Race Revolutions
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 48s
Overall Rank = 20/78
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Standard coffee and toast with nutella + banana. Drank plenty of water along the way, then had 1 gu 1 hour before race start, then another with about 30 minutes to go.
Event warmup:

Jogged around for a bit to see if I could run around in my flip flops, did some pushups to activate my upper body since I wasn't too keen on jumping in the green pond. After race briefing, did get a bit of swimming in before the tread-water start.
Swim
  • 14m 16s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This water looked pretty funky at the start.. there was a layer of green slime along the surface and plenty of trees in the filled pond right in the path of the swim. They claimed the water temp was 76-78.. no f'n way. I swam in a quarry that was 73 two days before and it was at least as cold as that. I guess that the swim was set up differently than last year as I thought with my time I was further back from the pack than I was. I did see a big pack hit the first turn buoy but after that everything spread out and I couldn't tell where I was in relation to everyone.
What would you do differently?:

Get up a bit further at the start, a lot of people started cheating up before the start, and I wonder if I would have been able to get in on a draft had I been up there with them. As it was, no drafting, but a nice steady pace.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

While I didn't use the traditional method of putting my shoes on the bike, I did try to put my gloves on while riding and it was bumpy enough to considerably slow me down as I started the bike. I was very happy with the no socks, no camelback speed of this T1.

Put gloves on in T1, I think any time gained from not putting them on in transition, I easily lost by not being able to hammer out the first relatively flat section.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 1s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 8.74 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I struggled in this race. During the pre-ride, I cleaned most of the early section of single track with hardly any dabs, although I did get the HR racing for a bit. I started out good enough, riding smooth and passing a few people and then I'm not sure where the wheels fell off for me. I might have redlined it a bit too much on one of the climbs and put myself in a bit of a haze.. but it was clear that I am not at the level to be able to ride a relatively unfamiliar bike on a course I've only ridden once at a high level.

Backed down a bit earlier on in the single track, geared it easier on a few of the climbs and not rush it. Because the swim was longer than last year I thought I was further behind, not first in my age group out of T1. I did the exposed rock sections pretty well, it was those areas where the rocks aren't quite visible that got the best of me. If I had taken it a bit easier there I might have been able to keep the rubber side down more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

With the rocky surface in transition, I didn't leave my shoes on the bike, I just unstrapped them before jumping off the bike. I did get my gloves off before I got to the dismount line.

nada
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3.42 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty strong run, not very technical, but it did have a tough climb in there towards the middle which also included the most single track. That mile was about 8:00. I had started closing in on the next closest guy in my age group, he was in my sight most of the race, but I was never able to close the gap after the jeep road climb.

Not let any other age group pass me, turns out one guy who had a 29 on his leg was in my AG. I did try to pass him with a strong kick at the end, but it would have been smarter to start that surge earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank plenty of water and walked around a bit

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knowing the course/terrain and comfort on the bike. This terrain had me off the bike far more than I have been in the past year, including the last time I rode at the 'shed. If I had even done a modest 1 hour on the bike I would have been top 10 overall and podium for my AG.. I gave up 15 minutes to the fastest guys on the bike, and that was just too much to overcome.

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:16 | 875 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 14/78
Performance: Good
Finished the first lap at right around 6 minutes and change
Suit:
Course: A quick two turn triangle starting from the stock pond pier. A quick run from shore back to the dock and do a second lap.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:01 | 9.32 miles | 8.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 30/78
Performance: Below average
164 HR average for the bike segment
Wind:
Course: 1 lap doing the "race loop" in reverse with one small section added in. The Super D section was added, but we had to climb it and then come down the fire road to where the race loop connected back to the main gate and back down to the stock pond.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 03.42 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 11/78
Average I've got now is 172, but I didn't stop the watch until about 1 or 2 minutes after I had finished.
Course: Start out the same as the bike course, when crossing the fence, go down the hill and take a sharp left on the red trail. Take that to the first intersection and take a sharp left again to head back to the brutal jeep road climb. From there it is a gradual ascent down to the stock pond and around to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: XTERRA Reveille Peak

2012-04-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4168223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: XTERRA Reveille Peak
Nice Job! Thanks for sharing!
2012-04-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4168223

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: XTERRA Reveille Peak

Great job.  That bike course is tough!  Having mtb'ed @ reveille before I can only image how spent one would be on the run. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Reveille Peak Rss Feed