World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 03m
Overall Rank = 173/2200
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 33/324
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:40 and ate half bagel with PB, two bananas and some OJ. While waiting, I would sip water and Gatorade. Made my way to the bus at Gunstock around 5am and took the ride to the transition.
Event warmup:

Short swim, but not too much.
Swim
  • 34m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was trying not to burnout, but thought I was swimming faster. I was expecting 32...oh well.
What would you do differently?:

I would say train more but I know that won't happen. Unless it's a full ironman, 20-25 hours in a 4 month time frame is about the max I can handle.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Ok this is crazy... but I couldn't find one of my socks and wasted a lot of time looking for it. I did not want to go through the race without socks. I looked everywhere and after about 1.5 minutes of looking, I decided to wear just one sock. Well after putting on my shoes and helmet, I found the sock stuck to the back helmet.... off go the shoes and on with the sock. Man I wasted time!

Double check my transition area two or three times.
Bike
  • 2h 43m
  • 56 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

No big issues on the ride. the first 10 miles felt slow but the rest seemed to fly by. I think I could have average a little faster, but really would have paid for it on the run.

Not much..
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Much better than the first transition! No big issues.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 42m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

In the first mile I got a couple of "shots across the bow" with quad cramps. It wasn't enough to stop me, just painful enough to scare me and slow me down. I was pissed because I was shooting for a 7:20ish pace and without the cramping I think it was possible. Ive had cramping issues my last few races and some of them were so severe that it cost me a lot of time.
For the rest of the race, the short but painful cramps continued off and on keeping me honest. Towards the last 3 miles my body was really hurting. I tried not to let it stop me. My knees ached, I was cramping and my stomach was killing me. I was able to keep a 7:45ish pace to finish the race, but thought I was going to die.

It's all about the training if you want a fast time. I don't train enough (like most people) but expect a fast time. My body suffers for it!
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a really rough day the day before the race. I worked packing the camper, food shopping and watching the kids all day. The minute my wife got home (2pm) I drove the camper 2 hours and then spent the next 1.5 hours setting it up. I then had to drive down to register and turn my bike in. I didn't stop from 6am to 7:30 that night. That said, I think I did the best I could considering I started training for this race about 2.5 months before.

Last updated: 2011-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/324
Overall: 0/2200
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Not bad. The buoys were to the right side which is not my strong side but it wasn't bad. You walk about .5 miles to the left for the start. You seem to wait for at least 40 minutes in line for your wave to start. I was the middle wave.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:43:00 | 56 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was fun. The first 11 and last 11 miles contained 90% of the hills. The middle section was fairly flat. A few sections were slow due to riders funneling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:42:32 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back. The first two miles were a gradual incline then flat for a mile and then up again... I found it hillier than what was described to me. The clouds broke and it was super hot and humid. I think it hit 85 which felt like 100% humidity.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes