United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 52s
Overall Rank = 400/2251
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 29/110
Pre-race routine:

Had some coffee and drank some water messing around on the computer to get woke up then picked up Kara and Dudley for the ride up to the race. I think they thought I was nuts the way I wound around the garage trying to get a spot closer to ground level. They would thank me later! ;)

Walked to the War Memorial and used the rest rooms and stretched out some inside. Having this facility before the race is a huge benefit with all the rest rooms and being out of the cool morning air.
Event warmup:

Other the stretching and the walking from the car, nothing much.
Run
  • 1h 44m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Stood at the start line with Dud and Kara until a couple minutes before the start. Moved up close to where the 1:45 pace group was supposed to be but never did see the group leader.

When the gun went off I went with the crowd, figured it would be better to move with the group then to waste a lot of energy dodging in and out. This course starts off with a couple of miles of fairly flat to down hill on fairly wide streets so by the first mile mark I was at race pace and moving well.

The miles kept clicking off and were consistently in the 7:35 - 7:45 range until mile 7. Only SNAFU I had early in the race was thinking there was an aid station coming up and taking in a gel only to find it was stills a ways off, choked on that for a bit.

About mile 7 starts the long uphill in Goodman towards Highland Park, great neighborhood support though. Even the police officers controlling traffic were yelling encouragement to the runners! Started to get warm here so when I made the turn into the park at the aid station I stopped and took off the long sleeve shirt I had on over the short sleeve tee shirt.

The next mile or so were the rolling part of the Mt. Hope Cemetery. This is where I was trying to do math in my head as my goal was to beat my PR on this course which was 1:49:48 from last year. For some reason I kept thinking I was behind and couldn't even break 1:50.

Once in the newer section of the cemetery where it flattens out I was able to pick up the pace some still thinking I was behind the pace I needed. Then a strange thing for me happened, I got a side stitch. I rarely get these and now this is 2 races in a row. Need to figure this out. So I pull off to the side and go into a walk trying to stretch it out. I got it a little better and at the next aid station I walked again and got a good drink and it seemed to be a little more tolerable after that.

About mile 11 I started doing the math again and realized I was way ahead of where I needed to be and in fact with a strong, but doable finish not only could I beat the time I wanted for this race, I could be my PR for the HM distance. Rounded the bend about a quarter mile to the finish and someone from the side said to push it and maybe get under 1:45. The clock said 1:44:52 and that is the time on the results posted at the race site. This morning on the website though that time was listed as chip time and the gun time was about 25 seconds slower with a note about something being incorrect at the start and updated today? IDK, so I am sticking with the original time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, pleased with the outcome for this time of year.
Post race
Warm down:

Got something to drink and waited for Dud and Kara, missed Dud coming in and took a while to find him. Then grabbed something to eat once Kara came in and headed to the car where they were glad we were on the ground floor!

Event comments:

They do a nice job with this race being in the 3rd year!

Last updated: 2012-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/110
Overall: 400/2251
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-04-30 1:04 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Flower City Half Marathon

2012-04-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4181396

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Flower City Half Marathon

Great job and congrates on the bad math.  You could had entire beer if you had figured out the math sooner. 

Thanks of the ride and the great parking spot. 

2012-04-30 8:12 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Mental math while running is too much work.  Just keep running

Awesome job beating the previous years time on this course!

2012-04-30 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Looked like you had a good race overall! Good Job!
2012-05-01 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Great job!  Can't believe you went that fast and had trouble with side stiches and the like.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flower City Half Marathon Rss Feed