Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 5h 50m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The swim was cancelled a few days before the race and it was just a bike/run. Weather was forecasted to be pretty awful.
Event warmup:

Stayed at Laura's parent's house. So nice of them and WAY better than a hotel.

Up a little after 4 for coffee. Ate a bagel with PB in the car on the drive to the HS where we were picking up the shuttle for T2.
Chilly and spitting rain in the AM when we got up and none of us were really jazzed about the day ahead.
I started feeling nauseous and stomach was really unsettled and churny on the drive to the HS. The bus ride to T2 didn't help any and I really thought I was going to puke. Hit the port-o-potty several times and found a bag to sit on since everything was wet. I knew it wasn't nerves...I've never felt this awful before a race. I would have eaten more had I not felt like it would have come right back up. It wasn't nerves - was definitely something else.

We hung around waiting for people to go off with the TT start and before you knew it, Laura and I, who were on the same rack, were up.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 34m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.68 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was wet and in some places, it was not in good condition. The beginning of the bike course was very crowded and I actually had to unclip to go around the turn around point. It was hard to settle into a comfortable pace on this course. At any hill, my stomach would just churn and ache. It made it hard to have any effort. Tried to continue to eat and drink on the bike, but I probably had 500 calories of food (between GU and Chomps) and 100 calories of liquid (1/2 bottle GU20 and some water).

Due to road conditions from the weather, they changed the bike course to 55 miles, but it ended up being 53+.

What would you do differently?:

I had no control over it, but my body/stomach wasn't cooperating for the pre-race and ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

COLD feet. Took a while to get all of the layers off from the bike. Hit the port-o-potty on the way out and it felt like I was running on cinder blocks.
Run
  • 2h 12m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was challenging with the rolling hills. Stomach felt good to start, awful for a few miles, and then great for the last 6 miles.

Post race
Warm down:

Once I stopped running, I was immediately freezing. Craig rode to get our morning clothes from the bag drop at the HS. Had some post race food, warmed up and waited for the awards since Laura placed. Started raining and got on the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really disappointed the stomach didn't cooperate, but I did the best I could with the hand I was dealt.

Event comments:

I understand this was the first year for this race, but I probably won't do it again. The bike course was awful, unsafe and not the correct mileage. The run course was misrepresnted as how it was described (way hiller than it said) and it measured long. Once you finished, your clothes were a 1/2 mile back at the HS.
I had higher expectations for a WTC event.

Last updated: 2011-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
No swim.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:34:19 | 56 miles | 15.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/
Overall: 1064/
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Point to point. Course was challening and technical. And unsafe at times.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:34 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/
Overall: 944/
Performance: Average
9:08 9:30 9:23 9:58 10:17 11:33 11:52 10:07 9:36 10:17 9:56 9:27 8:50 Last .34: 2:35
Course: Out and back ending in downtown Stroudsburg.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?