General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's Tri Tops: Input and Insights Please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-05-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4184479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Women's Tri Tops: Input and Insights Please.
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-01 3:17 PM

OK, let me throw some summaries out there for you to agree/disagree with:

1. For cup sizes above "B" most users would prefer no integrated sports bra but rather a design that allows a seperate sports bra to be worn underneath for coverage, comfort and motion control.

2. "B" cup users can go either way- some prefer a well designed, integrated bra top while others want the motion control afforded by a seperate, specific and more structured sports bra worn under a top (as above).

3. "A" cup users and below sometimes have issues with integrated sports bras and tops having too much designed-in volume. They don't provide good fit due to being too loose in most cases.

Before you raise the valid absurdity of a male writer reviewing sports bras I've enlisted 4 female testers from "A" to "C" to test-wear product and work in the photo shoots for an article I'm writing.

One thing I notice with sports bras is the tremendous influence of individual preference i performance and appearance.  It's not an easy product category to make generalizations about.

I'd say you've got a good start. Why have you stopped at C-cup with your testers? I think there's an obvious deficit in the tri/cycling apparel market to accommodate D and above women...and a DD is a world away from a C.....

2012-05-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4184592

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Thank you very much for your input.

This is, specifically, a review of De Soto's Forza tri short and top. They have been re-designed with the real world insights provided by a range of different size De Soto models and, most significantly, with the input of Tracy De Soto, an accomplished triathlete with substantial insights into technical women's race apparel design.

Interestingly though, as with many product reviews, it opens a range of new topics and directions that provide us with super valuable insights into what we buy here and why based on our customer and reader suggestions, criticisms, likes and dislikes.

For all your kind assistance here is one of these things:

2012-05-01 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4184614

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"Why have you stopped at C-cup with your testers? I think there's an obvious deficit in the tri/cycling apparel market to accommodate D and above women...and a DD is a world away from a C....."

Good question.

Mostly, the unfair application of local demographics. We have one "C" cup person who can test for us and no one larger. The rest are "B" and "A" or "AA". That's a regional phenomenon I'll suggest, endemic to the people who work and shop here. It doesn't reflect the rank n' file though.

Depending on the source a Google search reveals the average bra size in the U.S. is now a 36C up from a 34B. The trend is so prevelant that Herroom.com bloggers reported that the Olga brand recently discontinued "A" and "B" cups and starts their size run at "C" cup.

This average extends across a broad range of ages and includes the general populace, not the unique subset of women who exercise exclusively, where we may see a smaller trend.

One thing we're interested in seeing is if women want an analytical "nuts'n bolts" style approach to a technical appareal review, or if they prefer a less technical overview. We'll see. The trend suggests that women are technical and detail oriented when shopping for specialty sports apparel.

2012-05-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4182261

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

I read this thread this morning but didn't have time to reply. Lots of great comments and technical specifics. I only saw one mention of Pearl Izumi In-R-Cool Elite tri shorts... I love them. The lower waist with wide elastic doesn't roll and the dashed gripper doesn't grip too tight, it holds perfectly. 

Tri tops... hate all of them. Yes, I own several and all different brands. They are cut weird, they ride up, they are tight in the wrong places. I'm a DD and have no use for a built-in bra. I do like my Moving Comfort Fiona for running, but I love their new Jubralee style even more -no chafing FINALLY! I don't even care that it isn't quick drying. I sweat so much it is never dry anyway. Support is priority #1 in a sports bra. The tri top just needs to cover my bra, stay in place, not drag on the swim and wick sweat to keep me cool --while not chafing me. If I have to buy an XL to fit my chest, it should not have man size arm holes and the waist shouldn't be the same size as the chest. Manufacturers need to catch up. There are a lot of average size women triathletes! We're not all size 2's. Honestly, for a sprint, I would just as soon wear an Underarmour compression tank. It gets the job done and fits perfectly. I don't need any fancy pockets for a sprint, but how hard would it be to add pockets to that style? It is cut right and stretches every which way without bagging, dragging or creeping up.

2012-05-01 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4182261

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It would be nice if the length of the top was mentioned in catalog or online descriptions. One idea--the standard sizes could be offered in both regular and long lengths, similar to women's jeans. Sporthill (based in Eugene, OR, my hometown) does this for some of their products. Seems it would be a very good idea esp. given the huge variety of female body shapes in triathlon, from truly petite to tall and statuesque!
2012-05-01 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4184890

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

This:

"It would be nice if the length of the top was mentioned in catalog or online descriptions."

...and so much of the other input here have been very, very helpful. Thank you very much.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's Tri Tops: Input and Insights Please. Rss Feed  

of 4