General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobars on Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-25 11:37 AM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Aerobars on Road Bike
My LBS is telling me they don't recommend putting aerobars on my C-dale R1000 road bike. I would like to put on a pair of Profile Jammers. The bike as is (i did have it fitted) fits me really, really well. I am comfortable riding in the drops when I am in race mode, but feel a little too curled up to be comfortable for long periods. I think the Jammers would allow me to ride in an aggressive position for a longer period of time with more power on the longer stretches.

I have and will use the bike for racing, as well as, long rides

My questions:

1) Is it a bad idea to put Jammers on my road bike — particularly if I want to do some group rides, centuries, etc?

2) Is it easy to take them off and put them back on again depending on the ride I will be doing?

3) Are there Jammers that clip on?

Thanks for any advice, thoughts, suggestions.

2006-05-25 11:59 AM
in reply to: #434128

User image

Montana
Subject: RE: Aerobars on Road Bike
We have the same bike-I commend you on your taste. Mine is the flat back from last year and her name is BlackBetty (hence my screenname).

I have the Profile Carbon Stryke clip-on aero bars.

1) I don't think it's a problem unless your road group says something about it. When I go on group rides, I never use the aero bars anyway-ride in the drops or on the hoods

2) While this model is light and simple to install and adjust, it is somewhat time consuming to take on and off a lot-too many adjustments. I used them over the winter when I rode on my trainer, then took them off initially. Now that they are back on, I'll probably leave them alone. You may need to find an alternative place for your computer-I bought a mount that fits between the bars, or you can mount the computer sideways on the bar (although you will have to be able to read sideways). Your bike is shimano flight-deck equipped, but I don't have that yet, just my cheap wireless cateye computer.

3)yes

Edited by blackbettybambalam 2006-05-25 12:02 PM

(profile_carbon_stryke.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
profile_carbon_stryke.jpg (16KB - 7 downloads)
2006-05-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: #434159

User image

Master
CT
blackbettybambalam - 2006-05-25 11:59 AM

We have the same bike-I commend you on your taste. Mine is the flat back from last year and her name is BlackBetty (hence my screenname).

I have the Profile Carbon Stryke clip-on aero bars.

1) I don't think it's a problem unless your road group says something about it. When I go on group rides, I never use the aero bars anyway-ride in the drops or on the hoods

2) While this model is light and simple to install and adjust, it is somewhat time consuming to take on and off a lot-too many adjustments. I used them over the winter when I rode on my trainer, then took them off initially. Now that they are back on, I'll probably leave them alone. You may need to find an alternative place for your computer-I bought a mount that fits between the bars, or you can mount the computer sideways on the bar (although you will have to be able to read sideways). Your bike is shimano flight-deck equipped, but I don't have that yet, just my cheap wireless cateye computer.

3)yes

Thanks! I love this bike. Its a 2006 — Ice Blue. Fits me like it was made for me and I love how responsive it is.

I love the name you gave to yours—keep hearing the riff in my head

So you are not using the Jammers then? Did you have to make adjustments to the seatpost and stem to get comfortable in the aerobars. Do you have to reach to get at the grips.

I would just not use the aerobars in a group ride situation either. Common sense really. Don't know how fussy folks get about this.

I can see how rearranging the computer would be necessary. I have a cateye astale 8 mounted
in the standard arrangement.

I will check these out. Seems like it is working well for you.

Thanks!
2006-05-25 12:40 PM

User image

Montana
I bought the carbon stryke, and I did feel stretched out a little when aero. I needed to install a shorter stem on the handlebars anyway (my torso is not proportional to my inseam)-and after this adjustment, taking out some spacers on the headset to bring it down and adjusting the seat nose down a bit, I found the carbon stryke was comfortable so I kept them. It does look like the jammers are designed for this issue, and are cheaper, so maybe you want to go with a clip-on version of the jammers.

Be sure to check out ebay, and if they don't work you can always sell them back.
2006-05-25 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've got a set of the Profile Design Carbon Strykes on my Cannondale R700.  I really like their adjustability.  I did two combination bike fitting / Computrainer sessions last year with my coach to get them dialed in.   I've measured & documented  everything on my set-up, but with all the tweaking and fine-tuning I've done I'd still be reluctant to take them off and on very frequently.  My shade tree car mechanic background tells me that re-torquing the clamps all the time really isn't the best thing for either the bolts or the tubes.

I don't do much group or paceline riding.  When I do, most of the guys I ride with have tri-bikes, so they certainly don't say anything about my clip-ons. 

2006-05-25 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
I just put a set of the Carbon Profile Jammers on my Trek 1500 road bike. They were very easy to install and very comfortable to use. They would probably fit me a bit better with a shorter stem, but all in all I have been very happy with them. Someone on this board, velocomp I think, siad that the Jammers were perfect for putting on a raod bike without having to change other parts of your setup.

2006-05-25 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Yep that was me... Jammers work well. They are fine for centuries and group rides if the group doesn't mind. I stopped ridding with my local club because I don't like taking them on and off and I train mainly for tris. I did have several people tell me they made a template out of wood that lets them put the bars on and off easilly. Not sure how they do this, but it seems reasonable.
2006-05-25 1:25 PM

User image

Master
CT
Thanks everyone for your advice on this.

It seems like it would be good to get fit again on the bike with the aero bars as I could see how stem might need to be lowered and seat adjusted.

Probably agree that it would be best not to have them off and on all the time.

Some shops seem not to be willing to do this.

They would prefer to see me a tri bike : )
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobars on Road Bike Rss Feed