. It didn't. I didn't even try to set up my transition area until around 7, and the race was scheduled to start at 8, and I was the first person to setup anything. Fortunatly, others followed.
Event warmup:

Around 7:15, I went for a quick bike trip and jogged around to try and loosen up. It wasn't nearly long enough of a warmup. I got my crap finalized in transition and headed to the pool to try and stretch and get some laps in. Swam around a bit (salt water pool....weird) and got in line with some other people who were trying to swim about 6:30 pace...
Swim
  • 06m 35s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first pool tri. Much easier than an open water swim. I actually think I perfer the open water though, there is a much better prep time, and less waiting around. I jumped into the pool and tried to stay near the top to get a good push from the wall to begin. My first 100 was really good and I felt very relaxed, probably from the fact that I was in a familiar environment. I haven't done a ton of offseason swimming, but I feel like my form has improved, I just need to get the strength to maintain a good pace. Anyways, about 75 yards in, I catch the person in front of me and pass her, and from there to the end I maintained almost the exact same distance to the person in front of me after the pass, which was great, because I had a nice open lane to swim in, but bad, because they ran into me about 250 yards in. Collision averted, continued on, with the swim going quite quickly in my mind. Got to the end, and my arms were tired from my lack of swim training, and had to pull myself out of the pool... no ladder or anything, and it was a ways up. Technically, my time was 7:19 for this, but that time included about a 250 m run to the transition area. Watch had me about 6:35 or so including the pull out of the pool.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training, I get tired and my form falls to crap.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

18/80 OA
5/35 AG

My God, what did I do? Make a meal? This has got to be my slowest transition ever. Ok, now in my defense, it was pouring rain, and I had all my crap in a plastic bag to try and keep it somewhat dry. I wanted to make sure that I didn't mess up anything, and getting stuff ready while its pouring just sucks. Everything I normally do felt like I did at half pace. Highlight of my stay in transition was putting on the aero helmet which had been sitting upside down on my bike while swimming and emptying at least 2 cups of water onto my head. Only thing I did different was take some time to put on arm warmers. Good call. Grabbed my bike and headed out.... Finally.

Not make a three course meal in transition. Looks like I need to practice again.
Bike
  • 34m 39s
  • 12.84 miles
  • 22.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Times were naturally slower due to the massive rain storm. I really wanted to just be safe and concentrate on speed once I got down the massive hill to get out of the school. The roads were seriously squirly out there, but I pushed on. The beginning was easy, although my legs were cold after swimming and with 1 mile downhill to start the race (and a steep enough one that I needed to control my speed in the rain) I wasn't pedaling almost at all, instead balancing the bike from going over 30mph by riding the brakes. Got around the scariest turn I have ever done in a tri (Maple onto HRD for you Michigan people, in the rain) and put the hammer down. Into about a 10-15 mph headwind, and slightly uphill along HRD, I was averaging 21 or so, and started passing the people in front. Really had to slow down for the train tracks to avoid wiping out in the wet. Right before the turnaround, and when I thought the crappy rain couldn't get worse, it did. I could barely see in front of my and the big fat drops hurt like hell as they hit any impacted skin. At this point, I was really really happy I put on the arm warmers. I remember only hearing the drops hitting the helmet and I must have looked behind me to make sure there were no cars 30 times. I really didnt want to get hit and I had no light on. Got to the turnaround in about 8-9th or so (remember time trial start, so places don't "realy" matter) and hammered the way back with only the crosswind to deal with. Was trying to average about 26 on the flat section, remembering that there were 2 huge climbs and 1 medium climb on the course. The first medium climb and first big climb I stayed in aero the whole time and spun up them, all the while passing some people. Got to the big climb ~1 mile from the end, and tried to spin up and not kill myself right before the run. As soon as I turned up onto the climb, some guy crashed right in front of me, I think from standing up and the back tire slid out as he hit the hammer. Kept my weight on the saddle for the whole way up. Rode into transition (at the top of the hill at a lovely 13 mph.. hahah.

Rain...? shrug.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

19/80
10/35

Just a little slow from having to dig through the bag to get my dry shoes. A little slow from not having crap organized like I ussually do.

not much....
Run
  • 21m 37s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 06m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Honestly, a little slow. I never put myself into the pain locker, and kind of lost motivation to fight when I got passed. Should have gone with the guy, I spotted him 50m, and then maintained that distance the whole way. Best feeling run after a tri in a long time though. Didn't need the aid station at all, and the run felt like it was over quickly, which is ussually a good sign. Only complaints I had was that the 4 180 degree turns were all at the bottom of the hills... so you ran down and had to run right back up after loosing momentum. On the second loop, the rain stopped.... Figures.

PUSH! I got way to complacent, and the time showed it.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, try to get dry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First tri of the season, lots of rain, lots of elevation change. I'm pretty happy with how it went, hopefully the move this summer won't kill to much of my training time. I need to find some races in Maryland to sign up for.

Event comments:

Lots more could be done, but its put on by the UM Tri club, and in its first year. They did a really good job, and I would recommend this to anyone. AWESOME Prizes for the winners though!

Last updated: 2012-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:35 | 400 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/35
Overall: 21/80
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Snake course on a 25 yard pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:39 | 12.84 miles | 22.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 3/80
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: An out and back from Skyline high school down Maple, onto HRD and back. Very Hilly for a tri course, lots of slippery corners and train tracks to cross. Over 550 ft of climbing. Last climb: Length 0.9 miles, Elevation Gain: 155 ft Avg Gradient: 3.3%
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average