Get Off the Couch, Potato Sports Productions LLC
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I just finished writing my race report and the content magically got erased, so here goes... again....

Woke up early - just after 3 - and drove up to SLO. I decided not to take the shuttle bus, and parked in a nice quiet neighborhood about halfway between the start and finish. I walked almost 2 miles through the dark streets of SLO to get to the start area. At 4:30 on Sunday morning, the streets were deserted, and it was actually quite peaceful and pleasant. Once I got there I still had an hour and a half to kill, so I just hung out, tried to stay warm, and read a book on my iPhone.
Event warmup:

After the long walk I decided I was warmed up, but let's face it, I never warm up anyway. I relaxed, read, waited until the last minute to drop off my sweats, and lined up at the start, positioning myself just behind the 2:00 pace group.
Run
  • 2h 03m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was to break 2 hours. For the first 2 miles, I ran a 9:00ish pace and felt great. By the 3rd mile I was starting to feel less great, but figured it was no big deal. There was a long hill at mile 4, and I got dropped by the pace group, ending up about 45 seconds behind them. I figured I would catch them on the 2nd half of the course, which had a lot more downhill.

Miles 5-9 had a lot of rolling hills. I tried to run fast on the downhills, but never really felt like I was moving very quickly. I could see the pace group ahead of me, but I never was able to catch up. By mile 9 I could tell my pace was slowing, and I was starting to tighten up a bit. Still, I thought I could reach my goal.

I hit mile 10 at 1:34:XX, and at that point I figured it wasn't happening. Still, I gave it a good effort - maybe a little too good, because by mile 11 I was really hurting and ready to be done. I thought I would still PR (my best half is 2:02:25) but even that was not to be.
What would you do differently?:

I may have gone out a little too hard to start with, but in the end I'm not sure it made much of a difference. If I had started slower, I still wouldn't have broken 2 hours. Today just wasn't the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some Jamba juice and tortilla chips, talked with some CCTC members who were racing or volunteering. By the time I picked up my drop bag I was freezing, so I put on my sweatshirt, took a quick cruise around the expo, and then hoofed it back to my car (a nice 2 mile cool down walk).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure. It was a decent run, but not a great one. I've been feeling off lately - struggling both physically and mentally. I guess I need to cut myself a little slack, and consider this a nice hard training run for Wildflower in 2 weeks, and of course IMCdA in 9 weeks.

Event comments:

Disclaimer - the leader of my club is the race director, so my review may be a bit biased, but this was a very well-run race, especially considering this was its first year. Everything seemed to go very smoothly, and the course was well-planned, well-marked, well-controlled, scenic and interesting. I'll definitely be back to run and/or volunteer at this race in the future.

Last updated: 2012-04-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:40 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Moderately hilly course starting at SLO High School, winding through the streets of downtown, followed by a long out and back, finishing in front of the Madonna Inn.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-22 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: SLO Half Marathon

2012-05-02 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4166295

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: SLO Half Marathon
It was a tough race with all the hills and I train on them all the time. Haven't posted my report yet. Funny how you can have almost 2 thousand bodies standing around and given your description of where you started, I was probably within 10 feet of you! I'm a CCTC member too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SLO Half Marathon Rss Feed