General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail Ettiquette: SRT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-17 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: Trail Ettiquette: SRT

In the past this has never been a problem, but for some reason this year people on the trail just suck.  And no I am not talking about people walking with dogs, or kids running around without paying attention.  I get that.  What I am talking about are the cyclists who dont call passes and pass with only inches to spare.  Seriously guys - when coming up behind another cyclist CALL YOU PASS.  For cryin' out loud is it such a big deal to say "on your left" as you come up behind? 

Why the hell are you passing me with only three inches between us?  This is the SRT... its windy... I drift back and forth those few inches whenever there is a wind gust. 

This year I am starting out riding at a slower pace than I was last year because I am working on some technique and cadence, etc.  So maybe I never noticed when I rode at higher speeds, thus nobody was passing me?  I dont know.  But I have noticed a distinct lack of basic trail ettiquette lately on the SRT and its starting to really irritate me.

</rant>

2012-04-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4155222

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Trail Ettiquette: SRT

If you choose to ride on the trail, be my guest.

As a dedicated roadie, I have found that the only thing that ever gets a real workout on a trail are my brakes and my nerves.

I stick to the road now.  Much better.  YMMV.

2012-04-17 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4155414

User image

Pro
datlas - 2012-04-17 10:34 AM

As a dedicated roadie, I have found that the only thing that ever gets a real workout on a trail are my brakes and my nerves.

I'm with you, really do my best to avoid the SRT these days. It's too flat and too busy for me.

Only place I can't avoid the trail is trying to get out of the city, between the Art Museum and Falls Bridge. And it's horrible.

2012-04-17 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4155565

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-04-17 11:15 AM

I'm with you, really do my best to avoid the SRT these days. It's too flat and too busy for me.

Only place I can't avoid the trail is trying to get out of the city, between the Art Museum and Falls Bridge. And it's horrible.

Take the MLK side; it's way less traveled. Or just ride in the street

2012-04-17 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4155813

User image

Pro
mrbbrad - 2012-04-17 12:39 PM

After work the last place I want to be during rush hour is either of the drives. Instant death! During the weekends MLK is closed now, so that's the way I go.

2012-04-17 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4155877

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-04-17 12:55 PM

After work the last place I want to be during rush hour is either of the drives. Instant death! During the weekends MLK is closed now, so that's the way I go.

I meant the trail on that side

2012-04-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4156064

User image

Pro
mrbbrad - 2012-04-17 1:42 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-04-17 12:55 PM

I meant the trail on that side

But that means crossing the Schuylkill twice. I can't afford the tolls.

2012-04-17 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
It is a shame but lets face it, using the SRT for serious training is just plan foolish. The trail doesn't offer anything close to typical elevation gain of anything but the flattest of courses so it isn't particularly valuable from a training standpoint and with its popularity it is just too crowded for anything but running. Again it offers little elevation change so using it might leave you less prepared than if you go elsewhere unless doing intervals or something similar. If you want to train come out to the burbs where the roads are far friendlier and hillier.  
2012-04-18 6:05 PM

I am struggling with this thread.  I think making blanket comments about the SRT is hard when finished parts of it stretch over the intended 130 miles from Reading/Hamburg to Philadelphia.  The SRT in Philadelphia is vastly different from Oaks or Reading so authors should apply some qualification around statements.

I ride between Manayunk and Phoenixville regularly and find it to be a great training ground.  Etiquette is important for safety.  I have children and believe you never pass a kid gong over 5 MPH and never pass a runners over 5 MPH without them knowing you are coming.  Runners turn around all the time without looking (when they are doing an out and back).  At the end of the day though.... it is a Multi Use Trail.  Bikes are a multi use and bikers should take just as much claim of it. 

As for a workout….  It is good training for racing to ride at a steady state without stopping at lights or easing up on the downhill.  It is typically prescribed that you do these steady state rides once a week on a trainer in your basement.  I think the SRT is a great substitute for my cinder block walls.... the key is timing.... If I want to hammer at a steady state for 30 miles and not be in my basement... I hit the SRT at sunrise... or when the weather is not as appealing to most people.  I have averaged over 23 MPH from Pville to Conshocken in the rain without breaking my slow down for kids and runners rules.   That is a workout I can't get easily anywhere else.

I say use the SRT outside the Philadelphia City limits and just make sure you set an example for others on trail etiquette.

I do have one last comment..... With my 100s of hours on the trail, I have never seen a solo Triathlete have an accident on the SRT outside the city limits.   I have seen plenty of bike accidents... but they have ALWAYS resulted from multiple bikers drafting.  Drafting on the SRT is a bad idea.  Feel free to disagree.... plenty of people do in action.

Pat

2012-04-19 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone...

I am only speaking of the SRT in the Phila region. I have never been out past Oaks. Certainly the trail itself is not the problem it is the amount and widely varied use it gets (and the etiquette) of the users. If it gets finished further north there will likely be large stretches that will see much less traffic making it much safer. If you train on it during the low use times then all the better. I am just speaking in general terms based on my experience. When the other sections are completed it might offer some perfect training for long aero position rides which are hard to find close to the city and traffic.  

2012-04-19 10:30 AM

User image

noofus - 2012-04-17 9:29 AM

In the past this has never been a problem, but for some reason this year people on the trail just suck.  And no I am not talking about people walking with dogs, or kids running around without paying attention.  I get that.  What I am talking about are the cyclists who dont call passes and pass with only inches to spare.  Seriously guys - when coming up behind another cyclist CALL YOU PASS.  For cryin' out loud is it such a big deal to say "on your left" as you come up behind? 

Why the hell are you passing me with only three inches between us?  This is the SRT... its windy... I drift back and forth those few inches whenever there is a wind gust. 

This year I am starting out riding at a slower pace than I was last year because I am working on some technique and cadence, etc.  So maybe I never noticed when I rode at higher speeds, thus nobody was passing me?  I dont know.  But I have noticed a distinct lack of basic trail ettiquette lately on the SRT and its starting to really irritate me.

You need to move to Slowtwitch.

2012-04-19 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I ride the trail occasionally but avoid the sections south of Shawmont as much as possible. Sometimes I like a flat stretch to ride, and sometimes I like to stay on the aero bars for and extended period, but there are knuckle heads out there who can cause problems.
2012-04-19 10:56 AM

User image

Pro

Not to be a weenie, but the speed limit on the SRT is 15mph. Within the Fairmount Park System (Philadelphia) it's actually 7mph.

Honestly I do not go 7mph, but I also am doing my best to get out onto the road and hit some hills and scenery. Going back and forth on a flat strip is incredibly boring, and I can easily get up to 22-25mph on some of the flatter roads, and waaay faster than that going down hills

If you want to lay down the hammer on the tri bike, show up for the West River Time Trials. It's a blast!

2012-04-19 3:17 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia

Totally agree, it is foolish to ride the SRT near Philly for training rides.  I can see the trail from my place and never ride it.  I've been dinged by a cyclist just trying to run it.  

Quakertown is just glorious and worth the drive, or Reading (Blue Marsh) if you have a nice little group of patient MDot's to take you under their wing

2012-04-19 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4161311

Malvern, PA
NurseHeather - 2012-04-19 3:17 PM

Totally agree, it is foolish to ride the SRT near Philly for training rides.  I can see the trail from my place and never ride it.  I've been dinged by a cyclist just trying to run it.  

Quakertown is just glorious and worth the drive, or Reading (Blue Marsh) if you have a nice little group of patient MDot's to take you under their wing

I agree it's wise to stay off the trail.

I am heading to Blue Marsh for some OWS the day after tomorrow.  

2012-04-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4160403

User image

Veteran
cbire880 - 2012-04-19 11:30 AM

2012-04-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4160403

User image

Veteran
cbire880 - 2012-04-19 11:30 AM

Perhaps - but you need to get your butt out of Singapore and back here!

Edited by noofus 2012-04-20 11:23 AM
2012-04-20 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4160462

User image

Veteran

mrbbrad - 2012-04-19 11:49 AM I ride the trail occasionally but avoid the sections south of Shawmont as much as possible. Sometimes I like a flat stretch to ride, and sometimes I like to stay on the aero bars for and extended period, but there are knuckle heads out there who can cause problems.

I work in Valley Forge and my schedule is tight.  The SRT is the best place for me to get a quick ride in before I need to be elsewhere on some days.

I dont use the SRT as my exclusive training ground, and I never ride there on weekends due to crowds.  The times I ride are perfectly safe for training (weekday afternoons).  My rant in this thread is about people being stupid about passing.  And specifically I am talking about people who should know better... 

2012-04-20 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

i haven't been out on the srt this year yet, but, i admit i don't always say "on your left" when i pass there. 

I have found that sometimes it startles people and actually makes them swerve towards me when i say something.  so, i make a judgment call as i approach. 

If i think it's safer to say something, i definitely do.  But if their riding gives me the willies in any way then i may just blow by and spare us both.  Didn't realize i was violating an etiquette rule or pi$$ing people off so much until your rant.  sorry!

I'm more annoyed by the people coming from the opposite direction that ride double-wide, having a nice chat, and barely give you room to squeak by. Those have been my closest calls.

2012-04-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4162845

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
noofus - 2012-04-20 12:27 PM

mrbbrad - 2012-04-19 11:49 AM I ride the trail occasionally but avoid the sections south of Shawmont as much as possible. Sometimes I like a flat stretch to ride, and sometimes I like to stay on the aero bars for and extended period, but there are knuckle heads out there who can cause problems.

I work in Valley Forge and my schedule is tight.  The SRT is the best place for me to get a quick ride in before I need to be elsewhere on some days.

I dont use the SRT as my exclusive training ground, and I never ride there on weekends due to crowds.  The times I ride are perfectly safe for training (weekday afternoons).  My rant in this thread is about people being stupid about passing.  And specifically I am talking about people who should know better... 

Last year I had a guy pass real close without warning. I had slowed a bit to drink and it startled the crap out of me so I chased him down and passed him with a very loud "On your left!"

What's worst are the packs of riders who won't keep left. I may have stuck out an elbow here and there when oncoming riders take more than half the trail.

Hmm... maybe I need to chill out a bit  

2012-04-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4161311

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
NurseHeather - 2012-04-19 4:17 PM

Heather!!! 

How have you been? I work this weekend but am looking to head towards Blue Marsh again. Stay in touch. I also ride Quakertown all the time. let me know when you wanna head up. 

For everyone else, I ride from Lansdale towards Lake Nockamixon about every other weekend. It is a nice ride with the ability to stay aero a lot. We have also gone to Blue Marsh several times a year the last 2 years. It is a great training day once the water warms up a little. I never mind company if anyone is interested... 

Edited by sgillen 2012-04-20 5:20 PM

2012-04-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4163677

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
sgillen - 2012-04-20 6:19 PM

Heather!!! 

How have you been? I work this weekend but am looking to head towards Blue Marsh again. Stay in touch. I also ride Quakertown all the time. let me know when you wanna head up. 

For everyone else, I ride from Lansdale towards Lake Nockamixon about every other weekend. It is a nice ride with the ability to stay aero a lot. We have also gone to Blue Marsh several times a year the last 2 years. It is a great training day once the water warms up a little. I never mind company if anyone is interested... 

Would love to hear more details about the Quakertown ride.  I live in Plymouth Meeting and ride the SRT when I have to.  Actually, for Eagleman, which is pancake flat and windy, it is a pretty good proxy.  I often ride out towards Schwenksville, but there are just too many lights.   

2012-04-20 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4160462

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
mrbbrad - 2012-04-19 10:49 AM

I ride the trail occasionally but avoid the sections south of Shawmont as much as possible. Sometimes I like a flat stretch to ride, and sometimes I like to stay on the aero bars for and extended period, but there are knuckle heads out there who can cause problems.

In every online forum there's always some clown giving their opinion.

Sorry, because of the picture I just couldn't resist
2012-04-21 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4163685

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
JoePetto - 2012-04-20 6:26 PM
sgillen - 2012-04-20 6:19 PM

Heather!!! 

Would love to hear more details about the Quakertown ride.  I live in Plymouth Meeting and ride the SRT when I have to.  Actually, for Eagleman, which is pancake flat and windy, it is a pretty good proxy.  I often ride out towards Schwenksville, but there are just too many lights.   

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=22451

Here is the general route I take from home up to Lake Nockamixon (Quakertown). The route is mostly quiet back roads. Once you get to the lake the route around the lake is close to 19 miles long with wide shoulders and very few stops so aero can be held for a long time. It is a great training area. 

2012-04-21 9:02 AM

User image

Catonsville

I rode the trail this morning as I am visiting the area.  Thanks all for the info from another thread.  I thought it was me but after reading your comments, I realize it wasn't.  There were way too many "Lance Armstrong Wannabes" out there.  As I am not a terribly fast rider I was passed by too many guys who had absolutely no etiquette at all.  Not one time was I given a warning.  It is a good thing that I ride far to the right.   Otherwise there would have been a collision or two.  Do these guys know how to ride to the right of the yellow line?  I, too, had no problems with the recreational bikers, runners, dogs, etc.  Actually the dogs seemed to have better trail etiquette than these road racers.

Other than that it was a nice long, flat ride.  I am glad I started at daybreak.  What's up with the gnats?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail Ettiquette: SRT Rss Feed  

of 2