General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 98/317
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 out of the house by 4AM to be there by 6:15. Driving down from Athens to Carrollton is a bad way to start your day but had to do it since I couldn't sleep at my brother in laws they were out of state for the weekend. Bad planning on my part. Didn't eat breakfast either just sipped on some water and gatorade.
Event warmup:

Checked in and go on my bike rode the first hill out of transition to determine if I should be in the small chain or big chain since I knew my heart rate is usually high coming from swim.Right before swim start warmed up by swimmig 100-200 yards up and down to check the goggles etc.
Swim
  • 11m 48s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow this swim was insane. First OWS with a mass start and a wetsuit and it was a mad house. Pushing, grabbing, kicking and just crazy. Finally calmed down after the turnaround (I think that was 200 meter mark) and I got into some calmer water and was able to push nice and steady. Didn't want to push the swim too much I knew the wetsuit would help but main goal was to keep the heart rate down. Some contact during the last turn but nothing too bad. Overall a good swim for me, shaved off about a minute from last year I know i can swim around 10 min but don't know how that would affect my HR and bike and run so happy there.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really not too bad for a swim, HR was where it needed to be and felt good going into the transition. Maybe push a little more and see how it affects me overall

Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Guy that zipped me up didn't zip up the wetsuit properly so had issues trying to get the wetsuit off lost 10-20 seconds there.

Need to practice getting the wetsuit off more efficiently and not panick when things don't go good right away.
Bike
  • 42m 47s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

It's definitly a challenging course in my opinion and I do have some hills around where I train. First getting out of transition you hit about half of mile up hill so I kept it in the small chain and just higher cadence. Didn't want to blow up on the first mile. Turn right after that and you have about 4 miles of nice flat/downhill terrain where you can drop the hammer I was rolling good but then after mile 5 the hills start and they don't stop until mile 12.

Some good rollers between mile 5-11(when I say rollers think big up and downs :). Tried to hammer as much as I could but I was very concious to leave somethig in the tank for the run.

Kept yo-yoying (is that a word??) with a guy from Endurance concepts so that kept it interesting.

Could have pushed it more never really felt like I was dying (I felt like I was dying on this same race twice last year) so I don't know if that was because of better training or just being conservative on the bike. Overall happy with the bike but next goal is to average out more than 20mph on my next race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

5th fastest in the AG considering where my rack was I was extremely happy with this. Grab shoes (no socks) this was a race time decision and it worked out perfect.

Nothing happy with this if my rack was anywhere closer I could have shaved off some more time
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Again took it easy the first mile I think my first mile split was 8:40 or close to that. Had a lot of foot issues since February half marathon so I didn't know how the foot would react. Felt fine after the first mile so decided to push it a bit on the second mile. Hills start right around the one mile marker and man those are some mean hills I tell ya. Pushed the 2nd mile pace was arond 8-40 overall. When I hit the two mile marker I tried to push it even more so ended up doing a negative split and overall pace was 8:30 which I was happy with due to lack of run training but I know I can be in the 7s so just need to train more.

Train the run more, don't be scared to push the envelope more. Overall happy but can do better. Need to embrace the suck and just push thru it.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat my behind down and didn't move for 10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training and need to mentally push myself some more. Took it easy on the swim and bike.

Event comments:

Great race for a first one of the season. PR by 6-7 minutes from last year and I know I can shave off at least 10 more with the good bike and run. Will be back :)

Last updated: 2012-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:48 | 656 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 0/317
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca
Course: Counterclockwise markings every 100 yards or so. Enter and exit at the same point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:47 | 13.8 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/22
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling course, first .5 miles out of transition hills and then next 4-5miles pretty rollers and downhills so you can hammer those. Miles 5-9 are horrible in my opinion lot of hills and constant up and down. Last 2-3 miles drop the hammer down
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:43 | 03.1 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/22
Performance: Average
Course: Flat first mile around the lake, turn right after and get on gravel road where HELL starts. Next two miles are all rollers and big hills and it is not an easy two miles
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-30 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

2012-05-01 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4181363

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

great job!

Yeah I echo the crazy OWS-Wasn't like that 2 yrs ago-ah well crazy for everyone!

Frank

2012-05-01 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Great day....yah, the bar fight mass starts are a shock to the system...I really hate them and have not gotten use to them.  I agree with you on the bike course....5 - 12 is harder than it seems.  

Good start to the season and good luck!

2012-05-01 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
John Tanner is deceptively difficult, regardless of how many times you might encounter the race. Way to represent!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed