United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 24s
Overall Rank = 232/1850
Age Group = F 30-39
Age Group Rank = 6/209
Pre-race routine:

Brad and I had a good, but tough ride the day before the 5k. The late start time meant we could sleep in and not have an alarm. We grabbed breakfast downtown before relaxing at the hotel.
Event warmup:

Race started at 11:15 am and Tom met me and Brad at the Nittany Lion Inn around 10:30 to warm up to the race site. Ran there plus a loop around stadium and then got in the crowd at the start line to stay warm. Plan was for Tom to pace me with me trying to break 25 minutes.
Run
  • 23m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Tom started running 7:15s and I was behind him by a few feet. There is a nice downhill and I knew it was OK to run a little faster than I wanted at that time. At one point early on, I told him we were running too fast at 7:15s. Made the turn and had no issues with the small rollers. Felt good when we hit the first mile, but I was afraid I'd blow up. Right turn meant an uphill and I tried to keep a steady pace. When we turned back onto Curtin and had a headwind, I tucked behind Tom and just stared at his legs moving to keep myself going. Lungs felt like the limiters over my legs. Started out chilly wearing capris, a long sleeved shirt and the FeXY singlet. Early in the race I was warm, but don't think I'd wear anything more or less.
Tom was a perfect pacer and didn't make me talk, but offered encouragement now and then. With the stadium in sight, we picked the pace up a bit. Turned left to run into the tunnel. I remembered to look around and take it in. I even said to Tom once we came out of the tunnel onto the field how fucking awesome it was. Finish line was on the 50 yard line.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I wanted to break 25 minutes and did so by 1:36.
This is also a 5k pr by over 2 minutes. Really happy with how the race went.
Post race
Warm down:

We took some pictures on the field and around the stadium and ran a cool down back to the Nittany Lion Inn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Perfect race for me

Event comments:

Fun race that I'd do again. Weather is always a crap shoot, but it was for a great cause and ended in the stadium. What could be better? The roads weren't closed which sounded like more of an issue for Brad and the lead guys. It was a nice touch to have Franco Harris and Sue Paterno at the start line too.

Last updated: 2012-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:24 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/209
Overall: 232/1850
Performance: Good
7:29 7:49 7:27
Course: Course started on Curtin Road between the stadium and the Brice Jordan Center. Ran down University, first right then straight through campus. Right at the end of the street and then right again at the Nittany Lion shrine back on Curtain. Race ended by running through the Beaver Stadium tunnel the players use and onto the stadium field on the 50 yard line. Fucking awesome!
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?