General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What have you sacrificed to complete an IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-07-11 9:35 AM
in reply to: #478568

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: What have you sacrificed to complete an IM?

Blueraider_Mike - 2006-07-11 8:07 AM Here are my two cents; The money was an issue for me because I took my wife and two kids and made a vacation out of IM week - which was the most expensive we ever took. A lot of my sacrifice was mental, which left me not the same guy when I wasn't training. I really believe the average person trains too much and too long for an IM. You don't need 6 months of training. It isn't neccessary. IM is an aerobic event that is more mental than physical - just my opinion. I think if you can rise early in the morning you can get a lot of your training done before the kids get up. Even on my longest rides, I would start at 5:30AM and be done 11:30AM on a Saturday. Then you have the rest of the day with your family. Runs, you don't need any run longer than 2.5 hours. Again, start at 5AM, done at 7:30AM. Maybe you lose a little sleep, then again, go to bed a little earlier.

Great advice... Posts like yours make me feel like it's all possible again. Yes it takes time, money and discipline, but it doesn't have to become a full-time job (while you have a full time job)! It's all about consistency, quality when you are training, and yes, the mental battles (most of mine are about getting my butt OUT of bed in the morning for that consistent, quality training session....)!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What have you sacrificed to complete an IM? Rss Feed  

of 2