General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim drills with ankle band = new swim coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2012-04-21 4:38 PM

Subject: Swim drills with ankle band = new swim coach

I think I found my new awesome swim coach.

It's my home-grown ankle-lock band for swimming, coupled with one-arm and flotation drills. No pull buoy allowed - that's the whole point of the ankle band.

It took me an entire hour today before I just started to get a true movement-free glide on the one-arm pull, with not a sliver of extra kicking or extraneous motion. But wow - when it works, it's like magic - a super smooth glide, no bobbing, just knifing through the water, and no part of your body in motion to interrupt it. 

The ankle band really keeps you honest.  I suddenly went from feeling like my technique was pretty solid, to noticing that it's a lot sloppier than I'd ever imagined. And trust me when I say you CANNOT 'mimic' the ankle band by just holding your heels together or similar - that's what I was doing for most of this year, and the ankle band is a whole different world as there's almost no cheating. I'd highly recommend it to intermediate and above swimmers looking to check their technique. Doing those drills (like the ones in Total Immersion) with the ankle band is really a revelation to how your body position is and how much extra motion is going on and adds a whole new dimension to it. 

(If you're a beginner though - I'd wait on the ankle band, as it'll just add to your frustration, but you can revisit it later.)

2012-04-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4164635

Regular
Subject: RE: Swim drills with ankle band = new swim coach

What actual drills are you doing with it?

2012-04-21 6:50 PM

The ones recommended in Total Immersion.

- Kicking on side, one arm extended

- One-arm pulls, one arm extended

- Same thing with arm not extended

All with band no buoy

2012-04-21 7:07 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
How does one kick on their side while also using a band?  Dolphin kick?
2012-04-21 10:40 PM

User image

I'm definitely going to have to try this out.  I feel like my technique is solid as well, but could certainly be improved.  It's just that I've already picked the low hanging fruit, so I'm not sure where to look next

When you kick, do you do a two beat or a four or six beat kick?  When I switched over to a two beat kick, I realized my previous kick style was a huge cause of drag - not only in my feet, but because the kick was twisting my lower body separately from my upper body during certain parts of the stroke cycle.  Not good.

2012-04-22 12:01 AM
in reply to: #4164761

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

axteraa - 2012-04-21 5:07 PM How does one kick on their side while also using a band?  Dolphin kick?

Yes, I'm a bit confused.  Please clarify those drills... I'm interested in improving as well.

2012-04-22 12:04 AM
in reply to: #4164953

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
rmiller1976 - 2012-04-21 8:40 PM

I'm definitely going to have to try this out.  I feel like my technique is solid as well, but could certainly be improved.  It's just that I've already picked the low hanging fruit, so I'm not sure where to look next

When you kick, do you do a two beat or a four or six beat kick?  When I switched over to a two beat kick, I realized my previous kick style was a huge cause of drag - not only in my feet, but because the kick was twisting my lower body separately from my upper body during certain parts of the stroke cycle.  Not good.

I switched from 6-beat to 2-beat kicks this year too and the reduction in drag was amazing plus my efficiency went up.  I'm still working on timing the kicks correctly with the strokes.  =)

Edited by kloofyroland 2012-04-22 12:05 AM
2012-04-22 12:31 AM
in reply to: #4164761

axteraa - 2012-04-21 7:07 PM How does one kick on their side while also using a band?  Dolphin kick?

Oops - total brain fart there.

I meant one-arm pulls, not kicking.

No kicking drills. As expected given your ankles are locked.  Woops.

2012-04-22 1:22 AM
in reply to: #4164992

Regular

kloofyroland - 2012-04-22 5:01 PM

... I'm interested in improving as well.

Just to clarify. I have no interest in improving. I just wanna get faster.

Reckon I've been improving for two years now and nothing makes a difference to my lap times.

:/

Thanks for the drill info Yaz.

2012-04-22 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4165014

I can't help but feel that this will improve swimming. Far from expert here, but I can swim an all-out 100 in sub 1:20 so I'm not a total beginner, either. 

The one thing I though of when I got those few 'pure glide' strokes down every now and then was "I'll bet this is how TJ Fry feels!" , at least  in a really beginner sort of way! I thought I did a minimal kick (like less than 2 beats) but after feeling what a true glide feels like, I'm convinced my kick is still compensating for sloppiness. (I can swim a pull buoy with the ankle band no problem- it's actually too easy techniquewise.)

I can't point to one thing that has made is a lot easier/better in the past week I've been doing it, since it seems that so many factors are involved to get that smooth, but for sure, one big piece of it is really pushing the chest down into the water. I was aware of this before, but with that one-armed pull drill at a slow pace, ankles locked, you really learn where that balance spot is. I can do it really well on my dominant right side and it feels SO smooth, but it's a wakeup call on my left where I just can't stay level or without tipping on the rotation without some cheater dolphin kicks. That's some work to be done there!

2012-04-23 8:32 AM

Regular

Gave it a try this afternoon and I have to agree.

I've tried ankle band on its own before and didn't learn much - my feet sank, but I just compensated with a stronger pull. Ankle-band with one-arm pull really draws out the idea that it's about balance, not propulsion.

2012-04-24 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

The ankle band is a drowning device!!!  Well I've only used mine once and I already hate it!  I'm an average swimmer and have been told that I have smooth technique.  Hell, random swimmers tell me I have a smooth technique?  Am I fast?  Not really. 1:25 on a hundred is my fastest but not consistently. 

How the hell can I make swimming with an ankle band happen?  I want to just keep on working on it but I almost gave up on the first try.  Oh well...  Back to the pool again at lunch time...

2012-04-24 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4164953

rmiller1976 - 2012-04-21 10:40 PM

When I switched over to a two beat kick, I realized my previous kick style was a huge cause of drag - not only in my feet, but because the kick was twisting my lower body separately from my upper body during certain parts of the stroke cycle.  Not good.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but if you had a good six beat kick you weren't causing any extra drag or causing any sort of stroke issue.  A good six beat kick is a thing of beauty and no one who has a good six beat will ever go to a two or four beat.  

2012-04-24 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
Still failed at lunch time today.  I used it with paddles and was slowly able to inch forward on the opposite side of the pool.  I'll try it next time with a pull buoy and paddle.  Maybe that will make it easier...  Seriously 1000m for 1 hour...
2012-04-28 9:44 AM

Master

For all you folks who are looking for techinque-related gains, I'd still SERIOUSLY recommend the ankle band. I jumped onboard after the OP's post above, and it's really changing my swimming.

I had a revelatory swim today where I took off the ankle band, and did one-arm pull drills with a small kick after 20 mins of drilling with the ankle band. Without trying that hard at all, one-arm pulled my way to a 1:45/100, which is nearly my regular swim T-pace. 

I unfortunately have a ways to go before I integrate the smoothness from my drills to my regular stroke, but I'm already a hair faster (like 1-2sec/100, which is a big deal for me.)

Also, I'd also add that at least for me, I feel that you cannot simulate the ankle band by just touching your toes or locking your ankles. You will certainly cheat at a key moment and do a microkick just when you shouldn't be doing it without the ankles locked, which destroys the whole point of the band.

Last point as well - I'm finding you do NOT have to swim fast to use the ankle band. In fact, I can use it successfully at a sluglike 3min/100 when I'm doing heavy emphasis on balance with exaggerated slow one-armed pulls, which is a GREAT drill. I don't think I swim faster than 1:50/100 with the ankle band even when doing it right. (I drop immediately to 1:30-1:35 when I remove it, though.)

Edited by agarose2000 2012-04-28 9:49 AM
2012-04-28 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4178180

Glad you're finding it as useful as I am!

Those one-arm drills are tough - but great. I'm still semi-drowning on the left, but doing great on the right. Breathing is still an issue as well...

Keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by yazmaster 2012-04-28 9:51 AM

2012-04-28 10:32 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Now that you can do it with the ankle band, revisit trying it without. You need to learn how to do this without an aid as well.

Happy to hear the newfound success though!

Please read this article which explains why you should next progress to "graduating" from the band:

http://steelcityendurance.com/swimming/swimming-technique-scissors-...
2012-04-28 10:51 AM

Master

I dunno - I actually disagree with that article, honestly. It implies that you might be using an ankle band as a swim crutch to keep the legs together, which I don't think is the case at all.

I have had absolutely zero problems coming off the ankle band to regular swimming. Maybe others have had problems adapting (?) but it's really so much easier to swim without the band, even maintaining the no-kick situation (or minimal kick) that I think it's not really true that you have to actually work on swimming without the band to teach yourself that motion without it.

Even if you try and kick with the ankle band on, it'll be unproductive, and you'll struggle. You can't just dolphin kick your way into staying afloat, it won't work as you can't scissor kick to correct balance. 

It's also not like a pull buoy where you might rely on it as a crutch - you will NEVER rely on an ankle band as a crutch, which is why I have come to really appreciate it.

As said above as well, I disagree that you can better emulate the motion of the band by just touching your toes. If anyone doubts this, just try it with and without the band - there is a 100% chance you will find it harder to swim with the band, just because you will invariably cheat without it. In fact, I assumed I would be very proficient at the band because that's exactly what I did in my practice this past year, just touching or locking ankles during drills, and was shocked at how sloppy my form was revealed to be after using the ankle band. It's night and day, really.

2012-04-28 12:48 PM

Good comments everyone! Suzanne - love the blog BTW! Am checking it out for pointers.
2012-04-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4178226

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
agarose2000 - 2012-04-28 9:51 AM

I dunno - I actually disagree with that article, honestly. It implies that you might be using an ankle band as a swim crutch to keep the legs together, which I don't think is the case at all.

I have had absolutely zero problems coming off the ankle band to regular swimming. Maybe others have had problems adapting (?) but it's really so much easier to swim without the band, even maintaining the no-kick situation (or minimal kick) that I think it's not really true that you have to actually work on swimming without the band to teach yourself that motion without it.

Even if you try and kick with the ankle band on, it'll be unproductive, and you'll struggle. You can't just dolphin kick your way into staying afloat, it won't work as you can't scissor kick to correct balance. 

It's also not like a pull buoy where you might rely on it as a crutch - you will NEVER rely on an ankle band as a crutch, which is why I have come to really appreciate it.

As said above as well, I disagree that you can better emulate the motion of the band by just touching your toes. If anyone doubts this, just try it with and without the band - there is a 100% chance you will find it harder to swim with the band, just because you will invariably cheat without it. In fact, I assumed I would be very proficient at the band because that's exactly what I did in my practice this past year, just touching or locking ankles during drills, and was shocked at how sloppy my form was revealed to be after using the ankle band. It's night and day, really.

When I do this work with students invariably there are people who get it right away and people who no matter how hard they try cannot get the legs to quiet. When I tell them that their legs WILL sink, the WILL feel off balance and its OK...it's much easier to 'get it' without the band.

I'm not saying don't use it, but I'll just share an anecdote of one of my OWN swimmers (sigh)...He had a scissors kick that just would not go away...but the main problem was not the kick it was the sinking hips. When I would suggest ways to correct the sinking hips he could perform for about 5-10 seconds and then say, "That's hard". Duh...of course it's hard, otherwise you would already be doing it. During those 5 seconds his hips would be at the surface and the legs would be streamlined.

it's almost like he wouldn't believe that the sinking hips were his main problem and he focused ONLY on the kick.

I finally suggested that he use an ankle band and he did...and has been using it with EVERY SWIM for the past 9 months. He has improved, but now he puts the band at his knees and guess what...he still has a scissors kick.

Granted, he's not doing what I suggested nor what's being suggested on this thread. Sigh. There will always be 'that guy' who just won't believe any advice given.
2012-04-28 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4178332

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
yazmaster - 2012-04-28 11:48 AM

Good comments everyone! Suzanne - love the blog BTW! Am checking it out for pointers.

Just search for "swimming" category. I just had the website updated and am cleaning it all up now. Prior the blog was dysfunctional and I had to "fake" it with a lot of different categories.

2012-04-28 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4178338

Master

Well, if you put the band at your KNEES, that's kind of avoiding the whole point of the ankle band, so I'm not surprised (nor are you) that it's not working out for him. Either way, that's not the fault of the ankle band, but the fault of the (obvious) mis-use of it in a way it wasn't intended to be used. 

I do agree it can be like torture to wear one of these things if you're starting out, and real beginners who aren't comfortable in the water yet should steer clear for awhile as it's going to make an already hard situation that much harder, but if you're like me, and feeling like you're plateauing techniquewise, I think you should try and get this ankle band swimming skill down - it's a revelation in the flaws in your technique.

And going from band to no band - WOW. Talk about putting on jets!

Edited by agarose2000 2012-04-28 1:20 PM
2012-04-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4178351

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
agarose2000 - 2012-04-28 12:13 PM

Well, if you put the band at your KNEES, that's kind of avoiding the whole point of the ankle band, so I'm not surprised (nor are you) that it's not working out for him. Either way, that's not the fault of the ankle band, but the fault of the (obvious) mis-use of it in a way it wasn't intended to be used. 

I do agree it can be like torture to wear one of these things, and real beginners who aren't comfortable in the water yet should steer clear for awhile as it's going to make an already hard situation that much harder, but if you're like me, and feeling like you're plateauing techniquewise, I think you should try and get this ankle band swimming skill down - it's a revelation in the flaws in your technique.

Initially I suggested he put it at his knees just to help him FEEL how to keep his legs closer together...and identify the other balance issues that were contributing to the wide kick. But he managed a way to create a scissors kick without moving his knees...which is really no better.

His issue is that he won't spend time working on problem #1...sinking hips.
2012-04-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4178361

Master

Well, if he put the band where it belongs, which is at the ankles, and not at the knees, he would be spending ALL of his time working on sinking hips. You can't go anywhere if your hips are sinking with the ankle band on correctly so it autocorrects. That's the beauty of the ankle band - it makes it impossible to cheat on the body position. Even a teensy tiny kick will be prohibited, and thus you'll really see your swim balance flaws.

Put the band on the knees, and all bets are off, as you can clearly scissor kick and do all sorts of other compensating kicks for incorrect upper body form. 

I definitely wouldn't use knee-band guy as an example of how an ankle band isn't working for improving balance in the water, as he's clearly not using an ankle band. 

2012-04-28 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4178373

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
agarose2000 - 2012-04-28 12:31 PM

Well, if he put the band where it belongs, which is at the ankles, and not at the knees, he would be spending ALL of his time working on sinking hips. You can't go anywhere if your hips are sinking with the ankle band on correctly so it autocorrects. That's the beauty of the ankle band - it makes it impossible to cheat on the body position. Even a teensy tiny kick will be prohibited, and thus you'll really see your swim balance flaws.

Put the band on the knees, and all bets are off, as you can clearly scissor kick and do all sorts of other compensating kicks for incorrect upper body form. 

I definitely wouldn't use knee-band guy as an example of how an ankle band isn't working for improving balance in the water, as he's clearly not using an ankle band. 

well I just thought you'd get a kick out it

The point is...if people allowed themselves to feel what it's like to sink, and not get freaked out, they wouldn't need ankle bands. I do tehse exercises all the time without. as long as people know that they probably will sink, swallow water, etc, etc...they get it....about 2 25s to get them to experience the awful feeling, then 2 25s with tips on what to fix...the back to regular swimming. Doesn't make perfect swimmers, but result in rapid improvement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim drills with ankle band = new swim coach Rss Feed  

of 1