Team Magic, Inc.
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 51s
Overall Rank = 38/62
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel for breakfast. Drank a G2 on the way there. Got to the race site very early. Picked up my bag, got marked. Set up transition. It was a very chilly morning. Even with sweats on, I was shivering. The usual IBS issues weren't nearly as much of a problem for me. Since I was 14 weeks pregnant, I knew I wouldn't be competitive. I was just out there for fun, so the nerves were a lot less. I ate 1/2 bag of GU chomps about 20 min pre race. I checked out the run from the pool to transition to make sure I knew where I was going since it was about 1/4 mile out of, into, out of the building. It was a little confusing, but they had it marked well.
Event warmup:

Some dynamic stretching on the side of the pool.
Swim
  • 02m 49s
  • 150 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The time includes getting out of the pool and out the door. I did good on the swim. Although, clearly even with the low number of 25 some people still estimated their time very much too small. I got kicked in the face by some dude who decided he wanted to breast kick. OW! But I kept going, swimming over and around people. Seriously people, do a better job of estimating your swim time especially for a pool start. Fortunately, they put some stairs into the pool so I used those.

If I had raced AG: 2/6
What would you do differently?:

I was pleased with this time considering the conditions.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

Like I said, earlier, T1 included a very long run from pool to transition area - about 1/4 miles. And it was on rough asphalt so I really wasn't able to run all that fast. Plus it was FREEZING outside especially now that I was wet. Goodness, so cold. I decided not to rush once I was actually to my stuff because I hadn't really practiced at all and I didn't want to forget anything. I had trouble balancing to get my socks and shoes on. Oh well. Certainly not the fastest transition ever, but that's okay.

Athena: 5/5
Overall: 41/62
If I had raced AG: 3/6

Not have a baby bump making it impossible to balance on one foot. :P
Bike
  • 24m 54s
  • 6 miles
  • 14.46 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a pretty slow and comfortable pace. I got passed a LOT. I was really careful and paid close attention to the road, other cyclists, and motorists (even though the police were there and doing a great job). I'm always careful but I was super on alert this ride. I was so very very cold. With a bit of wind plus bike speed and being wet. I was unpleasantly frigid. I took the turn around very slowly.

I took some GU chomps with me on the bike but didn't eat them. My stomach was a bit bleh so I decided not to risk it on such a short race. I did drink some G2 though.

I finally made it back and very carefully dismounted my bike and headed back into transition.

If I had raced AG: 2/6

Nothing, I completed the bike leg without crashing so that was really my only goal.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I took T2 at a slower than usual speed for myself. I was fairly winded from the bike ride and knew I had a 2 mile run ahead of me. So I didn't rush too hard.

Athena: 3/5
Overall: 41/62
If I had raced AG: 5/6

Nothing for this race.
Run
  • 21m 53s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I just slogged through the run. I was slow, got passed a lot. I felt pretty good in the sun, but the shade made me shiver and a lot of the trail was shaded. Since I'm not used to these larger pregnancy boobs, I did not prepare well for this run. I should have worn a sports bra under my tri top, but the tri top has always been enough, so I really just didn't think about it. My poor boobs were so so sore - just bouncing around all over the place. I thought they might hit me in the face or something. Jeez. Any time I was alone in the woods, I would run holding them.

Other than that, I probably walked about 2 minutes total here and there. Not bad considering the hills and my lack of training lately.

I finally made it back to the parking lot area and then around the track and through the finish line. Yea! This pregnant lady completed a tri! :)

Nothing for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

No need to warm down, I was still chilly. I changed into some dry clothes ASAP which helped my boobs feel a bit better. I was still in sweats after the race. It never really got warm. So I was happy to be back in warm clothes. I ate some really good post race food! I love it when they have pasta, fruit, chips, and cookies. That's the perfect post race food to me.

We also watched the little kids mini-tris. The 2-4 year olds were adorable!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being 14 weeks pregnant. Haha!

Event comments:

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:49 | 150 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 38/62
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, down and back weaving through the lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:24:54 | 06 miles | 14.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 33/62
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:53 | 02 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 49/62
Course: Out and back, partially on sidewalk and partially through the woods on a trail, hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes