General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-25 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Sick training advice

I am now less than 18 weeks out from IronMan Louisville which is my "A" race this year.  In addition I have a half marathon that is also a close 2nd to IM regarding importance.  I am using the BT 20 Week IM Training plan that and have imported that plan into my logs which are up to date.

Training is going well even though the first couple of weeks I knew I would be a little run heavy and I missed a couple of bikes in the first couple of weeks to run instead.  I feel like I can catch up on the bike and missing 2 hours of saddle time in the first two weeks is not ideal but would not kill me.

So on Saturday I wake up a little congested and head out for my planned 8 mile run.  It's raining and pretty miserable and as the run goes on I find it more and more difficult to breath and function.  Later that day I have a fever and it feels like there is a small person standing on my chest.  Chalked it up as being a little sick from running in the cold rain and went to bed early.  OK, this is getting to long...

I am still sick and can't shake this cold.  Have not worked out since Saturday and now not only am I thinking my planned race this Saturday is in jeopardy I am getting concerned about falling behind in IM training.  Do I just continue to rest and hope to get better?  How much trouble am I in if I basically miss an entire week of training?  Assuming that I am ready to get going again by Sunday I don't think it's likely that I will be 100%, how screwed does that make me?

Obviously I am hitting the panic button because I did not factor into my training plan taking off a full week to recover from the flu.  In addition I am figuring on at least 2 more weeks of less than 100% effort while I continue to get better.  

2012-04-25 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4171367

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Sick training advice
I'm in a simlilar situation, although I'm 7 1/2 weeks out from my first HIM. I've been on the shelf for the past week with zero workouts of any kind due to an awful sinus/ear/respitory infection. I posted a similar comment to my mentor's group, and the universal reply was "Rest, get well, then get back at it -- Don't push it while sick, you'll only make your self sicker, or prolong recovery from it". When you are better, get back to training, and you'll be fine, so I've been told. I'm a little panicky here since I've missed some significant training time during the build phase. But, there is nothing I can do about it but get better then head back out and train as best I can.
2012-04-25 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4171378

User image

Payson, AZ

Mike_D - 2012-04-25 4:55 AM I'm in a simlilar situation, although I'm 7 1/2 weeks out from my first HIM. I've been on the shelf for the past week with zero workouts of any kind due to an awful sinus/ear/respitory infection. I posted a similar comment to my mentor's group, and the universal reply was "Rest, get well, then get back at it -- Don't push it while sick, you'll only make your self sicker, or prolong recovery from it". When you are better, get back to training, and you'll be fine, so I've been told. I'm a little panicky here since I've missed some significant training time during the build phase. But, there is nothing I can do about it but get better then head back out and train as best I can.

Your mentor group is smart. 

2012-04-25 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the reply's.  I am still freaking out but at least I am not alone.
2012-04-25 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville

Its not going to set you back to much. Illnesses happen. All you can really do is put your effort into getting better and then getting back to work.

Jay

2012-04-25 2:16 PM

New user
, Massachusetts
I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. I took a week off (which kinda sucked as I was making nice gains at that point) and have almost made it back to where I was. I took the first week back easy and have really ramped up the training this week. In all, it will take me 2 weeks to make up for the lost time but in the end it doesn't matter much. I'm currently on week 8 of my 20 week Ironman plan.

2012-04-25 2:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick training advice Rss Feed