General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lottery spot or guaranteed entry? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-25 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Lottery spot or guaranteed entry?
Just curious what your take is.  Let me preface this by saying I hold absolutely nothing against lottery winners and think it's a great thing that people can possibly participate in an event that they very well may never be able to get into without the lottery system.  With that said, it's not for me.  Personally, my mindset is if I cannot qualify then I'm ok with accepting I'll never race that event.  

2012-04-25 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4173568

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: Lottery spot or guaranteed entry?
I will take Kona any way I can.   But I know my chances of getting there are much higher by qualifying rather than winning the lottery.   Just got to get this run thingy tamed.   Age, occasionally, though not often, is an advantage. 
2012-04-25 9:07 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
What do you think of the new Legacy program?  Essentially, if you complete 12 Ironman brand 140.6 mile races (with a few other minor requirements) then you will be granted entry to Kona.  Personally, I give props to WTC for looking out for those who show their dedication to the brand.
2012-04-25 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4173580

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

japarker24 - 2012-04-25 8:07 PM What do you think of the new Legacy program?  Essentially, if you complete 12 Ironman brand 140.6 mile races (with a few other minor requirements) then you will be granted entry to Kona.  Personally, I give props to WTC for looking out for those who show their dedication to the brand.

I think it's great but again, not for me.  I guess in a masochistic sort of way, I want to earn it and if I can't then so be it.  I'll die happy knowing I tried my hardest in order to do so.

2012-04-25 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Yep, you're not alone. I've heard that sentiment many, many times here. It's a personal choice. If you don't want in, that's OK.

I personally want to do Kona. I'll keep trying and hope to get in as a Legacy someday if I don't get in through the lottery. I'll be 1/6th of the way this year

2012-04-25 9:16 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Is it your intention to qualify for Kona, then? Just curious what your take is.

I would very much like to go to Kona, and by any means possible. I'm not 100% sure I'm willing (or able, not physically, but in terms of how my life has always unfolded) to do what it takes to qualify. Let's give it 90% sure at this point.

There's also the Legacy program.

There's now also the Kona Inspired program, if I ever reside in the U.S. again.

There are also the charity slots available by auction.

There are also "celebrity" or "media" spots.

I'm equally okay with any of the above.

2012-04-25 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4173597

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
TriAya - 2012-04-25 8:16 PM

I would very much like to go to Kona, and by any means possible. I'm not 100% sure I'm willing (or able, not physically, but in terms of how my life has always unfolded) to do what it takes to qualify. Let's give it 90% sure at this point.

It is very much on my list of events to participate in some day, no matter how long it takes

And as I said, I have zero issue with anyone participating through any of the other entries.  I'm not trying to take some elitist attitude, not my style.  I'm just curious how many others share the same view.

I very much wish you lived stateside Yanti so we could get you in via the inspire slot.  You freaking deserve it!

Edited by thebigb 2012-04-25 9:20 PM
2012-04-25 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4173602

User image

Melon Presser
thebigb - 2012-04-26 10:19 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-25 8:16 PM

It is very much on my list of events to participate in some day, no matter how long it takes

And as I said, I have zero issue with anyone participating through any of the other entries.  I'm not trying to take some elitist attitude, not my style.  I'm just curious how many others share the same view.

I very much wish you lived stateside Yanti so we could get you in via the inspire slot.  You freaking deserve it!

No, I really, really don't. I'm not being falsely humble (believe me, I'm not, falsely or otherwise). It's just my philosophy that I live on grace. The fact that I just get to breathe and live and move is a gift; what I do with that is a choice, and I get to enjoy those things for their own sake and whatever they may bear.

I'm also equally okay with never going.

I've made a lot of my big dreams (and things I never thought to dream) come true.

I have a lot of big dreams still to do and still to dream, and I've learned that those take a helluva lot of hard work and sacrifices over a long period, and that I really can only work on one at a time. I might never quite get around to the Kona dream, unless I simply live long enough to qualify and still be able to confirm (every BOP and MOPer's Kona plan!).

All that padooky said, you are some sweetheart prime piglet beef boy and I will thoroughly delight in your path to the Ironman World Championships (the hard way ).

2012-04-26 3:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Valencia, Califonia
I think half of the fun of entering the Lottery is to have that "Possible" dream for several months until April 15th at 12:00 EST !!

I too would love to qualify. and not saying that it Isn't possible, but at 6'4" and 210 it just isn't a reality for me. I enter the lottery every year at the same time, make hotel reservations with the dream of getting in, and then cancel the hotel on April 16th and wait for the next year.

However, I got in this year by lottery ! (And already have my hotel reservation made last year). I was shocked that I got in but then for some reason wasn't too.

I don't think the lottery is as impossible as it seems. I had no idea how many people entered it but this year I read a blurb by then that said over 7000 people enter the lottery which was less than what I expected. With the legacy program, it took a lot of people out of the normal lottery (There are a LOT of people that have done 12). So the entry number went down for the normal lottery. Then they gave people like me an entry for every year that I have tried back to 2002 I think is what they said due to the fact that thats all the records they have. So maybe I got 10 entries?? I don't know what the exact odds are but it is better than me ever qualifying.

I did like what they did this year to try and get some long time triathletes into the event. I have known people in the past (One here in BT) that got an entry and just decided not to do it because of expense or time.

I am in touch with 2 of the other 3 people in BT that got lottery slots and both have done several events just like I have.

And once you get a lottery slot there is no more (That alone will save me $90 a year, LOL.)

Now my dream has turned into months of preparing for the event rather than waiting for the lottery!!

I will say that once the event is over my dream will probably be to live long enough to qualify at a much older age. I just need to stay healthy and live that long!

So after having done 4 Ironman branded Full's, 4 Ironman branded Half's and many other non Ironman branded events, I feel good about going to Kona. It will make it much more fun having done that distance several times before as opposed to having never done one before.

Dale

2012-04-26 4:16 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

If you would only want to get in by qualifying, and not the lottery, would you accept a roll down spot?  What if you only missed it by 1 spot, and it rolled down 1?  What if you "qualified" via the roll down that happened at Eagleman a year or 2 ago in M35-39 (or it may have been M40-44?) where almost everyone had left, and they offered it to anyone who was still there in the AG?

Just curious.

2012-04-26 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

For me, the only "problem" I have is with charity spots.  I have noting against charities mind you, and I fully support those who raise money for them... I simply will never do it.

I guess this comes from my background as a long time marathoner before I started doing tri.  For many of us mortal marathon runners, Boston is the goal.  I could run Boston anytime I wanted, so long as I raised enough money... I won't do that.  I will only run Boston when i qualify for entry.

Now for other races, like NYC marathon or the subject race Kona.  I feel like they have a long time established lottery system in place simply because the demand outweighs the availability.  That being the case, I would enter the lottery if I desired to do the race and would think twice about it.

2012-04-26 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
If you're selected in the lottery aren't you guaranteed entry?
2012-04-26 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

I would like to race Kona once before I hang it up.

I do not think I will ever qualify, so I will happily take a lottery spot. I still want to race for a few more years, so when the time comes then I will put in for the lottery. 

Edited by Nipper 2012-04-26 9:10 AM
2012-04-26 12:55 PM

User image

Still don't get why anyone would care why someone else got an entry to a made up world championship run by a private corporation.  It's not the olympics, WTC can let in whomever they please.

And yes, I realize that Kona is "special."  but for 90% plus of people (made up) it's just to experience it, not to try to race it and get on the podium.

And for the record, I would go in a fat second, whether qualified, roll down, charity, lottery, or sponsor slot.

Edited by ChrisM 2012-04-26 12:56 PM
2012-04-26 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4174923

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
ChrisM - 2012-04-26 11:55 AM

Still don't get why anyone would care why someone else got an entry to a made up world championship run by a private corporation.  It's not the olympics, WTC can let in whomever they please.

And yes, I realize that Kona is "special."  but for 90% plus of people (made up) it's just to experience it, not to try to race it and get on the podium.

And for the record, I would go in a fat second, whether qualified, roll down, charity, lottery, or sponsor slot.

Trust this isn't directed at me since I've stated numerous times that I have no problem with how you get in.

2012-04-26 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4174927

User image

thebigb - 2012-04-26 10:58 AM
ChrisM - 2012-04-26 11:55 AM

Trust this isn't directed at me since I've stated numerous times that I have no problem with how you get in.

It's directed at whoever feels like they need to answer    

2012-04-26 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

I feel like I will be able to qualify for Kona, and that is a goal of mine within the next few years. As for other lotteries, I just got into the NYC marathon via the lottery. I could have qualified with their old time goals (2:55 marathon, 1:23 half), but their new qualifying times (2:45 and 1:19) are harder, but maybe attainable in a year or two with more run volume.

I also just ran Boston for a charity, raising a little over $6000 in the process. I missed qualifying for Boston by 34 seconds in my first marathon in September, and felt that I might as well raise some money for a good cause rather than waiting another year.

2012-04-26 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Founders of Kona made sure that the every day man or women could participate when they sold it to WTC. It is part of the core beliefs.

Only about 150 folks applied under the legacy program and 100 got slots so that did not reduce the general lottery really that many.

I know folks that have tried 10+ times to get in through lottery and no slot and others who have entered 1 time and gotten in. One friend has gotten in twice in last 4 years thru lottery.

I personally have zero desire to go to Kona. I don't like racing in heat or humidity and with 5 kids to expensive trip.

I am a big fan of dreaming big and following that dream. It if is Kona go for it.

As Chris said it really isn't the World Championship just because WTC says it is. 

To OP why did you bring it up if it doesn't bother you folks are getting in via lottery and you wouldn't want to do it that way only by qualifying.

Kona slots are getting harder and harder to get as the number of IM races go up the slots per race go down which means some outlier AG get 1 slot and many only get 2. Even big AG like Men 40-44 will have their slot allocation drop signficantly. You need to be both very talented, uninjured and lucky that other faster people don't show up and race. In most all women's AG it is easier to podium than it is to get a Kona Slot. I think for us average folks, chances of going to Kona via qualification are very very slim. I've been here on BT for a long time going on 8 years. Fast folks are fast in their first IM and often qualify in their first or second IM. Those that are close and work really hard over years to qualify are becoming rare. Every year more folks come into triathlons and do IM. Many AG the qualifying time is getting faster and faster.

2012-04-26 1:17 PM

User image

Wichita

I know I don't have the time to dedicate to be able to qualify for an endurance race.  I am in the NYC marathon via American Cancer Society and realize it was the only way for me to ever do it.  But when people say "oh you qualified for NYC, congrats!"  I make damn sure they know how I got in.  Don't want any misconception that I am actually fast.  Cool

I think the only way I will ever do Kona is the same.  I may try the lottery at some point but I'm a couple years away from an IM anyway and wouldn't want to rush due to getting drawn before I was ready.  If I never do it that is ok too.

2012-04-26 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4174960

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
KathyG - 2012-04-26 12:17 PM
To OP why did you bring it up if it doesn't bother you folks are getting in via lottery and you wouldn't want to do it that way only by qualifying.

'Cause it's been a while since we had this thread topic come up, Kathy.
2012-04-26 1:39 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Well, I got in via lottery and had one of the best days ever. It was so fun I can't even begin to describe it. Without the lottery I would have never known how great it is. Now I want to go back. Bad! But I have had my lottery experience. If I go back it will be as a qualifier. Not because I look down on the lottery, but because I don't want to take up a slot for someone else who has never been there. However you get there, it is an amazing experience. Anyone who looks down on me for not qualifying can kiss my "I've done the IMWC" behind. And no, this is not directed at anyone specifically.

If I never qualify to go back I will still go back as a volunteer just to experience a truly incredible event. If anyone has any question about how gratifying volunteering at Kona can be, look up Axteraa's thread (with pictures) about volunteering at Kona.

ps, if it matters to anyone, I am thinking about taking a non-qualifier slot at Boston next year. I know I can qualify for Boston but I don't see a time where a qualifying marathon is going to fit into my schedule. After this year, that race and I have unfinished business......

2012-04-26 2:03 PM

User image

Pro

I couldn't really afford it with everything else going on right now and it doesn't carry any increased importance in my mind other than the World Championship label. (which is also truly watered down in triathlon except for ITU events) Right now it would be unduly selfish for me to spend the money on that race. I may feel different down the road, but I doubt it. 

Watching the race from Kona on TV in 1985 is what got me started in Triathlon...but it could have been on the moon for all I cared.  I was fascinated by the distance, not the place.  I still feel that way. So my answer to the OP would be that I couldn't give a rip who goes to Kona.

2012-04-26 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4174960

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
KathyG - 2012-04-26 12:17 PM

Honestly, just pure curiosity is all and the recent talk about NY lottery made me wonder.  I'll be in NY this year cheering on several friends that got in from lottery spots.  Heck, I think I'm more excited for them than I would be If I were actually fast enough to qualify myself.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lottery spot or guaranteed entry? Rss Feed