Boston Athletic Association
85+F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 13s
Overall Rank = 1154/21554
Age Group = M 18-39
Age Group Rank = 790/4329
Pre-race routine:

With the race start at 10 AM, I didn't have to get up extremely early. Alarm went off at 5:30, had a regular breakfast of cereal, fruit, and OJ, then got my gear together and was on the way with Katie around 6:30. We got to the parking lot in Hopkinton around 7:15, and I jumped on a school bus to the Athlete Village.
Event warmup:

Hung out in the village for around 1 1/2 hours before begin the walk down to the start, 3/4 mile away. The walk was the warmup.

I attempted to do a little pre-cooling of my body by packing a frozen towel, bag of ice and popsicle. They all made it to the start, and I feel they helped me stay a bit cooler than I otherwise would have been.
Run
  • 3h 12m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great training cycle going into this race, starting at the end of November. I followed the Pfitz 18/70 plan, and the only speed-bump along the way was a mysterious pain on the top of my left foot that subsided after 10 days of not running. Other than that the training went very well, and I felt I was well prepared to run a sub 3:00 marathon.

My last tune-up race, two weeks ago was a 10k where I ran 36:34, leaving me feeling very positive for Boston. However, as the race drew near the forecast began looking quite problematic. About ten days out from the race forecasts were either calling for extremely high temps or normal (upper 50's) temps. It was dependent on a cold front pushing south, but that never materialized, and the race turned out to be one of the hottest on record.

The temperature at the start in Hopkinton was already near 80, and it only got warmer from there, peaking at 90 in the afternoon. Needless to say, my original time goal was thrown out the window, and the race turned into survival mode.

I was still holding an outside chance of sneaking in under 3:05 to qualify for Boston 2013. The first four miles out of Hopkinton into Ashland and then Framingham have a steep descent. I made a point of really holding back, running around a 7:05 pace. Even at this pace on a downhill my HR was above what my normal marathon pace HR should be (mid to upper 160's), so I knew it was going to be a rough day.

The first four miles were pretty uneventful, and I carried a water bottle for the first few miles to avoid congestion at the aid stations. Through six miles it was still quite congested, and I was still running in the low 7's and feeling pretty good.

From mile 7 to the half way point I ran in the 6:50's, again feeling pretty solid. At every aid station I drank a cup of Gatorade, some water, and dumped at least one cup of water on my head and body. I think this helped me feel cool. Tons of fans along the way had hoses to spray people and the fire stations all had 'spray tents' that we could run through. I even saw some kids with a garbage can filled with water using plastic buckets to toss on people. Spectators were also handing out cold sponges, popsicles, oranges, and water along the way.

Soon after the half way point I met up the Katie in Wellesley. Her parents have friends who live on the course and have an annual party. So, at mile 15 I got a new frozen towel, bag of ice, and some flat Coke with added salt. Around this point I realized that I didn't have a shot of qualifying for next year, so I decided to enjoy the remainder of the race. I gave some kids along the way high fives, and didn't even mind the Newton Hills, going through them at around a 7:30 pace.

It was around the Newton Hills that my quads began to become a bit sore and I was actually enjoying the uphills, and thinking of the descent past Boston College with a bit of dread. I crested Heart Break to the cheering of the crowds, then began to head down towards Boston. At this point things became kind of a blur. The heat really seemed to pick up and my pace began to fade a bit more. By around mile 24 I really just wanted the race to be over. The heat was oppressive and my quads were not happy.

I managed to trudge through Kenmore Square, head down Commonwealth, and make the infamous right onto Hereford St. When I turned onto Boylston I had a hard time even hearing myself think. I attempted to 'sprint' down Boylston St, but my pace there was 6:54 - quite a bit slower than my original goal pace of the low 6:40's.

I crossed the finish line, realizing I had just run one of the most storied races in the world. I began to walk through downtown, getting some water, food, and my medal. It took me about 45 minutes to make it through everyone and get to the Westin, where the charity I was running for had reserved a ballroom. It turns out that I was the first charity runner to finish for the Marathon Coalition (out of 130 runners). Katie actually happened to meet me right out front and we went inside. We had some good food, and we rested for close to an hour, before making our way back outside and to the subway. My big toe nails hurt quite a bit and I think they'll both fall off. I didn't have nail issues in my last marathon or ironman, so I was a bit surprised by this - maybe the added water from dousing myself contributed to this???

Katie had parked at Alewife, and taken the Red Line into the city, so we had to retrace her steps to get back to her car. Going down into the subway I had to hold onto the railing. We ended up getting home around 4:30, and then began preparing for our dinner party. My cousin from California had run the race, and she and her husband along with my family and Katie's family were coming over for dinner. I didn't end up getting to bed until after 11:00, but I slept amazingly well.

I ended up with 26.48 on my Garmin, about what I expected.

5k 10k 15k 20k Half 25k 30k 35k
21:57 44:09 1:05:50 1:27:42 1:32:26 1:49:49 2:12:46 2:36:31

40k Finish Pace Overall Division
3:01:17 3:12:13 7:20 1154/21,554 790

What would you do differently?:

Make it about 30-35 degrees cooler!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I probably shuffled well over a mile to get to the Westin to meet up with Katie and get reyhdrated and get in some nutrition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat turned out to be the real limiting factor. The winning time this year was nearly 10 minutes slower than last year. My placing (1154th) last year was good for a 2:57 marathon. I'd still love to run under 3:00, but I don't think it will happen this year.

Event comments:

My first Boston is done! It was one of the hottest on record, but I still had a blast. The crowds were amazing, and the volunteers were fantastic. The aid stations were well stocked and I was able to keep relatively cool. I'd love to run Boston again, but I'd love to do it when the conditions are just a bit cooler!

Last updated: 2011-11-26 12:00 AM
Running
03:12:13 | 26.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 790/4329
Overall: 1154/21554
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 171 Max HR: 183
Course: Hopkinton to Boston, passing though the suburbs west of Boston. First 4 miles steep descent, 12 pretty flat miles, 5 hilly miles to Heart Break, 2 mile descent, then flat to the end.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-17 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Boston Marathon

2012-04-17 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4155209

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon
Good job, way to hang tough. I agree the hardest part of the taht race is just past B.C. when you run down Commonweatlh Ave. That hurt so bad and then you never feel good agian.
2012-04-17 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Sounds like you did some good preventative measures to control the heat. Most people I know that ran it were a good 30-40 minutes off their previous marathon better times.  It's crazy to see BQ'ers in the men's 40-44 age group running 4:15!  Good job.
2012-04-17 4:56 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Well played. I was really looking forward to hearing about how you crushed this one, given all the work that you've put in for this over the winter. And it seems unfair that you don't get a BQ for running a 3:12 on such brutal day. Hope you can put that fitness to good use in the near future to throw down some great times over other distances. How about a low 1:20s HM?
2012-04-17 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Really impressive job, to come in that well even with the heat. I have to believe that with good weather you would have nailed a sub-3 easily. Excellent work.
2012-04-17 7:12 PM

User image

Pro
Excellent.  It wasn't a PR kinda' day- and running in that heat is a .  It slows you down, but it's doable.  Congrats on running your first Boston and reveling in the challenge of the day.  Still- a more than respectable time given the conditions.

2012-04-17 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Great job out there in those tough conditions. Glad you were able to keep everything in perspective and enjoy the moment. You're a Boston Marathon finisher - a worthy achievement to be proud of. Good luck this season!
2012-04-19 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Exellent result in brutal conditions! Great race report.  Congrats
2012-04-21 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Great job man!  I got 26.49 on my Garmin! Everyones Garmin was beeping way before those mile markers.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Marathon Rss Feed