Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon
46F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 49m 17s
Overall Rank = 109/2218
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/122
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Had a bagel with peanut butter on it and some coffee. Checked the weather and it was only sprinkling a little by then. Wind was 20mph and temp was 44! Hopped in the vehicle with my sister and her boyfriend and drove over to race site. She works in a building next to the race start so we went in there and stayed warm and stretched out.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little bit here and there. Mainly just tried to stay loose since it was so ugly and cold out. Got to watch all the marathon runners go first. Was pretty cool to see thousands of people take off.
Run
  • 49m 17s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall I was pretty happy with my run. This was my first run race ever and to do as well as I did I was stoked! I took other peoples advice and just ran my normal pace to start with and a lot of people started out like bats from hell. After 3/4 of a mile they started to fade and I was passing a lot of people. That was fun. Believe I was only passed by 3 people after that. Felt like I could have been somewhat faster but, didn't end up having anyone relatively close to me so I could chase them down the last quarter mile. Sprinted the last 100 yards and finished over the 50 yard line in memorial stadium. That was cool being a big Illini fan.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Run a little harder I think but, for only running for two months and finishing 13 in my ag and 109/2200 people I think that I kicked some butt!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and did some stretching. Had to wait 2.5 hours too see my sister and her bf finish their first marathons. Was very happy for them!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No one close enough in front to chase down at the end.

Event comments:

Had a blast and if I have time for it next year I'll be doing the half marathon!

Last updated: 2012-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:17 | 06.2 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/122
Overall: 109/2218
Performance: Good
Course: Nice and flat course. A lot of people were talking about armory hill and dreading it. That's not a hill where I come from. More like a knoll haha.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes