General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 43s
Overall Rank = 33/300
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

I wanted to try and get there earlier to help setup anything that needed to be done as part of all3sports. However, apparently I had different plans when I forgot my wetsuit at home and had to go back and get it. It only cost me 30 minutes, but I was still rushing to get to the race site. Once it got there, it was pretty smooth sailing and I was setup in no time.
Event warmup:

A bike to check the gears, run around the lake (.8 miles) and just some swimming to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 10m 52s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I pushed from the start trying to keep with a main pack. Was being kicked like crazy up until 150m where it calmed down a bit. Drafting was mediocre, but I did what mattered the most: stayed calm and relaxed in the water. My times dont reflect it, but I am pretty happy with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Pickup masters swimming again, I need to just swim harder. But there is a fine line with going anaerobic and swimming just hard enough.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Fast transition as always. Flubbed the flying mount (again) so that definitely needs more practice.
Bike
  • 38m 22s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 21.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Played with 2 guys in the age group the whole time and came into T2 with them. I felt it acted as a good carrot to chase on the bike, but going back and looking at my times, I could have been faster. I was uncomfortable though if that counts for anything. Thankfully a new bike should be here in about a week.

Push more? Hard to say as I felt my effort was descent.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

I always make up a ton of time in transitions, and came out of T2 ahead of 2 others in the age group, effectively in 3rd.
Run
  • 22m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out as hard as I could trying to get the feeling in my legs again. A group of 4 guys were ahead of me, and a guy in my AG was with them, another AG guy was a few hundred feet back. I caught up with the guy in front of me but it did not last long. At the first hill I was hurting and he passed again, followed by the guy behind me who would eventually take 3rd. At that point, like in every other race I do, I checked out. I mentally gave up knowing that I had nothing on these guys in the run. My confidence in the run sucks, and it shows in my mental performance. Got stomach cramps and walked a bit, knowing that my day would end in disappointment.

hell if I know
Post race
Warm down:

Another lap on the bike course, easy effort

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental games I play on the run of every race.

Event comments:

John Tanner is a deceptively difficult course and always brings out the fast ones at the beginning of the season. Looking forward to another round at the end of the year to measure my progress.

Last updated: 2012-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:52 | 600 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/300
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:22 | 13.8 miles | 21.58 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:59 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-01 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed