United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 46s
Overall Rank = 62/464
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

I did not register, so got to the race site early so I could take care of that with little issue. Then, I just waited.
Event warmup:

Ran 10+ minutes easy and then did some drills and strides. I was good and sweaty when I squished in to the crowd.
Run
  • 23m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't run a 5k since this one last year, so was curious to see how I would do. I was shooting for under 25 minutes. I was a little worried at the first mile I wouldn't be able to maintain a 7:40 pace, but kept pushing on. I felt fine. Not that it was "easy," but I wasn't dying, either. The cool thing, though, is this time is only about 1 minute off my fastest 5k time ever! And that was run way back in the '80s...

I ended up 2nd finisher in my age group, but took 1st because the lady who finished ahead of me moved up to overall master's. Unfortunately, I didn't stay for the awards.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front. I wasn't too far back, but because they start walkers at the same time, there are a lot of people who just line up in the front regardless of pace. So, the start is a little bit of a cluster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a very easy 8-10 minutes around the block.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nada. Some races are just all good.

Last updated: 2012-04-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:46 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 62/464
Performance: Good
I hit the first mile in 7:40 and was sure the race was blown. Then, the next mile came up right at 7:00. I knew that couldn't be right, especially when the last 1.1 was over 9:00. Overall, maintained a steady 7:40 pace average.
Course: Starts down the street from the Clarion Ledger and then loops around to the coliseum, through the parking lot, and then up, up, up a big, big hill, before turning back down and finishing in front of the newspaper offices.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?