Other Resources My Cup of Joe » feral kittens Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-30 5:06 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: feral kittens

OK, COJ, help! Long story short, but a feral cat had a nest of 5 kittens in the ivy by the fence bordering the neighbor's and my yard. Various events took place and she seems to have abandoned 4 of the 5 babies (I saw her carrying one in her mouth down the street to who knows where). So now I have 4 tiny, basically helpless kittens in my yard (mama cat doesn't seem to want to come back for the other 4). I took pity on them and fed them some milk from a dropper last night, but I really don't know what to do for or with them. I don't want them to die ( I love animals), the mother doesn't seem to want them, I don't think the shelters will take them since they are feral (plus they are so young), and I feel stuck. As terrible as it sounds, I was hoping a fox or coyote would find them and let nature be nature. Plus there is already a big enough (un-checked) feral cat population in my 'hood.

Thoughts? Ideas?

2012-04-30 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4182067

Regular
Subject: RE: feral kittens
Take the to the shelter. They may have a mama cat there nursing her young who may take on more kittens (until their ultimate destination to the chambers). The shelter will probably put them down regardless of mama cat or not but it is more humane than them dying in the wild by starvation or attack. There's not much else you can do.
2012-04-30 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You can raise them yourself. Don't feed them cow's milk though, you can buy kitten milk replacement stuff at Wal Mart or probably at your vet's too. You just mix it with water and feed them with a syringe.

They will need a heating pad (on low) and a warm box - they cannot create enough body heat to keep themselves warm. Make sure the heating pad doesn't automatically turn off and make sure they have enough room to get off of it if they get too warm.

You will have to use a warm wash cloth on their privates when you feed them to make them go to the bathroom (the mom cat would lick them and make it happen, it's pretty gross to think about but it's true!). Otherwise they just won't go to the bathroom.

We raised a kitten that was abandoned from about a week old until she was old enough to eat real cat food, then one of our friends adopted her. It was a lot of fun, really, but we had to make sure we could take care of her during the day (my husband would take her to work with him, then my mom, who was the secretary, was able to feed her). If they are still little enough and won't escape from their box then you could probably leave them during the day and just feed them on your lunch break, if you have enough time.

you might be able to contact a wildlife rescue place in your area that would be willing to take them too. Or recruit some friends and take turns caring for the kittens. I'd help you out if we were closer! Good luck!

ETA: Also, our kitten's mom was a barn cat, did not like people. The kitten became kind of a spaz as an adult but is very friendly from being handled so much at an early age.

Edited by brynn 2012-04-30 6:44 PM
2012-04-30 6:44 PM

User image

Pro
Sell them to a local Chinese resturant.
2012-04-30 7:05 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I'd take them to a shelter. They most likely will put them down but I'd rather see that then have them suffer. 
2012-04-30 7:10 PM

User image

Pro
Without house

Please take them to a shelter.  They were born wild, but they are young kittens. It is easy enough to get them into homes.

There is no such thing as a healthy feral cat population, so if they aren't someone's pet, they really need to be taken to a place that can find them homes (or, if you feel so inclined, you can take them in yourself.)

2012-04-30 9:27 PM

User image

Buttercup

How old are they?

Your action plan, should you decide to be an angel to these abandoned kittens:

• They are probably dangerously dehydrated. Give them a bowl of water; if they are too young to drink out of a bowl, give them water with a syringe.
  • Get them started on kitten formula right away. Petco, Petsmart, Walmart - any of them will have the supplies you need. In the meantime, give them some sugar water or cane syrup. Something to give them some calories.

• Call a local shelter and ask them how you can help these kittens stay alive for the short term.

Use the power of Facebook. Kittens are adorable - I bet you can find someone to provide a home for them.  Post photos of them sleeping, taking their formula, just being generally cute. Blog about their progress. Someone will take an interest.

My youngest cat was a feral kitty. He is the sweeeeeeeetest little boy. He was discovered when he was 4 weeks old - very sick, dehydrated, the mama kicked him out. My friends rescued him, took him to the vet (he had a bad infection - there was a rampant virus affecting many feral cats in the area).

He turned 7 years old last month. He's the cat's meow. You can almost the cloudy film over his right eye - the virus was making him blind.

(lorenzo hangin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lorenzo hangin.jpg (28KB - 19 downloads)
2012-04-30 9:47 PM

Yes take them to a shelter, they are possibly young enough to still be adoptable.  They will know how to get them back to health.  
2012-05-01 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
If you plan to take them to a shelter, look for a no kill shelter.  We are lucky in my area, we have a cat rescue that is no kill and a friend of mine runs a shelter that is also no kill.  They often network with other shelters to find fosters and permanent homes.
2012-05-01 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I would also suggest taking them to the shelter.  From my basic understanding feral "kittens" can be turned domestic fairly easy...
2012-05-01 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

At that age, you can get the feral out of them and they'll become great house cats.  Right now theyre too helpless and hungry to be afraid and run away.  Once they get a bit older, then they'll be feral.  

I have 8 cats, all from a feral population that live in my moms barn, all gotten when they were kittens.  Long story how we got so many, but to make it short, we got the last 3 b/c when we took 5 to the shelter, they would only take the larger 2, the other 3 were too small.  We found out a day later they euthanized ALL the kittens b/c of a suppossed outbreak of distemper (yes we called BS)  So after nursing them for 4 weeks, we couldnt give up the 3 black ladys to the shelter, knowing they would just be put down.  Thats also how we got two others, we knew they would just be put down.  You just get too attached sometimes.

Blacks cats are put down the most.  Black and white cats the second most.  Thats why we have 4 blacks and 2 B/W's

So now we have too many cats.... But I digress.

All of the cats were kittens we had to nurse, as was said before, you can do it.  It takes time as you will have to syringe feed for a while, we use this. KMR, mixed with chicken baby food (gerber stage 2)

kmr

Mix in a little chix at first,, so you can still get it though the syringe, and then adding more and homefully getting them to eat on their own after a few weeks.  You'll figure it out when they start lapping the syringe, and not suckling.

You may not be able to take them to the shelter right away as they are young.  They may ask you to ween them and get them bigger before you can bring them in.  But they will give you advise on what to do.

PM me if you have any questions.   

Edited to add: We were able to capture the feral cats in the barn and have them all fixed - the local shelter does it for free for feral cats.  The Cats keep the rats out of the barn so we want the cats, even though we cant pet them as they run away, we just dont want to add any more to the population (or my house)

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2012-05-01 9:59 AM

2012-05-01 10:12 AM

User image

Regular

?Hate to say this but feral and domestic cats are the #1 killer of song birds in North America and are reorted to be the cause of several extinct species in some of the pacific islands and Austrailia...don't even get me started on what they do to other small animals.  They are a very advanced predator.

Keep your cats inside and get the ferral kittens adopted or destroyed (I do own a cat and am not heartless).

2012-05-01 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4183522

User image

Buttercup
sea2summit - 2012-05-01 11:12 AM

?Hate to say this but feral and domestic cats are the #1 killer of song birds in North America and are reorted to be the cause of several extinct species in some of the pacific islands and Austrailia...don't even get me started on what they do to other small animals.  They are a very advanced predator.

Keep your cats inside and get the ferral kittens adopted or destroyed (I do own a cat and am not heartless).

I wonder if loss of habitat and an encroaching population has been a greater threat to birds.

I have always kept my cats indoors. I live in the city - cars are a big killer of cats.

When you live in the wild, everything is prey.

Just remembered a time when I had my cat, Blueberry, with me outside while I was doing yardwork. She was enjoying the sun. A bluejay was dive-bombing her. She didn't move a bit. I went indoors for something, came back out and the bluejay was laying on the ground, under her paw. I told her to let it go, she did and it flew away.

Edited by Renee 2012-05-01 10:20 AM
2012-05-01 11:45 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

My sister is a vet with the Humane Society and she mentioned this issue a while ago so I had her write an email of what she said someone should do:

We do the spay/neuter for a really reduced rate ($10-25) and rent traps out at no charge but we rely on the public to trap and release the cats. We don't do the actual trapping ourselves. 

It is always better to deal with this by spaying mom and not waiting til there are kittens but it is what it is. 

Usually kittens need to be 2 lb and healthy and friendly to be adopted out if the local shelter has those resources to adopt them. What I would do depends how old they are. If they are old enough to eat canned food then he should bring them in the house and feed and socialize them until they are 2 lb. If they are not even eating you can try to bottle feed them but honestly that is so tough and so many die anyway that I think it is better to put them down. What I definitely wouldn't do is just leave them there if they are truly abandoned. They will be killed by other animals or starve, much worse than humane euthanasia. 

Once they are 2 lb I would see if a shelter or rescue will take them. The alternative is to spay and neuter them and release them or find them homes privately. But I would not rehome them unless they are spayed and neutered. The cycle will just continue. 

Welcome to the world of feral cats. My only solution is spay and neuter every cat you can get your hands on before kitten season- now!  

Bottom line, if you leave them un-spayed/neutered in your yard, they either die of starvation or from some other animal or they make other baby cats.
2012-05-01 12:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Update: while feeding them (cows milk because I didn't have the opportunity to get them kitten milk) last night, they were making a major mewing racket.  Mama cat must have heard them and had a change of heart and took 2 of them back to wherever her new nest is.  So as of this morning, I am down to 2, but hoping she comes for them while I am at work.  If she doesn't, I will get the proper food for them.  I don't really want to take them in because I have 2 dogs and also don't know much about raising cats.  I think I will keep feeding them until the weekend and if mama doesn't come for the other 2 I will try to find a shelter that will take (and hopefully not kill) them.  But I many of the shelters are overrun with cats as it is and they often won't take them.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions!  Keep your fingers crossed that mama cat does the right thing!

Edited to add:  I just saw the last entry before this.  Shelters in our area have a trap and release program for ferals, too, but last I looked they do it by appointment only and are booked months out.  We had hoped to catch the mother before she had more babies (she had a litter last year, too) but she is very wily and knows to not go in the trap.

Edited by melbo55 2012-05-01 12:04 PM
2012-05-01 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4183834

User image

Buttercup
melbo55 - 2012-05-01 1:01 PM

Update: while feeding them (cows milk because I didn't have the opportunity to get them kitten milk) last night, they were making a major mewing racket.  Mama cat must have heard them and had a change of heart and took 2 of them back to wherever her new nest is.  So as of this morning, I am down to 2, but hoping she comes for them while I am at work.  If she doesn't, I will get the proper food for them.  I don't really want to take them in because I have 2 dogs and also don't know much about raising cats.  I think I will keep feeding them until the weekend and if mama doesn't come for the other 2 I will try to find a shelter that will take (and hopefully not kill) them.  But I many of the shelters are overrun with cats as it is and they often won't take them.

That is GREAT news. I was hoping you would rescue quick enough to keep them alive.

My former husband and I rescued this little guy. I knew nothing about feeding a baby bird but a quick trip to the pet store gave me enough information so that I could keep him until he had all his feathers. We called him Scooter and he lived in the house with us, 2 cats and 2 dogs. I think kittens are a little easier than a bird, but really not by much. You just feed them and clean up after them.

By the way, start posting pics of the kitties to your Facebook. I'd be surprised if someone didn't want to give them a home. Costs you nothing but a few minutes of your time.

Edited by Renee 2012-05-01 12:32 PM

(Scooter Baby.jpg)

(scooter fat and happy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Scooter Baby.jpg (43KB - 11 downloads)
scooter fat and happy.jpg (74KB - 16 downloads)

2012-05-01 2:57 PM

User image

The only thing you need to know about raising cats is how to open the can of food, and if indoor how to scoop litter.  They pretty much take care of everything else themselves
2012-05-02 12:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Final update:  last night there were still 2 kittens left that mama didn't pick up, so my husband went to the local pet store to purchase some kitten milk and a proper bottle/feeder (I was swimming).  The clerk, knowing we have dogs, looked at himstrangely and asked what this was for.  He told him the story and the owner's teen daughter overheard the conversation and said she would like to take care of them.  Husband was happily surprised, paid for the supplies and gave them to her and went home to get the kittens.

I will miss the little buggers, especially the one I dubbed 'white ears' (I made sure to say goodbye to them yesterday before I left for work just in case they were gone when I got home).  They were cute, but I'm glad the lady took them because now they won't add to the feral problem and they have a good home and I don't have to worry about them. 

2012-05-02 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4186344

User image

Buttercup

Yay! I love happy endings.

By the way, my big-butt baby dog gets chased around by my cats all the time. He runs from them.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » feral kittens Rss Feed