Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4164251

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Trail Ettiquette: SRT
marine10k - 2012-04-21 10:02 AM

I rode the trail this morning as I am visiting the area.  Thanks all for the info from another thread.  I thought it was me but after reading your comments, I realize it wasn't.  There were way too many "Lance Armstrong Wannabes" out there.  As I am not a terribly fast rider I was passed by too many guys who had absolutely no etiquette at all.  Not one time was I given a warning.  It is a good thing that I ride far to the right.   Otherwise there would have been a collision or two.  Do these guys know how to ride to the right of the yellow line?  I, too, had no problems with the recreational bikers, runners, dogs, etc.  Actually the dogs seemed to have better trail etiquette than these road racers.

Other than that it was a nice long, flat ride.  I am glad I started at daybreak.  What's up with the gnats?

I'm sorry to hear you had problems on the trail. Today was pretty crazy, but that is typical when the weather is nice here. No, they do not know how to ride properly or in a single paceline.

I'm just getting back from riding. I left from the city, took MLK Drive across the Falls Bridge, out Manayunk and down Umbria to the trail head at Nixon. Rather than get on the path, I went to the left down River Road and out through Conshohocken. I have the turn-by-turn if anyone wants it.

Lots of nice hills and on the way back did part of Hart's lane just to add some pain. 35 miles round trip and I can feel the hills in my legs. Saw lots of bikers and they were very friendly, no issues with traffic or nuts on the trails. I will definitely be doing this ride or variations of it often as a hill workout.

2012-04-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4155222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

I agree with the etiquette of some riders, but I find the trail to be fine as long as you're willing to ride safe and smart.  Realize that you're going to slow down at points and need to be aware of others that might not be as "smart" of a rider as you.  Always signal passes.  Recognize that you may average .5mph or a whole mph slower on your ride because you're being defensive.  I ride from Phoenixville down to Manayunk.  I like to throw in the hills out past the perkiomen trail and harts lane and shawmont into my ride so the flat is bookended with some real work.  

@sgillen, thanks for the quakertown route.  I think I may give that one a shot soon.

2012-04-24 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4155222

User image

Veteran
PA
I rode friday afternoon and only had one issue (plus the gnats).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail Ettiquette: SRT Rss Feed  

of 2