General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie "plus size Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-25 1:48 PM

Subject: Newbie "plus size

Hi! I am a new "triathlete" who will be participating in her first triathlon in the beginning of August.... I am wondering about what to wear...I am not getting a wetsuit, but I am wondering about some suggestions for bathing suits and what to where and when.. Along with being "plus size" I also have the added pleasure of being a DDD. Anyone have suggestions on sports bras to run in and bathing suits to swim in? Also, what do you wear during each part of the triathlon or is it best to wear a tri top and bottom throughout the whole thing? 

Thanks,

I am so excited and any side notes or tips you ladies can share will be greatly appreciated!

2012-04-25 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4172677

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: RE: Newbie "plus size
I'm a guy so I can't answer your questions, But I did want to welcome you!  Welcome here, and good luck in your first race!!!
2012-04-25 2:12 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi yodachick81, and welcome!

Bathing suits are best suited (ha, suited!) for training while a tri top and bottoms (worn from start to finish) are preferable for racing.

Before I became a little less of an Athena (but I'm still there), I bought a swim suit from Land's End, one of their 'fitness' suits.  Not the most hydrodynamic material to be sure, but it served the purpose just fine.

Sports bras: I would recommend Enell (haven't used them personally but have heard many good things from others on this site and elsewhere) or check out Title Nine's site. They rate their bras by dumbells; the more dumbells, the more support. They have a huge selection.  I think there may be a similar thread going in Athena & Clydesdale section if you look for it.  It shouldn't be farther away than the second page if it isn't on the first.

Best of luck to you, and remember to have fun!

Edited to add that I found the other thread, lower on this page.  Check it out for even more ideas: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=422498&posts=13&start=1

Edited by melbo55 2012-04-25 2:14 PM
2012-04-26 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

Welcome!  I am using a 1 piece tri suit.  2 reasons for this: 

1) padding for the bike portion.  For the sprints is has just the right amount for me.  As I progress to an Oly, I will more likely transition into my regular bike shorts.  

2)  I am hour glass shaped.  I have tried the 2 piece tri shorts and top option, but the "girls" on top won't allow my tri top to sit on my hips right, and I do not want to spend the race with it riding up.  

A regular bathing suit is fine, but I would think about how you want to go into T1.  Some people don't mind changing after being wet, personal preference, so that might make a difference. 

Good Luck!!! 

2012-04-26 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

For race day, I wear a tri top (with a Moving Comfort Fiona bra underneath) and tri shorts (commando of course Laughing) and don't bother changing in the transitions.  I occasionally trained in this stuff in the pool too, to get used to it and work out any chafing spots etc.

I've been a real supporter of Zoot for my tri tops, shorts, and wetsuit becasue (bless them) they make tri clothing for us larger women (e.g., 42-45" bust).  I've also discovered that Louis Garneau and Tyr have clothing up to 42" bust, and I've recently become a great fan of the Tyr Competitor tri shorts as I've picked up some pairs at great clearance prices ($35-40) and they seem to be holding up well with my weekly training/washing routine.

Good luck for your race in August, and have fun with your training Smile 

2012-04-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4175037

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
wartho - 2012-04-26 1:41 PM

For race day, I wear a tri top (with a Moving Comfort Fiona bra underneath) and tri shorts (commando of course Laughing

I couldn't be happier with my Moving Comfort Fiona Bra!  

2012-04-30 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)

Another vote for the Moving Comfort bras - I wear the Juno style.  

I have it in 3 colors - I like it that much.   I even wear it on race day under a tri top (SLS3) and dries out fairly well on race day.   I like the SLS3 tops, they are longer and my belly doesn't hang out.  They also have a longer 8" inseam tri short.

2012-05-01 10:06 AM

User image

I wear an Athleta top and a running bra underdeath.  Prob. not the best for speed in the water but I felt very comfortable.  Read the reviews for all the tri and running tops on the Athleta site.  They are a bit pricy but good quality.  I bought my tri bottoms from skirt sports, the 8 inch ones, pricy as well but should last a good while.
2012-05-09 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Moving Comfort Fiona is a definite for me.  CW-X sports bras are great too.  I wear a fast drying CW-X bra under a rash guard top for the swim and then change into a dri-fit top and I wear danskin tri shorts. 
2012-05-09 2:26 PM

User image

I haven't done my 1st sprint tri yet ( upcoming in the next 4 weeks), but I have been training in tri clothes. My favs are the men's triathlon shorts from aerotech designs -- love the drawstring, without it my shorts fall down when running. I got a tri top from Scudo -- one of the few manufacturers that made it big enough. I have to use a couple of safety pins to pin the bottom of the top to the shorts when running so it doesn't ride up. I've also been using Enell bras. They really eliminate bounce. I have a moving comfort but it binds me under the arm when I get the correct band size. As far as pool swim training I am wearing a swimsuit from woman within -- just a basic one piece.Look around there is good stuff out there. Have fun and good luck in the tri!
2012-06-02 5:29 PM

New user

Carlsbad, CA

I just got the DeSoto tri-capri's in an XL. They are so comfortable and flattering. They have a wide waistband that you can either leave as is or roll it over. I prefer to leave it as is to cover up the belly . And it doesn't look like I have sausage legs either.

I also got some Zoot tri-shorts, they are alright, but I get that sausage leg look. Still they are comfy and will be great during the hot races/training.

2012-06-11 9:28 PM

I will throw in another vote for the Moving Comfort Fiona bra.  I wear a DD and I have worn it under my tri suit without any chafing and it dried out quickly.  I worn a one piece tri suit in my first race but also have tri shorts & top that I have trained in.  Either would work great for a race.  You don't want to have to change clothes anywhere if you can help it.  Good luck on your first race and welcome to the group!  = )
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie "plus size Rss Feed