General Discussion Race Reports! » Ohio University Athletes in Action Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ohio University Athletes in Action Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Athens, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 24s
Overall Rank = 23/131
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Checked in and picked up my timing chip, set up in my designated bike rack.
Breakfast was just a cup of coffee about 90 minutes before the race.
Wore warm clothes over my tri gear to the race, and put it all in a locker at the Aquatics Center about 45 minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was surprised to learn I was so slow on this swim. I felt strong and had thought I had rocked the hell outta it.... I reckon not, but I'm pleased with the effort.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder, get my swim fitness further along.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

No flying mounts this time. Put my shoes on in transition.
It was cold as hell and was about an 1/8th mile run to transition from the pool area... took my time and was deliberate. Took the extra time to put on a windbreaker..... was still a n00b and left through the wrong exit even after making a point several times to make note of which one I was to go out, lol! Thankfully, that was my one and only n00b mistake of the day, so it's progress :)

*Finally* get the right exit down, but other than that, perhaps just move a little quicker... but with the temps I'm kinda Ok with the really slow time here.
Bike
  • 52m 4s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Got onto the bike well once I left transition, put full-finger gloves on while I rode. It was hailing for the first 3-4 miles. The hills were brutal. I used every last gear I had and could have used several more.... if I do this race again, I *WILL* have an 11-28 cassette as I could have really used it. I rocked on the few flats the course had, and I smoked the downhills... the uphills and my still developing bike fitness is what killed me, though.

Ride harder on the uphills, train more, use a better cassette for those kinds of hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Slow and cold... took time to be kinda deliberate with my movements.
Took off the wind breaker, glasses and gloves; was a little slow moving removing the bike shoes and my heels got a little caught up slipping on the run shoes... not bad, but enough to cost a couple of seconds. Left transition through the correct exit on the first try, lol!

Not much of anything, perhaps try to move a little faster.
At some point I'll start practicing the flying mounts/dismounts and I can start saving some time there.
Run
  • 24m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition and settled in behind someone ahead of me for the first half mile until my legs started to feel normal, then I started to open it up a little. A kid for one of the relay teams blew past me on the way to his 15:00 5k time, lol.... other than that, I was only passed twice, and the 2nd time was with about 1/4 mile left. I picked it up a bit at that point to stick with the guy and we both made the turn to the finish together which then turned into an all-out 1-v-1 deathmatch sprint to the finish over the last 150-200 yards, lol! It was a heckuva finish even though he nudged me out by like half a second.... a lot of fun and a bunch of high fives at the finish line. I was exhausted and felt great!

More run training, more intervals.... gotta get my speed back.
Still, I finished 3 full minutes faster than my first race just two weeks earlier... so, I gotta love that!
Post race
Warm down:

Lotta walking around, drank a LOT of water and had a banana.
Went and put on the warmer clothes I left in the locker ASAP, including my new compression socks, which are the greatest things ever made... my calves feel great today!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The infancy stages of my conditioning and fitness levels is holding me back... Gotta get faster on the swim, gotta get better with hills on the bike as well as accustomed to being in the saddle longer, and I need to continue to regain my speed on the run.. won't be happy with that until I get back under 20:00, at a minimum.

Event comments:

This was a phenomenally organized event! I was really quite impressed all around with everything about it. I will DEFINITELY be doing a lot more HFP races.

Last updated: 2012-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 547 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 34/131
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts & tri top
Course: Serpentine pool swim, 50m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:04 | 15.53 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 30/131
Wind: Some
Course: An out and back loop with some seriously painful hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:07 | 03.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 63/131
Course: Mostly flat, couple of switch backs with small uphills, but still mostly flat-ish.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Ohio University Athletes in Action Triathlon

2012-04-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4179716

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Ohio University Athletes in Action Triathlon

Congratulations, Sneaky Gregg!

Super job on all three legs ... that is smokin' speedy for a hilly bike, as well as run, and overall, especially needing to put warmer clothes on. BRRRRRR ...

Fantastic PR, especially since this was definitely a harder course.

2012-05-04 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4179716

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Ohio University Athletes in Action Triathlon
great race greg! Awesome pace all the way through and great way to pull through when it got tough.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ohio University Athletes in Action Triathlon Rss Feed