General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint 4/22 - Swim HELP needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-20 9:16 AM

Subject: First Sprint 4/22 - Swim HELP needed

I am doing a mini sprint tri on Sunday with a 400m pool swim. I have been training in 25m lanes til last week and in 50m lanes this week since that is where the race is. I am having a very hard time with my breathing – which I think is b/c I am used to 25m lanes.  I am very concerned that I will have problems on Sunday. I know the adrenalin of the race day will help and I just have to take it slow. 

And I know I need to change my thinking about all this anxiety – but that’s hard for me right now.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

And I know this is a mini in the tri world, but trust me, by no means a mini to me….

Thanks so much!

2012-04-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4162475

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First Sprint 4/22 - Swim HELP needed
My advice would be to relax and take it slower than usual.
And have fun!  
2012-04-20 1:46 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
^^What she said.

If you've been doing the distances, then it doesn't matter if you've been doing it in 25m or 50m pools, it's probably just a mental block.

Relax, take it easy, and have fun - enjoy the ride, you're gonna love it

Good luck!
2012-04-20 2:24 PM

New user
DC Metro
I had the same problem the first time I swam in a 50 meter pool.  I got to about 35 meters and had to stop and tread water. I felt ridiculous because in my 25 yd pool I could swim 1000 yds without stopping!  I have no swimming background and it was just a mental thing I had to get through.  The same thing happened the first time I swam in my tri suit and my wetsuit.  I just had to learn to RELAX and focus on breathing and getting into a rhythm.  If you can, get another swim or two in the 50m pool but you should be fine. 
2012-04-20 2:27 PM

New user
DC Metro
Oh, and congrats on what I assume is your first tri!  There is no such thing as a 'mini mini tri'.  At any distance a tri is still a tri, and after completing you will belong to a very small percentage of the population that have completed a triathlon.  Don't minimize your accomplishment!  Congrats!
2012-04-20 3:18 PM

Yes – my first tri and but by no means a mini in my book, a tri for me! And on top of it all the forecast is for 52 and a 70% chance of rain. Never had an inspiration to do a mud run, but think I will get a taste… And I know it’s so much it is mental and I need to work on that between now and Sunday morning…  I tried to swim in the same pool as the race last nite and it didn’t go well – could only do 200m and the nerves got the best of me.

So – thanks for the advice and any thing else would be appreciated!

2012-04-20 3:22 PM

The swim portion is the only leg where you can have major life threatening issues.  Therefore, I always tell folks if they are concerned they cannot make it due to whatever reason they should not do the event.  If you are worried about drowning or have not trained the distance, that is a reason to pause and consider if this is right for you, and the impact on your fellow competitors.  

If you are just experiencing the normal pre race anxiety, just relax and you will be fine.  

2012-04-20 3:29 PM

New user
DC Metro

You will be fine.  Most tris that have a pool swim have a lot of first-timers and newbies.  There is no shame in hanging on to the wall for a bit to catch your breath and gather your nerves.  You cannot improve your fitness between now and Sunday.  Trust your training!  Hydrate well today and tomorrow, eat well, and get a good sleep tonight.  If you are anything like me you may not get much sleep on Saturday night! 

Get to the tri with plenty of time to set up your transition area.  Feeling rushed is a terrible feeling when you are already nervous.  Bring an extra towel and a change of clothes for after - especially if it is raining you will want to get out of your wet clothes right away.  Lots of body glyde - chafing canbe worse in wet clothes.  If you have a water proof/resistant jacket and it really is 50 and raining you might want to wear that especially on the bike.  It might slow you down a tad, but on your first I am assuming finishing is priority to you over your time.

Most of all - enjoy yourself!  We are all blessed to have the time and ability to do this.  I am grateful every time I get to cross a finish line.

david

2012-04-20 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
David said it all.  My first non pool event was a 750 meter swim in a lake.  I knew I could do the distance so I started slow and built up my speed as I felt comfortable.  I passed a lot of people who took off like jets and then ran out of gas.  Try and concentrate on your form and try and relax.  Don't get caught up in the racing mentality until you have a few races under your belt.  Of course give it all that you have left when you get to the run.
2012-04-20 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4163460

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
caseyjoel - 2012-04-20 3:18 PM

Yes – my first tri and but by no means a mini in my book, a tri for me! And on top of it all the forecast is for 52 and a 70% chance of rain. Never had an inspiration to do a mud run, but think I will get a taste… And I know it’s so much it is mental and I need to work on that between now and Sunday morning…  I tried to swim in the same pool as the race last nite and it didn’t go well – could only do 200m and the nerves got the best of me.

So – thanks for the advice and any thing else would be appreciated!

You'll be great!! I was given an amazing piece of advice - once that initial 30 seconds is over, you will realize it is just you and the water and all your training will come in, and you will forget your anxiety.  I think you might just be having a few pre race jitters, but you are going to be just fine.  I am not a fan of pool races, and would rather be in an OWS than anywhere else, but at least you won't have the added anxiety of open water.  You will still have a lane to follow and can rest on the side if you absolutely have to, but I'm sure you won't need too!  Laughing

Just remember, take it slow if you need to, you will finish, and have a time to beat next time.   

As far as the mud run, I am jealous!  The muddier, the harder the trail, the longer the run the better for me!  Mud runs are the best to me, and can be super fun!  Even if you are not a fan, you can chalk it up to another "obstacle" you overcame in your first tri!  

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-04-20 4:08 PM
2012-04-20 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Worst case scenario is that you get tired and have to grab the side or the lane marker for a few seconds if your nerves get the better of you.

Just relax, focus on racing your race and spend the next couple of days visualizing yourself succeeding.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint 4/22 - Swim HELP needed Rss Feed