General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ready to give up thoughts of doing my first Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-25 8:37 AM

Subject: Ready to give up thoughts of doing my first Tri

Started training for my first tri back in November, now I am ready to give it up do to hip pain!!!  He is my story, always been into fitness, mostly weight lifting, crossfit, martial arts, running a couple times a week.  2 years ago right hip started hurting while in Afghanistan, came home, went to the Ortho, he said I have hip bursitis and that I needed to strengthen my hips, lots of leg raised, and I did, pain went away. 

Fast forward to January 2012, pain in both hips but mostly still in the right hip, only thing new to my normal exercise obsessed world was swimming.  I was already to going to PT for some neck issues from martial arts, PT said to strengthen glutes and core.  I have hammered both 3-4 times a week, exercises for glute me, Psoas, TFL, tons of planks, one legged squats, step ups, monster side steps with bands, cable 4 way hip exercises, foam rolling, lacross ball rolling, and stretching.  Core is the strongest it has ever been........... still have pain.  I go to the Chiro about once a week.

The real hard part is that I have been saving for a nice road bike since November and I am almost there with enough money, but I am so frustrated, I am ready to give this up and blow my savings on something else.  If I do, I will probably never have the opportunity to by a nice bike again.

Should I take a pause from Tri training and keep working strength for my hips or just give up the idea of training for a tri.  I hate to spend $3k on a road bike and find out my body was just not made for this hobby.

Thoughts??  Thanks

2012-04-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4171612

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Ready to give up thoughts of doing my first Tri
Have you told the people working with you what your new goals are regarding the tri? Or perhaps find a therapist familiar with the sport or who does it too? I wouldn't give up just yet, there maybe a solution.
2012-04-25 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
be patient! Keep tri'ing. I've had severe setbacks with running from the start, over six years ago. I'm now confident I conquered ITB, only to discover my body isn't as young as it used to be and I couldn't get into swim shape in 3 months. So I slowed down. I won't be in competition for age group medals but you know what, if I keep at it next year I might...

If you truly have a love for sport I believe these people to be the friendliest, most helpful bunch in all of sports. everyone here at BT goes out of their way to help us newbies. My first race has been a long time coming, this is the 4th year in fact but I am confident I will finish at least one sprint this year and I know that it will only get better...

One thing that really helped me slow down and not focus on the win but the completion was I went to Beads of Courage and bought a bead from the Team Beads of Courage to sponsor someone. Compared to my little setbacks, those kids deal with so much more and it has really kept my training in perspective.

Lastly, you can tie up a lot of money in Tris, you sound pretty certain you will like it but maybe you should buy an cheaper (used?) road bike till you do your first race. I did, and will hopefully get a tri bike next year or the year after. In the meantime I really love my road bike, it loves to go fast.

I hope something I've said here makes sense as a newbie to a newbie. Maybe the veterans will come up with something more sage... In any case good luck.
2012-04-25 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
ndame88 - 2012-04-25 8:37 AM

Started training for my first tri back in November, now I am ready to give it up do to hip pain!!!  He is my story, always been into fitness, mostly weight lifting, crossfit, martial arts, running a couple times a week.  2 years ago right hip started hurting while in Afghanistan, came home, went to the Ortho, he said I have hip bursitis and that I needed to strengthen my hips, lots of leg raised, and I did, pain went away. 

Fast forward to January 2012, pain in both hips but mostly still in the right hip, only thing new to my normal exercise obsessed world was swimming.  I was already to going to PT for some neck issues from martial arts, PT said to strengthen glutes and core.  I have hammered both 3-4 times a week, exercises for glute me, Psoas, TFL, tons of planks, one legged squats, step ups, monster side steps with bands, cable 4 way hip exercises, foam rolling, lacross ball rolling, and stretching.  Core is the strongest it has ever been........... still have pain.  I go to the Chiro about once a week.

The real hard part is that I have been saving for a nice road bike since November and I am almost there with enough money, but I am so frustrated, I am ready to give this up and blow my savings on something else.  If I do, I will probably never have the opportunity to by a nice bike again.

Should I take a pause from Tri training and keep working strength for my hips or just give up the idea of training for a tri.  I hate to spend $3k on a road bike and find out my body was just not made for this hobby.

Thoughts??  Thanks

What kind of swim stroke do you use? Breast Stoke?  Also, is the pain even there when cycling?  Have you checked to see if you have any significant difference in leg length?  Orthotics/inserts

2012-04-25 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
How long have you been working on all the core/PT stuff?  And could the problem be due to adding mileage/swim time too quickly?  Even the 10% is too much for some.  For someone who has a decent cardio base, it's very easy to ask too much of the rest of your body because you don't have that natural "I'm going to die if I don't stop now" control.  Also, some of us have to build more slowly than even the 10% rule.  Don't give up, just listen to your body.  Do what you can with little or no pain, increase with tiny increments.  And You can probably get by with a much more affordable road bike.  I'm doing an IM on a $1000 bike...remember - they used to do it on the old steel frames.
2012-04-25 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Don't rule out diet!  Bursitis is inflammation, and you might do well on a non-inflammatory diet such as Paleo.  Many people who suffer from bursitis or arthritis have had good results.  Try it for a good three months - you don't have anything to lose.  Save that bike money!!

2012-04-25 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Don't forget the hip flexors in your exercises.... if the glutes get too strong and the hip flexors don't get stronger with them, it can cause pain.
Do lots of leg lifts and flutter kicks. When swimming, kick from the hips.

Beyond that, consider getting re-checked by your Doc to make sure you aren't dealing with septic bursitis.
Perhaps take a week or two off from anything that works the joint in a way that causes pain?
2012-04-25 1:06 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I will admit, that I am not as sore as I was back in January, but the pain is still there, mostly in TFL and glute med, especially if I sit for a long time, I know that the hip gets tight and possibly shorter if you sit all day at a desk, which I do, I try to stand and stretch throughout the day.

I will try to answer some of the questions:

1.  Chiro and PT both know I have been training, PT has done a couple of sprints in the past.  From the PT I got the "glutes not firing", worked on running form, bought new running shoes.

2.  Swim stroke is all free style, making sure  I kick to from the hips, none of the S/B/R hurt while doing it, the next day though, I am sore

3.  As far as diet goes, I drank the cool aid on Paleo a year ago and with the execption of Friday Family Pizza night and a few beers, I dont eat processed grains or food, mostly nuts, eggs, meat, fruit and Vegs, 3/4 - 1 gallon of water a day, drives my wife crazy.  The only other diet issues are I drink about 3 diet Sierra Mists a day and I eat salted peanutes in the shell every night as a little snack. 

4.  My core workout looks like this sets sets each all in a circuit- glute/ham developer, plank for a minute with feet on ab ball with additional weight on the small of my back, then hanging straight leg raises and bent knee when I can no longer do straight, then pike ups, and a twisting exercise like side to side with med ball or land mines.

I go back to the ortho on 1 May, so I guess we will see, my guess is he will tell me to go back to PT in which I will tell him that I am a PTs dream patient, I have done everything to the T if not more they I was told to do.

2012-04-25 1:12 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I, too, wouldn't give up just yet. Thanks for the detailed info already provided. Couple more questions about the following:

he said I have hip bursitis and that I needed to strengthen my hips, lots of leg raised, and I did, pain went away. Fast forward to January 2012, pain in both hips but mostly still in the right hip, only thing new to my normal exercise obsessed world was swimming.

So when your ortho diagnosed hip bursitis, you continued to do everything you were doing BUT ALSO added leg raises. Correct?

Then you continued on, but not adding any new exercises or more training volume or intensity or taking the leg raises away ... at what point (weeks) in "Fast Forward" did pain BEGIN to happen? Or did it just come on suddenly again in both hips, more in the right?

2012-04-25 1:26 PM

After my inital visit to the ortho Dec 2010, I did side leg raises for about 2 months and the pain went away, so I pretty much stopped doing them after that, but continued squatting and doing lunges as part of my normal strength exercise workout. Ran 2-3 times a week all summer, no problems, decided to start training for tris in Nov, switched running shoes from VVFs to Nike Free 3.0s, started swimming mostly just drills and learning form and then it got worse over a two week period in mid January. No real increase in running MPW or distance in the pool.  I know my glutes are generally tight, but hamstrings and hips are pretty flexible. 

Even bought Ben Greenfields "Run without pain" did it for 6 weeks, no real improvement

Edited by ndame88 2012-04-25 1:28 PM
2012-04-25 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Maybe side planks and side planks w/ leg lifts, as well as something I've never seen anyone else do, but I swear is a great exercise for entire back half including my glutes meds:  Basically a reverse plank with my feet on a fitball, upper half with my hands on the edge of a bench.  Also, gentle stretching of the glutes, if you don't currently.

2012-04-25 3:13 PM

User image

Pro

your body wasn't made for this hobby.

You have to make your body do it.

2 years ago I had two doctors tell me that I'd never run again unless I got surgery on my hips.  I BQed in January. 

Get that bike of your dreams.  do the side leg lifts and cross training.  change your stride to 180bpm and get your feet under you.  keep at it.  find a way to overcome every injury.  you CAN do this if you want to.  Oh- get rid of the speed work and run easy.  speed is brutal on the body. 

2012-04-25 3:20 PM

Master
, California

Do lots of leg lifts and flutter kicks. When swimming, kick from the hips.

This is good for hip flexor strength, but can also aggravate hip bursitis.  I'd try mixing up the sets you are doing.  Normal freestyle for a couple sets.  Then a few with a pull buoy instead.  Alternate back and forth that way to allow your hip some rest breaks.

I'd also cut out any kickboard work until you're feeling better.

I'm not a doctor but I've had that problem before.

Edited by spudone 2012-04-25 3:20 PM
2012-04-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4173022

Spudone,

Thats funny you said no kickboard, I discussed my issue with a USAT coach I met a couple of weeks ago, he told me to do more kickboard sets. By no means am I saying either of you are right or wrong, please dont take it that way.

Edited by ndame88 2012-04-25 4:12 PM
2012-04-25 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4173168

Master
, California
ndame88 - 2012-04-25 2:11 PM

Spudone,

Thats funny you said no kickboard, I discussed my issue with a USAT coach I met a couple of weeks ago, he told me to do more kickboard sets. By no means am I saying either of you are right or wrong, please dont take it that way.

My opinion only: it depends on where your injury is -- a physical therapist could probably guide you.  A bursitis is an inflammation.  If you don't let it calm down first, then you can continue to aggravate it.  I'm not saying to permanently cut out those sets, but just be careful to listen to your body.

2012-04-25 5:51 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

Did you have any diagnostic imaging done or was the DX of bursitis simply made based on symptoms alone?

Maybe it is time for an MRI?

To rule out something like a torn labrum or femoral acetabular impingement or such?

I have struggled with chronic knee pain for 2 1/2 years that leaves me unable to do many things, including even basic stuff like climbing stairs,let alone  running. I know how frustrating chronic long term pain is.    

Best of luck to you.........I hope you get it resolved in a timely fashion.

2012-04-25 8:53 PM

Thanks Aquagirl, I have only had an xray and that was in Dec 2010 at my ortho appointment, I go back to the ortho on the 1st, will see if he will send me for an MRI.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ready to give up thoughts of doing my first Tri Rss Feed