United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 17m 27s
Overall Rank = 6/1850
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/145
Pre-race routine:

Ran with K and Tom over to the start from the Nittany Lion Inn. Because it was such a late start, K and I had already walked downtown for breakfast (bagels) and split a grilled sticky bun.
We got there pretty early and hung out for a bit. Tom was pacing K for a PR attempt and I decided I was going to race it and see how it went.
Run
  • 17m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

There was no timing mat at the start, so (unfairly) everyone's time started a the gun. Therefore, I didn't blame everyone (regardless of speed) from lining up close to the front. I didn't want to get held up if I was racing though, so I worked my way into the front few rows.
Franco Harris was there to get the race started and off we went.

It started with the usual sprint off the line, but the group thinned by the first turn to the top 20 or so serious runners. The first mile was pretty drastically downhill, so I was able to put in a good pace and stay at the front without killing myself. I was going very hard, but not harder than I expected to be able to hold the whole race.

By the end of the first mile, I was sitting in ~8th, but no one had really formed a group. Everyone in front of me had a solid gap and was not coming back to me at the pace I was holding. I was really happy with the pace, but I knew that the entire back half was a solid headwind, so I had to find someone to draft by mile 2.

The turn was a solid climb. I don't usually run uphill particularly well, so I was even losing ground at that point. Luckily though, just as things were getting dire and I came into the windy section, I heard someone coming to pass. I knew that was my train and jumped right on.

We were able to reel in the next runner and for the next 3/4 mile, I sat in the pack and planned my move. I didn't like my chances in a finishing sprint and I was feeling ok, so I decided to see what they could do.

As we crossed the final intersection coming up on the stadium, I started to put in several attacks. The first one was able to drop one of the guys. The second or third attack finally dropped the original guy and I was free to make the turn alone.

The finish was amazing. You come off the street and through the same tunnel the players run out of on gameday. The stadium is silent and empty, but it's still amazing to run out onto the field and finish on the 50yd line! I had never been on the field before so having a PR, and getting to walk around the field was amazing!
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps stick with a few of the front runners earlier and hang ont he whole race, but I'm not sure that would have worked.

Post race
Warm down:

Panted for a while and then congratulated the other runners I ran with. It turns out one of them (and from my AG) had closed the gap and I only beat by .23seconds!

I cheered as K and Tom finished (a new awesome PR for her as well)!
We walked around and took pictures. I ran up the sideline into the endzone, and then we did a cooldown jog back to the hotel. We were going to stop at the creamery, but there was a huge line so we went after lunch instead.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Official results/clock time was 17:17, but I had the course measured at 3.08mi. so since this is my new PR, I am adjusting it for the distance.
https://www.parunners.com/2012%20RESULTS/BEAVER%20STADIUM%205K%20OVE...

Event comments:

Nothing fancy (chips, food, etc.) but a great cause and an amazing venue. Highly recommended.

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:27 | 03.11 miles | 05m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/145
Overall: 6/1850
Performance: Good
Course: More or less a big rectangle. First mile was downhill, Second mile uphill, 3rd mile mostly flat or slight down the whole way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes