General Discussion Race Reports! » Pine Barrens Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pine Barrens Sprint Distance Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shamong, New Jersey
United States
Pine Barrens Sports And Timing
Total Time = 1h 55m 32s
Overall Rank = 30/155
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Met up with Michelle, Joanna, Kurt and Colleen from Team TRIumph (that I'm going to join, promise) super early and left for the race. Ate 2 granola bars and drank a bottle of Gatorade. Got to the race and met Egent and John, Matt and Isabele showed up which was awesome. We got there even before the park opened and no one was there, not even the race director or crew. A few minutes later they showed and things got set up. Racked on the outside and helped Michelle set up her first transition right next to mine. I got hungry again and John had a bagel in his car he gave me.
Event warmup:

Went back and forth with myself as to whether or not I was going to wear my wetsuit. I decided not to. Went down to the lake and got in. It wasn't too bad, I was the only one not wearing a wetsuit. Swam out a couple of buoys and back. Stood around in the water and shivered while we were waiting for the waves to be announced.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Yea, I don't think so. I don't pace 1:15 per 100 in a meter pool and swim almost 2 min/100 meters open water. Not to sound like my s**t don't stink but I have a strong swimming background and this just wasn't right. I have had my fair share of open water swims so it's not like it being open water had anything to do with it. What DID have to do with this swim was the fact that it was definitely way too long. The original lay out of the buoys was at least 700-800 meters one way and we had to go out and back. We got word to "ignore the last 2 buoys" from the RD. Um, ok? I guess someone went out and moved back the last 2 buoys, I really don't know. All I know is that it was still too long. I positioned myself in the middle sorta towards the front. The guys in front of me took off and I couldn't catch them but I still managed to be 8th out. I think if I wore my wetsuit I would have been faster and warmer but the cold didn't really bother me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think my actual swim was decent and I still kept my streak alive of not being out of the top 10 overall for the swim leg. Maybe I wold hve positioned myself a bit better. Oh, wear my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was impossible to time this. There was no chip timing and the only place I was anyone taking splits was coming out of trnsition. In that case I thing the swim time as well as the bike time also have transition times added in, which leaves the split times for this race deceiving.

Pracice this more and lern hw to jump on my bike with the shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 47s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.94 mile/hr
Comments:

No matter whic way you went it seemed like there was a headwind, even coming the opposite way on the loop. Starting out I felt OK but soon my hip flexors were screaming at me. It took a while to find a gear that was comfortable while still feeling fast, later on I fell into a rhythm and was able to push hard. Again, I believe this bike time also includes transition time from bike to run.

Spin a little more in the small ring before switching into the big jawn.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Rolled up my socks pre-race so I could just roll them on. The worked Ok I guess but I really need a set of Yanks or Speedlaces. Tying shoes is for the birds.
Run
  • 31m 50s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The race description said that there was some sand and pine needles. Pre-reace the RD said that there is about 4 tenths of a mile that is deep sand. SUUUURE. More like 90% of the run is deep sand. The entire path was also like an Iraqi airstrip with craters every few feet from ATVs riding around. I hated this run. However I did better than I thought I had. I wnted to pace 7:30/mile and felt like I was nowhere near that but I guess I wasn't far off. Had this been rod I think I could have done what I wanted. I had no way of feeling how well I was running, there were too many time I lost footing or almost rolled over my ankle because of the sand/tire tracks.

Not run this course.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the crew and watched Michelle finish her first tri!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pre-race nutrition, the run.

Event comments:

This gets a # because it was Michelle's first. It was very unorganized and the lack of chip timing grinds my gears. I probably won't do this race again but it was more like a fitness gague more than anything. I did have a great time though. I ended up 3rd in my age group but we didn't stay for the awards. We went and chowed down on pancakes instead, which was more fun.

Last updated: 2006-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 805 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 8/155
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:47 | 24 miles | 20.94 mile/hr
Overall: 34/155
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: 24 mile loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:50 | 04 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 51/155
Performance: Good
Course: Windy course through a park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-24 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Subject: Pine Barrens Sprint Distance Triathlon

2006-05-25 9:23 AM
in reply to: #433479

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Pine Barrens Sprint Distance Triathlon

steve great race report, you covered everything...the run was bad i know what you mean...and your overall ranking was great...i'm so glad we got to do this race together...

and again CONGRATS on placing 3rd in your age group!!!!!

and yeah it was fun after the race and pigging out...hope all is good with you!!

2006-05-25 9:26 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I've heard about that run at the Pine Barrens--sounds like fun.

Great race though, especially that swim.  I ought to hit you up for some help there.

2006-05-25 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Sounds like some rough conditions, but you did really good despite them. Congratulations on placing third in an obviously competitive age group.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pine Barrens Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed