4 Peaks Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 37s
Overall Rank = 17/304
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/30
Pre-race routine:

No need to wake up early or do anything special, I just needed to get up, have my coffee and go through my normal morning routine.
Event warmup:

Got checked in around 7:30 and headed back to my car to drop off my gear. headed back to the start and did some stretching. With a tri on the schedule next weekend, I wanted to run a good race but not injure myself.
Run
  • 22m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew this would be a small race, but had no idea what kind of runners would show up. This was the first year that the Mi Nana's Salsa Challenge added a 5K. Going into the race, I hadn't done much speedwork. My endurance is where it should be, but I didn't feel like I was it top 5K shape and really didn't think I had a shot to PR. I never looked at my Garmin during the run, but it didn't feel fast. I was gasping for air and even felt a side stich about 2.25 miles in.
Overall, it was a good run, but I'm capable of much more had I put in some speedwork. Let's call this a speedwork training session for next week's tri. A little disappointed to have 3 or 4 people pass my in the last 1/2 mile (an 11 yr old smoked by me and some guy past me right before the finish), but I still felt I finished strong.

I represent Cazadores Tequila - which is the official tequila of the event. I convinced my boss that this would be good brand promotion if I ran in a Cazadores Tequila shirt. My company paid my entry and I had several people come up to me afterwards and start talking about tequila. I guess it worked!
What would you do differently?:

More speedwork, naybe a little better hydration prior.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, a banana, and a Cazadores margarita! It was cold,but probably not the best post-run beverage - so I didn't drink all of it.

Took a photo with some other folks from work (also wearing Cazadores t-shirts) and then headed home to pick up the family and return to Salsa Challenge.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just me

Event comments:

Nice addition to this event. Free and early admission to Salsa Challenge with your race bib.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:37 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/30
Overall: 17/304
Performance: Bad
Course: West on the southbank of Tempe Town Lake from Tempe Beach Park, across the footbridge, down the north side to Rural, across the bridge and head back to Tempe Beach. Finish line was just under the Mill Ave Bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-28 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: Too Hot To Trot

2012-04-28 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4178638

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Too Hot To Trot
PR or not, that was a great race!!  Super pace, some good PR for work, and a speedy training run.  5th overall in the AG is nothing to be down about, either.    You are truly a runner now, and competing with runners who don't spend as much time away to swim and bike.  You'll put everything together and have a great race next weekend at Marquee!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Too Hot To Trot Rss Feed