World Triathlon Corporation
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 02m 5s
Overall Rank = 1090/1200
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:30a.m after not sleeping all night worried all night about racing injured. Forgot to bring my melatonin. Been a while since I raced so I forgot a lot of little things I used to do when racing more regularly. Ate a GF bagel with PB and had coffee. Then made my way to the course. Luckily they allowed us to take our bike race morning since the weather was so bad they were actually worried about bikes blowing away.
Event warmup:

Just set up everything and tried to stay in the car to stay warm and out of the 25 mile and hour winds gusts.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

So this ended up being a 2 mile run in lieu of the swim, and after running and seeing first hand the waves in Lake I was never so relieved. A lot of people were pissed but I gotta tell you I would have drowned in those waves - literally, and I am a good swimmer! LOL
What would you do differently?:

Since I was already racing with a hurt foot the additional 2 miles of running was not the best scenario for me but I worked it out. My plan was to go my usual pace for the first 2 miles and then alternate running and walking on the 13.1 run. Good plan!
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Again, out of racing for the past two years I forgot some stuff at transition. I left my sunglasses on my towel, which was a bad call with the wind (and flying bugs).

Practice before the race till I am raacing on a regular basis again
Bike
  • 3h 26m 58s
  • 52 miles
  • 15.07 mile/hr
Comments:

One of the things that drives me crazy about this sport is the people who act like they are elite athletes cause they have a cool tri bike or are overly competitive age groupers. At one point I was making a sharp turn and some Chrissy Wellington wanna be started screaming at me go-go-go-go-go c'mon. Seriously? is the 3 seconds you lost in that turn waiting for me gonna make that big of a difference? And did you not notice the other bikers and their scraped appendages sitting to the right of that turn that took it too hard and fast and crashed? Uhg! For the most part everyone in this sport is supportive of everyone else, but people like her give triathletes a bad name. IMO

Nothing, even in the wind I set a PR for my bike split - I know not a big deal for most but I was very proud considering the conditions. I do think it may be time for a tri bike tho'
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

I'm not gonna lie, this bike killed my legs, I was really worried about the run, my legs were never that wobbly off the bike before.
Run
  • 3h 08m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

So I went into this race injured, knowing I would be walking a good portion of it with my doctors blessing, so really just enjoyed the race course, the other athletes and the amazing NOLA peeps who rocked the aid stations, perhaps some of the best I have experienced and they were just as excited and energetic with those of us bringing up the rear and never ran out of stuff -which so often happens to us BOP'ers. I slowly ran the first 5-6 and then alternated run 10 min walk 5 for the rest of the course -it worked out well and my foot held up. My worst pain ended up being my sunburn! haha

Nothing, considering my injury
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked to get my bike and dropped it it off and drove back to the hotel

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather and my foot injury

Event comments:

Overall I think considering the situation the race director hndled everything reasonablly well. A lot of people were complaining but I think there was not much they could do, the weather was crap and people would have been at risk in that water. People's frustrations were getting the best of them and it seemed like they were taking it out on the race folks, but it's not like they could change the weather and it sounds like they have a game plan for next year as far as the swim goes (moving location to a protected waterway). I heard they are going to offer a discount for people to return who did this years race. I for one would be willing to give it another go. I enjoyed the city, the support and the course overall and really at the end of the day isn't that what racing should be about? It is for me...

Last updated: 2012-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:58 | 52 miles | 15.07 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: I thought the course was great, but the wind was STUPID! at some points I felt like I wasn't moving at all! The first stretch (10 miles) was brutal people were passing me like crazy and I just kept thinking I wish I had a tri bike or aero bars. I had them on my road bike for IMFL a few years ago but didn't put them back on for this race -bad call. I managed but it was hard. On the top of some of the bridges I was almost in tears the headwinds were so strong. A ton of people crashed from the gusts I saw a lot of road rash along the run.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:08:37 | 13.1 miles | 14m 24s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flat for the most part a few hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-24 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2012-04-24 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4170044

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
Nice job! congrats on the bike PR. 
I hadn't done enough run training, so wish I had done a run/walk plan for the 2nd run.  You were smart.  
2012-04-24 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Great race! Congrats on the bike PR! Those winds were brutal! I was riding a disc in the back and when I got to the top of the bridges I thought I was going to get blown over. A lot of people were wrecked after the bike. My best friend was at the dismount line and saw several crashes at the line. Sorry about the elitist girl yelling at you on the bike, that is so uncalled for! The volunteers are the run aid stations were great, they put a smile on my face at every mile.
2012-04-24 6:40 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Great race! Nice PR on the bike in less than stellar conditions. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed