General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM and I am unprepared for the run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-24 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York
Subject: First HIM and I am unprepared for the run

I had suffered a plantar fasciitis last October that prevented me from doing any running. I took 5 months off to allow for it to heal. When I returned to running in March I still didn’t feel quite right and decided to give it a little more time. As a result, I really haven’t got back to running with any consistency until this month. My mileage and effort have been very conservative as I am trying to avoid another injury. 

I have kept up with my bike and swim training all throughout the winter and spring. (My logs are up to date) I am not worried about the bike and swim at all. It’s the run that I am afraid of. 

The HIM that I am doing is scheduled for June 30th. As of now my plan is to start the race and somehow muddle through the run portion using a combination of walk and slow jog. The only goal that I have is to finish without seriously injuring myself. Obviously this is not ideal and not the way I planned it but I really don’t want to withdraw from the race at this point. 

I humbly ask, Is finishing my first HIM still doable or is it just a bad idea to even try at this point? If finishing can still be salvaged what would be your advice on how I could best prepare myself for the run in the 10 weeks that I have remaining? 

I have been following the Barry P plan since I started back with the goal of building volume but this program of 3 shorts runs, 2 mediums and 1 long, is meant to be a slow steady build. In my case, I don’t have a long period of time to get to the desired weekly mileage needed to be optimally prepared. Should I just continue on this path of building slow volume and hope for the best? Withdraw from the race and try again when I have more prep time? If I should stick it out is there a better way to prep for the run with the little time I have remaining? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

2012-04-24 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4170605

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First HIM and I am unprepared for the run

I think you still have enough time to prepare.  How about using the very conservative Hal Higdon Novice half marathon plan? It's 12 weeks long and is meant for the very new runner, so with your experience and having gotten back into it gradually, it might match up.  

http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

If it were me, I'd skip the strength sessions on the plan and replace those and the cross-train with your bike and run.

Be prepared to take it easy and do some walking on race day (through aid stations at least), so that you can finish in one piece.  I have faith.

2012-04-24 4:26 PM

User image

Out of 6 HIMs I think I've gone into 2 "adequately prepared" for the run.   You've got 10 weeks, that is plenty of time, especially with BarryP consistency. You don't really need that long of a "long run" to go into a HIM and do OK.  No, you on't crush it.  But you'll finish

2012-04-24 5:47 PM

User image

Pro
2012-04-24 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Houston

I just did a HIM in just under 8. 

I walked more than half the run and I had run 2 Half Mary's about a month before the race.

Walking won't kill you, just your time.

You can do it.

2012-04-24 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Just for gosh sake don't push too hard/far too fast and re-energize your PF. A HIM is a lot of stress on the body, I don't care what anyone says. Running a HM on 56 mile bike legs isn't easy, and if you're not mostly prepared from training, you can easily injure yourself. Just be careful. Come back from injury slooooooooow or you'll quickly be right back where you were 5 months ago.

2012-04-24 6:23 PM

Expert
Do what ever it takes to avoid re-injury, this is just one race. Having said that, I bet you will do great!
2012-04-24 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida

Seems like plenty of time to me...

Are you taping your foot still ?

2012-04-24 6:34 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I read your post and, although I'm not a coach, I think you aren't giving yourself credit for where you are what you may be capable of. It is pretty common to have a gulf between what we'd like our preparation to be and what it actually is.

If you look at a big race like an Ironman or 70.3 with 2500 people standing on the beach I'd wager at least 2200 of them will tell you they "aren't ready".

You bring what you have to the race and do your best. What you have is likely better than most Sir.

That said I don't think you should ever "push" an injury. The fact that you took a second layoff after your foot didn;t feel right speaks to your athletic maturity. Good for you.

Lastly, consider the interesting case of Joan Benoit Samuelsen:

Samuelsen won the first ever Olympic Women's Marathon in a time of 2:24:52 in 1984 in Los Angeles. She injured her knee on a 20 mile training run and had to undergo arthroscopic knee surgery only 17 days before the Olympic trials. She still qualified then went on to win the Gold in LA.

Anything is Possible.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2012-04-24 6:34 PM
2012-04-24 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My sympathies in regards to PF- it can be awful. If you have not tried KT Tape, I highly recommend it.
http://www.kttape.com/instructions/plantar-fasciitis/

Ten weeks is plenty of time- especially if you just want to finish. Check the race cut-off times and estimate your splits on the other two disciplines. That will help you determine roughly how much time you have on the run. (You can do a run/walk at a 3:1 interval that will give you an 10-11 minute mile.) Train according to those time goals. I would recommend writing a race plan if you don't already do so. It will help you to remember what you need to do on race day, and keep you from getting too frustrated.

Good luck!

Edited by JoyfullySo 2012-04-24 7:45 PM
2012-04-25 5:03 AM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York
Thanks everyone. The encouraging words are exactly what I needed to hear. I set out for my run this morning with new enthusiasm. I am just going to do my best to prepare and when race day comes I am simply going to be in the moment. 

2012-04-25 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4171285

Veteran
Vicksburg
If you follow Barry P's plan to June 30 you will be more prepared for the run than % 70 of the people in the race.  (No facts just my guess
2012-04-25 8:20 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Sounds like you're doing the right thing taking it nice and easy. The walk/run is a good plan. If your PF is holding up at the end of the race, you can always pick up the pace.
2012-04-25 11:03 AM

User image

New user
Having just got over PF...finally, its a really horrible injury because you don't know if its healed or still hurt.  You might feel fine and try to run and bamm it hurts again and sets you back.   You are sort of like me now, 19 weeks from my first IM, coming back to the run.  Ran 3 yesterday with no pain all healed, finally, but I'm being very careful about stretching, warming up, cooling down, avoiding walking bare foot, setup for massages.  It is way better to be under preparred then injuried before your race.  Personally, I would not run more then 6-8 miles in training.  Then at the race, go a little easier on the bike to save as much run legs as you can.  Do the walk run method at the race, but break up even more...1 mile run, 1 mile walk, until you get to mile 10, then run the last 3.  If planned right, you should feel like you could have ran more, if planned wrong...your walking and/or limping or a DNF.  Personally, I think if you run the last few miles you will feel like you had a good race vs walking to the finish.  GL
2012-04-25 12:02 PM

User image

I think if your foot is feeling ok now, then you have time. I just completed my first HIM and like many did not feel adequately trained for the run. I injured my Achilles in December during a marathon. I injured it pretty bad. I didn't get to start running again till mid February. I was still able to run the first 10 miles of the run before walking. Most important though is I finished injury free. What are you doing to treat the PF? I ask because I dealt with it bad during marathon training. If you don't have good inserts in your shoes now to support your arches, I would get them ASAP. I would also sleep in a Strausberg (sp?) sock. Another thing that might help your run during the race is the fact that your running after a few hours on the bike. This means your foot is nice and warm. I know mine would quit hurting when warmed up.

Edited by dkbikes4life 2012-04-25 12:05 PM
2012-04-26 12:02 AM

User image

I am running with a tape for prevention, I have found it very useful. Read the article in the following link - http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/96375/duct_tape_cured_my_plantar_fasciitis.html?cat=50  -I loved it. I also had a tendency to blame my running as the only cause to my plantar fasciitis but I found that standing long periods of time on my feet has stronger effect on my PF.

There are a few Taping techniques you can find in this Plantar fasciitis taping webpage.

Take care & Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM and I am unprepared for the run Rss Feed