United States
Multi Sports Fitness, LLC
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 44/87
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Event warmup:

Met up with "McQ" before the race and he gave me the run down on everything and put me in the best position for the swim. "McQ" was such a blessing in my first triathlon experience. From the many encouraging messages prior to race day, all the way to cheering me on at the finish line, this guy was the greatest! He definitely helped to ease the race morning butterflies. Thanks again brother! Not much warmup. Got in the water just long enough for them to call us back to start the race.
Swim
  • 14m 1s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim had three different wave starts, with each about three minutes apart. I was in the first wave, which started around 7:45. Thanks to comments from my fellow BT's, I went with a wet suit. Boy was I glad. The buoyancy provided by the wet suit provided a level of confidence that was greatly needed. The swim start was not as bad as I thought it would be. Having three waves helped lessen the amount of people in the water at one time. I was pleasantly surprised by how fast, or slow, people were going. I just knew I was going to get smoked on the swim, but much to my surprise, I was able to hang right in there with most folks in my wave with very little effort. Overall, the swim went well. My form was not great and my breathing was off, but I was pleased with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time in the open water swimming. Preparation for my next wet suit race will most definitely include more training in the wet suit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I fumbled a little bit in transition, but overall had a good experience. Almost forgot to put my helmet on before taking my bike off the rack.

Like everyone... practice more!
Bike
  • 1h 28m 18s
  • 14.4 miles
  • 9.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is where I got my butt handed to me! The course was really wet, which made me a little hesitant to gain too much speed. The brakes and I were really close friends on the bike. My technical skills on the bike arent't the greatest and it showed. I got passed... a LOT! Everybody was really cool though that passed me, and most were very patient at that. There were about three of us that hung together for must of the bike. It seemed like we all rode pretty close to the same pace throughout.

I must spend more time in the woods training. I felt like my endurance/ strength was okay, but my bike handling skills were lacking. I did run out of water with about 2 miles left on the bike. Don't think I filled up my camelbak completely the night before. That little extra would have been greatly welcomed! I also need to be a little more aggressive on the bike. Wet terrain may have played in to that a little.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was a quick transition for me. I fumbled the bike a little right before the transition area trying to say hey to my little boy who had just arrived to cheer on his daddy! Off with the helmet, camelbak, gloves and shoes... on with the trail shoes and race belt... and I was off.

Nothing really. Try not to fumble the bike when running.
Run
  • 43m 24s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was my strongest leg overall. I had started cramping with only about 2 miles left on the bike, and it continued throughout the run. I did manage to push through and post an average pace of 8:40 for the run leg.

Hydrate more on the bike in prep. for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much chugged a Gatorade not long after finishing. Tried to stretch a little, but was afraid I would cramp up if I did too much. Hung out to watch some of the finishers and ate a little post race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't have enough water on the bike. May could have gone faster on the run if I was properly hydrated. It's a learning process. I must get better on the bike!

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon, and it was a wonderful experience. I felt like the group did a good job of putting on the race and keeping things pretty well organized overall. I WILL be back for this one next year. Thanks Multisports Fitness, LLC!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:01 | 875 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 31/87
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Process
Course: 2-400 meter laps with a short turn around on the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:28:18 | 14.4 miles | 9.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 55/87
Performance: Average
Avg. HR= 166 Max HR=186
Wind: Little
Course: 2-7.2 mile loops
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:24 | 05 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 29/87
Performance: Good
Avg. HR= 173 Max HR= 180
Course: 2- 1.7 mile loops with run on asphalt before and after run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 2:18 PM

User image

Augusta, Georgia
Subject: XTERRA Hickory Knob Triathlon

2012-04-23 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4167724

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: XTERRA Hickory Knob Triathlon

Awesome Race Dawgchase and it was a good time hanging out.  Nice pics by the way.  Setting up the Georgia tent was a pretty cool deal, especially with all of your new 'friends' sharing a dry area to put on their wetsuits in the rain.  I've never seen so many Georgia bulldog fans from Clemson, NC, LSU, etc.

You smoked the swim, which seems like you've been swimming for a few years for that kind of speed and had a stout FIRST triathlon with a 2nd AG to boot!

Congrats - see ya at future races !

2012-04-24 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job! Thank you for sharing (I'm doing my first Xterra in Aug and am reading up what I can). Sounds like a great first race.
2012-04-24 3:39 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Congrats TRIATHLETE!  My 1st tri was an Xterra as well.  Good stuff! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Hickory Knob Triathlon Rss Feed