Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Mountain Equipment Co-op
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 23/109
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/64
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the race early, used the facilities, walked around a bit.
Event warmup:

About a 2k warm up run. Mostly slow, with a few fast strides thrown in.
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I had lined up at the start line a bit early, leaving a good chunk of room in front of me. I expected more people to fill it then did, so ended up further forward then I really should have. They were starting the 5k and 10k races at the same time, which is unusual, but it was a small race, so not too big a deal.

And, we were off! I started off at what felt like a fast pace, and let the people flow around me. Yep, I'd seeded myself a bit too far forward, but I find I often repass a lot of those people after the first kilometer, because they go out a bit too fast.

I had planned to pay very little attention to my garmin, and instead just run by feel. I was mostly successful in that endeavor, but at one point during the first kilometer, I looked down and saw a pace over 6:00/km. I actually think it was a fluke reading; possibly the trees messed with the satellite signal or something. I picked it up a bit when I saw it though. There was no way I was going to fail to run sub-30 overall.

The only hill, if you can call it that, in the race was the bridge over the river, and that was short lived enough that it was pretty insignificant. After that the race was pretty flat.

Km 1: 5:14

Truthfully, I was going faster then I really felt I could hold, but I wanted to push myself. I wanted to take a risk and see just how much I was capable of. I can often do more then I think I can.

The race was an out and back, so about 10 minutes in, the first guys started coming back. Wow, they were fast! Just flying.

Km 2: 5:18

By now, I no longer had the adrenaline from the starting line, so it was into the stage of holding on. And I did. I find it incredibly motivating watching the fastest runners coming back. It is very cool to see. But, they were all men.

Where were the women?

Finally, the first woman came back. I figured this was the beginning of seeing a stream of them, but as I got closer and closer to the turn around point, I still didn't see them. Finally, as I reached the water station and turn around, I saw the second and third women. They both stopped, and one of them laid down on the grass. And, I passed them.

And, for the first time ever, I was doing something I never really planned to do. I was racing against the field rather then just myself. I had actually slowed a bit prior to the turn around, but I picked the speed up again. Maybe, just maybe, I could hold on.

Km 3: 5:18

In picking up the speed though, I made a mistake. I was already running as hard as I thought I could hold, and going faster was not a good choice. I just could not hold on. I couldn't keep it up, and I let myself walk. I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I was pushing myself the hardest I ever had. On the other hand, really? Could I really not have just held on?

I only walked for about 10 seconds, but in that 10 seconds, I let a ponytail pass me. (The men didn't matter; there were plenty of them ahead of me already.)

I made my second mistake and I tried to hold on. She had paced herself better then I had though. She was definitely going to negative split this race. Always run your own race. A lesson that I apparently haven't quite learned.

I walked again, and got passed again, this time by blue coat girl. She wasn't going as fast though, so I decided to stay right behind her.

Kilometer 4 was my slowest overall, but had my fastest time outside of my finishing kick. I wonder how differently it would have been if I had just paced evenly?

Km 4: 5:33

I held onto blue coat girl. I figured I could let her pace me and then try to overtake her at the end, but then, she stopped to walk. And, I passed her back.

At that point, it was just a matter of holding on. Just one kilometer left right? 5 and a half minutes, max? You can do anything for 5 minutes?

I resisted the urge to take a short cut through a playground. It would have gotten me to the finish line faster, but probably wouldn't be considered terribly honest...

I'm often able to pick up the pace in the last kilometer, but this time, I was leaving everything out there on the course. I didn't have much extra left in me. I turned the final corner and kicked it into high gear. Almost there. I just had to hurt until I crossed that line.

Km 5: 5:24
Extra 0.06 km (as measured by my garmin): About 14 seconds*

*I actually forgot to stop my garmin when I crossed the finish line, but 27:01 was my gun time. In reality, I must have been a bit faster, since it took at least 5-10 seconds before I crossed the start line.

Total time: 27:10
What would you do differently?:

Keep running my own race even when it became a competition. Perhaps the time will come when I actually do try to compete against the field, but I am not there yet. I'm confident I was running at my maximum ability for the distance, and trying to go above that was too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and food. Cheered some friends in to the finish, then hung around to unsuccessfully win a door prize.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little bit of poor pacing. Overall very happy though.

Event comments:

I love that this race was done at such a reasonable price. Sure, there was no chip timing or tshirt, but for the price, I didn't expect it. Besides, a lot of race tshirts I get fit badly and just become bike rags.

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Good
Average heart rate: 171 (higher then I usually see as a max...)
Course: Along the bow river. Pretty much flat, although I suppose it was a bit of a false flat, going a tiny bit down on the way out and a tiny bit up on the way back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: MEC Calgary Bow River Run

2012-04-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4166974

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: MEC Calgary Bow River Run

Awesome job! Way to crush the 30:00 goal!

2012-04-23 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Sweet! I can only imagine your thoughts at the turn around. Being in a place you have never been before.
2012-04-23 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Overall I think those are some fairly consistent paces. Great job on crushing a new PR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MEC Calgary Bow River Run Rss Feed