General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 19s
Overall Rank = 19/153
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:10, got things together, then got the boys and loaded them up while Becky got Emma. Out the door a little after 6:30 which was the plan and a nice easy drive to the race. Got racked and port-a-pottied and then milled about trying to make sure I didn't forget anything. Ate a banana and a Luna bar and had some accelerade and then chowed down a GU roctane before the race (those things are nasty...I'm going back to regular GU- I got these Roctanes as part of a multipack and they taste gross!). Of course I realized right before the swim start that my timing chip was not on right so I ran up the hill to get it sorted out.
Event warmup:

Swam a little - maybe 50m out and back just to get used to the water. It actually felt good and I don't think it was the 62 that they said- I think more like 70. Was not shocking at all to get in.
Swim
  • 12m 20s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

REsults are up but the category results don't have the relative rankings. Actually the new FS system doesnt seem to have the rankings for the various parts at all. Not sure why not but it would be sad if those weren't included anymore because it is fun to see how you stack up relatively. Fastest swim in my age group! :-)

Anyway, had a good swim but seemed to pull left a lot so swam further than I prob should have. My right goggle filled with water but I just ignored that this time and it worked OK. Surprised that my time was the same as last year because I have been swimming better this year. I kinda think the course was a touch longer than last year because several people who did it last year versus this had slower times. Doesnt mean anything but it makes you wonder.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter. Time was 10s slower than last year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

OK I guess. I don't like that run up from the lake after the swim...pretty nasty after swimming but I jogged along OK. I could NOT get my wetsuit off, but that is pretty normal for me. I wasted a little time with my garmin...should just leave it at home for these short races. Oh, and when I put my helmet on I realized that I had adjusted it for Ryan so it was tiny and wouldnt fit on my head! That will teach me to now test everything the day before (was too busy yesterday so I didn't do a dry run).

Hurry along. don't sync up the garmin.
Bike
  • 29m 37s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 21.27 mile/hr
Comments:

About 30s slower than last year and I think that reflects my lack of riding before this. I was happy with the effort on this- didn't slack off and pushed pretty hard on a tough little course. I thought I might miraculously have a faster ride but I guess you have to train more for that. I only got passed by one guy and I passed a bunch of people who seeded themselves higher on the swim (and maybe were faster swimmers but slower cyclists). I don't like how in a TT start you really have NO idea where you are relative to your age group. 2nd fastest swim in AG.

It was a good ride actually. Just need to train more. I am still chicken on the turns so slowed down for those- there were quite a few 90 degree turns that slowed me down quite a bit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Good transition until I realized I racked my bike in the wrong row! So that cost me a little time. Without it this would have been a blazing transition.

Pay attention!
Run
  • 21m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Picked up about 30s on last year. I messed around with the garmin again at the start...shouldnt have done that because it wasted a little time. Started quicker than last year (7:23 for the first mile) and then picked it up. This was a good tri run for me- pushed hard at the end to catch a guy, but then got passed by a college kid. I didn't let him go easy though so we had a nice race at the end. 2nd fastest run in AG (second to Steve Lewis from Wilmington...he beat me by a bit on the run and the bike).

Pretty solid run. Wouldn't do anything different on the day except the Garmin thing. Train more to get faster...but that is a different issue.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished. Bent over double and then had two little kiddos hugging me so that was awesome. Milled about. Talked to Scottie, Jennifer, Alan, Doug and some other people. Good to see those guys again and chat a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness level. Maybe cost myself 30s-1min because of "rookie mistakes". Pity about those because I was 9s slower than last year and really wanted to beat that time. But no worries because the time difference is not due to fitness.

Event comments:

I really like this race. FS did a very nice job- very well organized. I like the lake a lot, the bike course is challenging but nice and the run is the same. I am really glad that the results were up quickly this time but a pity the overall results are messed up (they haven't subtracted out the start times yet) and there are no rankings for the SBR parts relative to others. Hopefully they will sort that out.

Turns out that 40s is what separated me from #19 and #12 overall, so that wasted time actually cost me quite a few places in the standings.

Turns out I came in 2nd in my age group- about 80 seconds slower than #1. So fun to place. My brain was frazzled before this race so I am not surprised at the lack of clarity in decision-making. Just lots going on at work and at home with Ryan getting sick on Fri night. For Kure Beach I am just ditching the garmin and am going to stop overthinking all this.

Turns out that 40s separated me from 19th to 12th place. Sucks to have basically cost those places due to silly stuff.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:20 | 820 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 21/153
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Big triangle. Nice lake to swim in actually.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:37 | 10.5 miles | 21.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 0/153
Ave HR was 147. Basically started up there and stayed pretty constant throughout.
Wind:
Course: Loop with some decent rollers. Not an easy 10.5 mile course by any means.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:13 | 03.1 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 0/153
Performance: Good
14:09 for first 2 miles 7:01 for last 1.1 Ave HR was 154
Course: Winding uphill for a mile or so, then flatish then down. Little hill to finish which is sorta painful!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon

2012-04-29 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4180072

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon

Nice race boet. Very nice ride considering how much/little you have ridden. I have always thought that course was a challenge. Once you turn right at the Farmers market it is a long pull up and over the interstate and then it keeps going up until you turn right on Tryon.

Stop messing about with the damn garmin and just go.

2012-04-29 10:06 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
You looked strog out there. Good to see you racing. The little one looks adorable! Nice race and Linda Hughes has your AG award!
2012-04-30 2:44 AM

New user

Sounds like a pretty solid race with the usual little hassles. I wonder if those can ever be eliminated, but perhaps with more and more experience they will eventually be phased out. The kids will also get older and the energy saved on organising them will, hopefully, compensate for getting older yourself. It is somewhat surprising that your overall time is not better than last year, though. I would have imagined that the cumulative effect of your training would have paid dividends, even though you were not able to work on all aspects, such as the cycling, equally. The 30 seconds lost on that leg, sounds quite a lot. However, it is better to play it safe round the corners, than be sorry. Your pacing during the run seemed pretty good. It will be nice if the full and comparative results will eventually be provided by the organisers. It adds interest value. If the overall mental effort gets too much, take it down a peg.
2012-04-30 4:29 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Way to kick a$$ and take names.  I agree with Daryn-stop with the Garmin crap.   I reset the Cateye before leaving for the swim, and press the start button on my Timex when the race starts, I cross a transition mat, or when it's over.  In a sprint, just GO!  Very well done though sir, very well done.  Might have to try that one next spring.

2012-04-30 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Great race! You smoked the bike and had a solid run! Seems like we had similar issues with Garmins! Nice job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed