Onestepbeyondpromotions
44F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 50m 56s
Overall Rank = 423/444
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 45/45
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4.30am thanks to my dog. Not worth trying to get back to bed as planned to get up at 5 anyway. Felt hungry so tucked into a chicken and cucumber french stick with a cup of tea.
Left with plenty of time to spare for the 40 mile drive to the venue.
Event warmup:

1st competitor to turn up as the roads were clear at that time in the morning so had plenty of time to familiarise myself with the venue and get properly prepared. Had an energy drink and energy chocolate bar whilst getting dressed.
Swim
  • 13m 57s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pool based swim. Had a bad swim. I had been improving my times in practice, but as i had already entered my estimated time i was placed in a group of similar level swimmers who i was now faster than. Every time i got a rythm going, i was held up by the others who were all swimming breaststroke. Could not get into a regular stroke or breathing pattern. Did pass people on 5 occasions but not good in a narrow lane.
Also managed to forget whether i had done 8 or 10 laps so erred on the side of caution and may have ended up swimming an extra 50m. Don't really know though!?!?!
The time also includes me stopping at the end of the swim to put on my socks and shoes prior to leaving the pool for the run to T1 which was a barefoot unfriendly tarmac jog. This does make my time look worse for the swim than it really was but makes my T1 time look better!
What would you do differently?:

Get in a faster group
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

I thought this went quite well but being my first time, i do not have experience to compare against

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 00m 15s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 14.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt 'full' for 2/3 of this ride like i had eaten too much pre race which made me feel uncomfortable. Started in light rain which was intermittent for the first 8 miles or so.
Had to get off and push my bike up the steep hil. Really not trained on anything like that before. Luckily it wasn't long as well so i lost a few minutes but nothing critical.
Noticed that when i got up out of the seat about half way round to push up a small incline, my calf felt like it was about to cramp. I sat down quickly and it went away. This is the longest distance i have ever biked, my previous best being only 10 miles and i did start to feel it but the last 5 miles was on excellent smooth tarmac and perhaps the wind was behind me because i felt a lot faster during this part.

Corner a lot faster, although the marshals were shouting us to slow down due to the roads being open to the public and the wet conditions.
Eat less pre-race. I felt heavy and sluggish
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

No need to change shoes as i dont have clip ins but rode the last 50m out of my cages and good dismount.
Run
  • 31m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

My pace felt slow from the start and it took me 1k to get into a rythm. 2nd went consistently but half way through 3rd my left calf was hit like a lightening bolt with cramp or whatever it is that keeps hitting my calf muscle and leaves me limping for days. I carried on limp/running in the hope it would go away and knowing that i wasn't far from the end. It felt bad for 200m but eased off and i finished off the run strongly. The calf muscle is back with a vengeance now and once again i am limping.
Quite happy with my pace as it is only 18 secs off my average training pace when i dont do a swim or bike before it. Big smile at the end!

Don't know what to do to counteract this calf problem but if i did, i would make sure i did it!
Post race
Warm down:

just limped about for a bit. Looked for the massage tent but was not there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Really professionally organised. Looking forward to the final results. People were still starting when i had finished so no chance of finding these results.

Last updated: 2012-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:57 | 400 meters | 03m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/444
Performance: Bad
Suit: N/A
Course: pool based
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:15 | 14.91 miles | 14.85 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: flat for 1.5 miles then STEEP hill. slightly undulating after this with more down hill than up but very light. Last 5 miles almost totally flat
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:40 | 03.11 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course run alongside a canal with an out/ back route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-22 8:41 AM

User image

England
Subject: David Llloyd Lincoln triathlon

2012-04-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4165206

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: David Llloyd Lincoln triathlon
Nice job! Sometimes those hills are horrible.
2012-04-22 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Awesome job, Allen! 
2012-04-22 12:15 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Excellent job on your first tri!!!!  A pool swim can be quite unpleasant when there are a lot of people crowding the lane.  I'm sure your time would have been a lot faster.  I'm so glad you had a great experience.  Congratulations triathlete!  Cool
2012-04-22 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Great report, all races are like that - never go according to plan!  You did well, got through it and you are now a triathlete - bring on the next one!  I've not done a pool triathlon - think I might like that!
2012-04-23 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4165914

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Awesome job Allen!  I'm so happy for you!

Everyone feels slow when they go from bike to run.  You were going 15 mph on the bike and you were going like 6 mph when running.  Of course you feel slow!  Doing bike-run brick workouts helps with this somewhat.

Great report!

2012-04-23 2:20 PM

User image

England

Just found out my final position now that the provisional results are available.

I came 423rd out of 444.

In my age group i came 45th out of 45Frown.

My original goal was to finish a triathlon. period. My hope was that i would not come last.

As i have moved along my journey, i have come to enjoy what i have chosen to do, even though i know that i am not naturally built for it. I have also raised my expectations due to my competitive gremlin sneaking out of it's box, and so whilst i am pleased that i completed my challenge, i was a bit disapointed to see my overall position and find that i was last in class.

I know that i have only been at this for 31/2 months and that i have already come a long way, but i am about to kick it up a level. I want you all to get behind me and push/encourage and generally nudge me further along this path that i have chosen. I don't have long before my next race and i am aiming to be further up the results page when i bring you my next race report.

Rant over and things now off my chest.

2012-04-26 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just read the report (I'm a little late to the party). Sounds like you did a great job, especially for your first time! That was a really good run time! I think most normal people feel like they could have trained more (and in my case, it's usually true!) but you went out there and got it done.  Although I must say, your description of the swim leg makes me a little anxious for my pool swim.  The good thing is, we are just swimming the legnth of each lane and when you run out of lanes, you know you are done! No extra 50m for me!

2012-04-26 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good job on your first tri! It's hard getting to the start line and you DID it!! I  tweaked my calf in my first one, too. Must just be an occupational hazard. :-)

You've got a base to build on now.Nice job Allen!

Lynn

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » David Llloyd Lincoln triathlon Rss Feed